Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-15-09 3:12PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Secret Lake 5/16/09

I finally managed to find one of the secret lakes (pond?) after a few excursions out to the area. It looks like a very nice like. I fished today from about 11:30-2:00 and managed one fish. It was HOT out there in the sun. The one I caught was probably 1.5-2lbs that hit a senko after it was dragged over an isolated weed clump. I saw a few bass in the shallows but couldn't get any to bite and hold on to my senko long enough to set the hook.

One funny thing: I noticed one or two snakes following me around. I was down by a little bridge that goes over the drainage and there was a snake that kept swimming back and forth about 2 feet in front of me. Later the same thing happened on the other side of the lake. I just thought it was really weird.

#2 May-15-09 6:08PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Secret Lake 5/16/09

Those snakes know you are a recent college grad!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-15-09 6:19PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

It would be nice if we can have those snakes in Alder and Beech to scare off some of those poachers smile

#4 May-15-09 6:28PM

Ernie
Administrator

Bass Hunter wrote:

It would be nice if we can have those snakes in Alder and Beech to scare off some of those poachers smile

Great idea!

Did you have a nice walk?

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 May-15-09 6:53PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I just wish I could identify species of snakes. That way I wouldn't be worried about them being venomous. My college roommate got bit by a cottonmouth while fishing one time and both his legs swelled up so bad he couldn't walk for a few days.

#6 May-17-09 6:30PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Bass Hunter wrote:

Great idea!

Did you have a nice walk?

Ernie, my wife and I had a great walk. We love walking all three lakes on nice days. Saw those beautiful Koi near your cove the other day. That white one must be at least 30 pounds.

How was the Beaver Dam outing?

#7 May-17-09 6:32PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Dominion Dan wrote:

I just wish I could identify species of snakes. That way I wouldn't be worried about them being venomous. My college roommate got bit by a cottonmouth while fishing one time and both his legs swelled up so bad he couldn't walk for a few days.

The poisonous snakes have diamond shaped heads. Their cheeks are puffier than non-poisonous snakes because thats where the venom sacs are.

Regardless, I'm freaked out by ANY snake, poisonous or not.

#8 May-17-09 7:29PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i was walking the waters edge today, focused on fishing, when I almost stepped on a black snake.

my heart skipped three beats!

I gave it a wide berth. even though I know they are harmless.

My favorite used to be wading the river, when a snake would swim up to 5' away, then dive.

Makes me want to squeal like a schoolgirl!

#9 May-18-09 6:35PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Which lake did you see the snake in? I have never seen a snake in any of the AV lakes in all my years of fishing there.

#10 May-19-09 4:50AM

skvan

Seen snakes in and around Heron pond quite often. Im with big Jeff in wanting to squeel like a school girl when I see them anywhere near me

Skvan

#11 May-19-09 6:42AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Short snake story. Everyone knows carp like mulberries. Schoolhouse pond in Upper Marlboro had a large mulberry tree overhanging a pier cutting across the lake between the county office bldg and a townhome development. During mulberry season when ripe berries would drop in the pond, big numbers of large carp would hang out under the tree for a quick snack. Of course those brutes are fun on light tackle, so my son and I would be there in the evening baiting up with the berries.

Now on to the snake(s). One evening I heard a loud splash behind me and turned to see a large snake in the center of the rings. Curious, I thought, but went about my fishing. Several minutes later there was a thud about 10 feet away on the wood pier. It startled me, and I turned in time to see a second snake slide into the water.

What's that old saying? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me? I took this opportunity to slide out from under the mulberry tree to look up and count at least 10 more snakes wrapping around or hanging from limbs up that tree. Don't know if it was the berries or hoping to grab a bird that coaxed them up there, but for my son and I it was a great time to switch to bass fishing.

This was the summer before the big ice winter when trees were down all over. For some reason that mulberry tree must have been a threat, because it was cut down while all the other trees around were spared. I was spared the urge to squeal like a schoolgirl, but something tells me that some of the walking commuters might not have been so lucky.

On a side note, did you know that carp like potato bread, and you can use it to chum them close enough to drop a hook wrapped in a bread ball right in front of their nose.
Sorry the short story dragged on so long.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#12 May-19-09 10:06AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Osprey, I was wading in a river one time and a similar thing happened. I was wading underneath some overhanging tree branches and I guess I spooked a snake because one dropped down into the water and swam away quicker than I could even see what it was. It scared me senseless because all I heard was a large splash behind me and I didn't even see what it was. I didn't realize it was a snake until a second one dropped down in front of me a few steps later!

#13 May-19-09 11:38AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Put that sucker in one of your lakes, it'll cure your tresspasser problems then and there.

Curly wrote:

And might as well add this big boy too................ big_smile
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb11 … ator-1.jpg
And you fellas are worried about small snakes in Ashburn? smile  You should visit some of my jungle honey holes lol lol lol

#14 May-19-09 11:59AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

holy cow Curly! that crocodile is HUGE!

#15 May-19-09 12:44PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Curly wrote:

Dominion Dan wrote:

You don't want to know what was inside him.............when they opened him up.  Can't post that photo here.

Humans?

#16 May-19-09 12:58PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Curly wrote:

Dominion Dan wrote:

You don't want to know what was inside him.............when they opened him up.

HECK YES I DO!

#17 May-19-09 3:32PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

wow. That is both amazing and sad.

#18 May-19-09 4:19PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Osprey wrote:

Short snake story. Everyone knows carp like mulberries. Schoolhouse pond in Upper Marlboro had a large mulberry tree overhanging a pier cutting across the lake between the county office bldg and a townhome development. During mulberry season when ripe berries would drop in the pond, big numbers of large carp would hang out under the tree for a quick snack. Of course those brutes are fun on light tackle, so my son and I would be there in the evening baiting up with the berries.

Now on to the snake(s). One evening I heard a loud splash behind me and turned to see a large snake in the center of the rings. Curious, I thought, but went about my fishing. Several minutes later there was a thud about 10 feet away on the wood pier. It startled me, and I turned in time to see a second snake slide into the water.

What's that old saying? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me? I took this opportunity to slide out from under the mulberry tree to look up and count at least 10 more snakes wrapping around or hanging from limbs up that tree. Don't know if it was the berries or hoping to grab a bird that coaxed them up there, but for my son and I it was a great time to switch to bass fishing.

This was the summer before the big ice winter when trees were down all over. For some reason that mulberry tree must have been a threat, because it was cut down while all the other trees around were spared. I was spared the urge to squeal like a schoolgirl, but something tells me that some of the walking commuters might not have been so lucky.

On a side note, did you know that carp like potato bread, and you can use it to chum them close enough to drop a hook wrapped in a bread ball right in front of their nose.
Sorry the short story dragged on so long.

Osprey, I am a Carp fanatic. I take my daughter fishing all the time and when I hook unto one, I let her land the fish. I know how to catch the common and king carp but I have never learned how to bait these grass carp. They won't bite anything I throw at them. Very frustrating.

Do you know how to catch these monsters? There are a couple of dinosaurs in Cedar i'd love to tangle with..

#19 May-19-09 6:32PM

rebellionnum54

have you tried corn?

#20 May-19-09 6:57PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

I have tried corn, dough, marshmallows etc. but these grass carp won't hit anything. Ernie has seen me out there with all that stuff chumming too. I tried fly fishing them too. No luck.

I think grass carp only eats weeds and when summer arrives, they have more than enough to eat with all the duckweed that overtake the lakes. I saw a huge one sunning on the surface in Ernie's cove the other day. It looked like a whale.

I bet hooking on to that sucker would wake up the whole neighborhood!

#21 May-19-09 8:47PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Bass Hunter wrote:

Osprey, I am a Carp fanatic. I take my daughter fishing all the time and when I hook unto one, I let her land the fish. I know how to catch the common and king carp but I have never learned how to bait these grass carp. They won't bite anything I throw at them. Very frustrating.

Do you know how to catch these monsters? There are a couple of dinosaurs in Cedar i'd love to tangle with..

Here's a timely thread from Tidal Fish on carp catching. There's mention of a hair rig. You can probably google Carp Anglers Group and find some info on that. CAG has a "fish in" at the tidal basin every year sometime in May. I spent a day watching them several years ago and they really catch a load of carp on that crazy gear.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/chesape … ch-em.html

#22 May-20-09 6:46AM

skvan

Oatmeal is what a lot of people in the UK use for catching grass carp. Talking to some Korean friends around here who go carp fishing because they like to eat them (yuck) they swear by oatmeal and cherry tomatoes

Might be worth giving it a shot if you have tried everything else and want to try and catch them

Last edited by skvan (May-20-09 6:53AM)

Skvan

Board footer