Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-25-24 12:22PM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

Wed Afternoon chunks

It's been about 3 weeks since I was on the river and it was time.  From Facebook and George's call the other day, I knew the river is on!  Started work early and was on the river fishing at 2:45.  I went to an area that is really good in spring when river levels create some prime feeding/resting areas, with one area having 2 chutes of faster water bringing food down into a smaller area where I can stand in water and fish. Keep that in mind 😉

Smaller swim baits in a darker green are a staple for me but I was a little lazy and wanted to get fishing so I kept on the random 4" lighter color one rigged and also put my trusty brown and orange KVD 1.5 square bill crankbait. Left chatterbait and finesse craw on to start. 

First stop gave me 3 smallies pretty quickly throwing that swimbait in a slightly calmer area between 2 faster riffle areas.  All went about 13" and with at least one looking like it had eggs. Got a few more hits with nothing moved to the next area.  Beached the kayak on a little grass island/sand bar and started throwing the swim bait directly in one of the 2 faster current chutes and picked up a few more 13-13.5" smallies
https://images2.imgbox.com/0e/67/y3BQCNL7_o.jpg

Fish were actively feeding as it was either weight or a solid tick and they grabbed it.  Tried letting the finesse craw drift with movement but no takers. Went back to throwing the swim bait and got a solid weight on the rod.  Couldn't tell at first if it was the current or fish itself but when it came to the top it was all fish.  Took my time and got the ALMOST 19.5" landed that went 3# 10 oz on scale. 
https://images2.imgbox.com/7d/12/U1WdFVK2_o.jpg

Threw out the crankbait and.got a small one and then the tallest 17" I have caught.
https://images2.imgbox.com/1c/fc/COUBc7CL_o.jpg

Ended up with 10 total and all fish were fat and sassy with more than one having eggs.  Solid 2 hours with first 19"+ smallie of the year

#2 Apr-25-24 12:26PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Wed Afternoon chunks

Not bad for 2 hours on the river.

#3 Apr-25-24 12:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice chunks for sure!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Apr-25-24 12:46PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Great fish!  Congrats on a successful outing.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#5 Apr-26-24 4:58AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

are you sure you didn't catch a bunch of carp?  They look that big!!  Great job in such a short period of time.

#6 Apr-26-24 6:19AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

You do a great job with your pictures.  I struggle using my phone and can only do it with both hands.  Have been putting the board at an angle to try to keep fish touching the top but skews the angle of the photo.  Charging up batteries to use my trusty cannon that is easier with one hand,

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#7 Apr-26-24 8:17AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

drxfish wrote:

You do a great job with your pictures.  I struggle using my phone and can only do it with both hands.  Have been putting the board at an angle to try to keep fish touching the top but skews the angle of the photo.  Charging up batteries to use my trusty cannon that is easier with one hand,

Thanks for that. When I am solo, I try to put the front of the board at a slightly downward angle and it does seem to help. Although with that 19, I think I took five pictures before I got one. I liked because it's still flopped off the board a couple times. Then I just snap a couple quick pictures with my phone. Those big ones definitely don't like their pictures taken

#8 Apr-26-24 12:15PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Really healthy smallies! Great report!

tight lines

#9 Apr-29-24 6:20AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice fatties!

Board footer