Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-24-09 1:10PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

When is it better to fish?

With some warm weather expected this week, I'd like to get out and do some fishing but I'm not quite sure which day would be best.  Would it be best to get out on Thursday (mid-day) when temperatures are expected to be in the mid to upper 50's or would it be better to get out Friday after the high temps of Thursday have had a chance to warm the waters.  The over night highs for Thursday night are well above freezing while the over night temps for wednesday are right around freezing.

Normally I'd pick Thursday as the day to get out but after some thought, maybe too much thought, I'm starting to doubt that decision.

What do you guys think? Should I just get out there and fish?

Thanks,
Andrew

#2 Feb-24-09 7:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: When is it better to fish?

That's way too much thinking for me....just GO!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-25-09 4:57AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

We have not had a consistent warming trend for a while, yet we have had a couple of really cold nights. The water is going to warm up nicely all day Thursday so I would target late Thursday or Friday morning.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Feb-25-09 5:54AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks guys.

Patrick, that's exactly what I was thinking and why I'm hesistant on fishing thursday. The high over night temps of thursday and the low temps of wednesday. Maybe i'll just enjoy the weather thursday and just get out.

#5 Feb-25-09 6:09AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Some good advice already, the key being go when you can. I've had times in the past when I chose between 2 days and decided on the latter only to have something come up and not go at all.

If that's not a problem I would break it down ths way. This time of the year though, a 1 or 2 degree rise in temperature can make all the difference of the bass feeding or not. So while Friday may look more likely for that, Friday also looks like it brings rain and wind. Are you fishing from the yak? If so, the wind may be a pain on Friday. Personally I would choose Thursday afternoon and look for the warmest water on the lake.

#6 Feb-25-09 6:20AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks Paul,
  I was leaning toward that as well. I'm going to do some shore fishing at some lakes in my area. Haven't taken the yak out this year but plan to soon.

#7 Feb-25-09 6:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

Amazingly, FL Peacocks, who are a very warm water species, are heavily affected by a drop of just a few degrees in water temps.

If I were a local, I would have chosen a better (warmer) day to fish but I only had that particular timeframe so you take it and make the best of it. It sure beats doing most anything else!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer