Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-22-23 5:26AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Sunday May 21 Fail at Quantico Chopawamsic creek

So I launched in the AM from the scenic view lot with a lot of eastward wind.  I was about .5 out when I noticed my yak was low in the water compared to when I launched.  It's a freelfree 11.5 and it's very stable and I was even standing and casting just 15 minutes prior.  I was in a sitting position and turned to check my gear when the kayak rolled and I flipped out.
I had only made about 30 casts to that point and no bites, so that's my fishing report!
I was pretty shocked about flipping over.  lost a rod, shoes, sunglasses, my phone and a little pride.  The wind made it harder as it pushed everything that floated away.  For some reason I swam out to get the gear after flipping my yak over.  My feet touched the ground, but it was like quick sand because of th upper layer of crud that sucked me in (where I lost my crocs, lol).  Anyway, I decided that swimming out for the gear was not worth the risk with the winds and decided to swim back and use the yak as my float.  I made my way back in the yak by using something I saw on youtube (it was comeonefish's video of getting back in).  Shout out to Comeonfish because it trained me for this moment.  However after a short distance to retrieve my floating gear I flipped out again!
I made my way to the shore line (thankfully I wasn't too far) and assessed the situation.  First, I had to retrieve my paddle and my floating fishing bag.  My cell was lost for sure and the only thing that mattered was getting back to the ramp.  I bailed what water I could and then opened the hatch of the yak to find it was filling with water!  It was taking on water slowly so I figured I could make it back the distance against the wind.  Well after another hour and flipping over again....I finally made it back.  It was disheartening as I pulled the plug in the rear of the yak and watch is drain so much water.  It never gave me this problem, so obviously I wasn't prepared.  I'm either going to get a new yak or just give it up completely at this point.  With the new 22ft boat arriving next week I'd rather be on something more reliable. 
Lesson learned for me guys.....keep it all on floats if it's valuable.  I estimate it cost me 2k yesterday at the very least with the gear lost (phone alone was 1200).  The yak I haven't decided yet, but if I get rid of it....that'll add to the cost.  Overall, I'm a strong swimmer and water survival qualified through the Marine Corps at the highest level and I still realized that it's safety over stuff in those conditions....that's what I'm at least proud of after all this.

#2 May-22-23 5:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Sunday May 21 Fail at Quantico Chopawamsic creek

Glad you are OK.

This episode resonates with me on lots of levels.

Joe An has been to my house and showed me how to get back on a yak after flipping it. He is hard core to the bone. I flipped twice (once was in a foot of water) and have lost some nice gear. George witnessed my Loomis rod and Stradic  reel as it sank and went away from me. Like you, I made the determination to make sure I was OK and not risk getting in trouble for a rod and reel.

And I also took on water once. My yak was sinking!! I had to walk and drag the yak along the shoreline back to the ramp. Maybe a mile or so.

The moral of the story is that I don’t own any yaks anymore! lol

Go enjoy your boat!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-22-23 6:59AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

So sorry to hear.  Glad you are ok.  After flipping many times in an ocean yak at a shallow beach in Nicaragua, I decided yaks were not for me.  Once I started having serious shoulder issues, it sealed the decision.

Good reminder about protecting your valuables.  I have dry bags and boxes, but don't usually use them in my boat for phone, keys and wallet.  Always on rafts, but accidents can happen on any watercraft.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 May-23-23 5:00AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks guys.  I know you all understand and have empathy for the situation.  I did pick up my new phone yesterday, but it kinda sucks I didn't back up all my files and photos from it before.  And with all this two factor authentication for all things using your phone it made the recovery even worse.  Verizon folks were laughing saying....we're sending you a text and....oh wait....you don't have your phone. lol.

#5 May-23-23 5:38AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Technology...am I right?

Last edited by drxfish (May-23-23 5:39AM)

#6 May-23-23 8:27AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Dam ....

Sorry for the loss of gear & pride

Real question is why did the yak flip - twice?  Seems like a pretty stable boat - especially on flat water?  The seat isn't sitting to far up - it has to be close to COG?  And the secondary stability on the yak looks sufficient?  Second question is why was it full of water.  Those things are pretty well sealed?  Do you have a leak or crack?  Having a bunch of water inside the hull can cause all kinds of issues?

If you continue fishing from a yak, then put everything in a dry bag ups and strap everything down or keep it in a hatch is a great lesson.

#7 May-23-23 8:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

When a yak gets full of water (in the hull)...you loose your stability. That's what I found when my yak filled up. Could never get stable.

#8 May-23-23 11:01AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

right!  I found two cracks along the seem where the back corner of the seat is.  I looked it up and it seems to be a common problem with this particular kayak.  So it basically started taking on water as soon as I sat in it.  When I got back to the ramp I lifted my yak on the tail of the truck and popped the plug in the back corner and it flowed out strong for like 10 minutes.  I opened the hatch to see and it was full of water.  I was seriously lucky to even get back.....I'm just shaking my head over it.  My pride....no big deal....I'm not ashamed at all.  My disappointment in the gear is the problem.  Gonna be hard to get that trust back.

#9 May-24-23 8:25PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Glad to hear you are ok! Joe is hardcore and one of the things he taught me was to stuff the kayak with pool noodles bc if it cracks and begins to fill with water then the noodles add buoyancy and displace water. Also,
I carry a pump at all times so I can pump water out and try to stay afloat.

#10 May-25-23 4:29AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Redfish12 wrote:

Glad to hear you are ok! Joe is hardcore and one of the things he taught me was to stuff the kayak with pool noodles bc if it cracks and begins to fill with water then the noodles add buoyancy and displace water. Also,
I carry a pump at all times so I can pump water out and try to stay afloat.

I definitely could have used noodles and a pump!  I'll have to add that to the list!  thanks for the insight!

#11 May-25-23 4:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

It's amazing to note how many people Joe has touched in the yak community. He's one of a kind!

I first met him, years ago, at the Algonquin ramp. He was coming off the water but not in a yak. He had been snorkeling looking for habitat. When he came off the cold water, we chatted and I could see he was cold so I told him to get in my truck to warm up. We became instant friends.

Bob and I saw him at Occoquan this spring and he said that he was getting ready to retire from his job.

#12 May-25-23 10:47AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Coosa's had that problem too.  They sent all the old buyers a new yak.  Should check & see if Freefeel would do the same

I carry tenatious tape - it'll get you back to the ramp when your yak springs a leak.

edit.  Back in the day we'd use duct tape.  Dry the yak, apply, then heat.  Temporary but worked

Last edited by hookup (May-25-23 10:47AM)

#13 May-26-23 5:31AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I went through feelfree's process for fixing known crack with extra material I had and I tested it out yesterday in the driveway.  I sat in the seat while filled with water on top and no leaks.  I stood on it and bounced around and still good.  Next test is to put it on saw horses and fill the inside to see if any water comes out from the bottom.  If it seals tight, I'll start planning on noodles and pump!

#14 May-26-23 12:29PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Progress!!

Board footer