Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-19-23 5:46AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Boating on the Potomac Opinions Wanted

Folks,  I need some opinions please.

I recently got rid of my deck hull 19 ft boat due to it not being the right one for the potomac.  It was great at lake anna, but since moving I realized that maybe a V hull would be better for all the chop and such.

So, I'm in the market for a new boat.  Maybe this year or next (DC boat show is coming up so I may buy something there).

Needs:  Leisure.  good cushioned seating for relaxing, stretching out, and comfort.  A Head or at least a location to set one in.  Hard top or bimini top that provides good cover (I'm not a sun worshipper). 

Wants:  Jet power instead of outboard and high gunwales.  something between 20-25 ft in length keeping it below the yacht standards.  Purchase new.

Would like:  quality build and low maintenance (as much as can be) and not solely for fishing, but something I can use for both fishing and leisure.

No go's:  Don't want anything for towing a wake board.  I don't believe a center console would work in this case.

Ideally, this is not for the extended family or friends.  This is for my wife and I so I don't care about how many people it can hold.  I do care about safety on the water, so something that is fairly safe (or as can be) for hull.  This will either be docked or in a boat motel depending on size.

Price point:  <100k

Anyone have suggestions on boats I should research?

#2 Apr-19-23 4:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Boating on the Potomac Opinions Wanted

Going to the boat show the best idea. There are other boat shows as well but I don't know the timing.

I also think that the jet part is going to narrow you down a bit.

Let me sniff around some and see if we can't find some candidates for you.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-19-23 8:06PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

There is someone at my office selling a Yamaha 195 FSH if you are interested in something like that. Checks many of your boxes.

#4 Apr-20-23 4:56AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I do have plans already to go the DC boat show on May 6-7.  I also need to just throw out there that I want something larger than 20 and less than 25.  I am looking to buy new with the used prices being pretty much the same.  I'd rather have my own starting from scratch rather than buying someone elses stuff at almost the same price. 
I don't remember posting it here, but I sold a Yamaha FXSHO wave runner (2017) with 60 hours on it for 15k just last year I think.  All I ever did was change the oil and new plugs.  Wasn't expecting that much at all and the offers kept coming in.  Used market is crazy unless something has changed in the last year.

#5 May-08-23 5:11AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Update.  After seeing the Yamaha in person, it didn't feel right.  I ended up buying a boat yesterday at National Harbor.  A Grady White!!!  Will take delivery in the next week or two.  I'm on travel this week, so won't have time to lock down the extras.

#6 May-08-23 5:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

The  Grady White will serve you well!!

#7 May-08-23 6:10AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Tight lines!

#8 May-08-23 6:24AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

The inspection first hand was very important in this.  The quality difference is amazing between all boats.

#9 May-08-23 11:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

All you need now is to fill your empty seat with my butt

;-)

#10 May-08-23 4:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

This one?

https://i.imgur.com/gvKMJZi.jpg

23 footer.

#11 May-10-23 5:00AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

It's close.  A Freedom 215 in seaglass.  First and foremost, the build quality was so obvious between all the boats.  I was a little shocked that some were sold at certain prices (Starcraft being one of those....79k for a 22ft) and the quality was below my expectations for the price to be honest.  It was a no brainer on the Grady with the quality materials used.  Although it's not the directional jet drive I was looking for from the yamaha, the wife and I felt this was the clear winner and easy purchase decision.  High quality, highest value retention, leading safety and build and a head!  lol

#12 May-10-23 5:02AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

All you need now is to fill your empty seat with my butt

;-)

you bet!  I am going to take a few trips on my own to get acquainted with the local waters and see how long it takes to get to certain areas (it will be in a boatel in Aquia).  I can always just pick you up at the Occoquan ramp.

#13 May-15-23 12:36PM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

All done and now just waiting delivery on May 31.  Added a full cushion filler and bimini extension for the bow.  Comes with 250 Yamaha.  Should be sweeeet!  Already half paid for and the remainder is on my own pledge loan for 2.2 apr (if you have the funds but don't want to commit to paying it outright you can take a loan on your own money).  Will post pics when I get it!

Board footer