Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-13-23 7:41AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

4-12 Occoquan Shad Fishing

I'm back! kinda haha. It's been awhile but here's a short report.

Met up with a buddy at occoquan regional park at 9am. headed over to the usual shad spot where there were maybe 3-4 other boats and a handful of guys fishing from shore.

Bite was on and off and I felt like the shad were moving around a bit. I only took a picture of the first hickory but it was a fatty....i'll try and upload it later if i remember how to big_smile

It was windy and water temps were 60-62ish. I believe low tide was around 9am but it felt like the tide was going out the whole time we were there. maybe because of the wind.

I saw a few boats doing fairly well. silver blade and chartreuse seemed to work for them. not sure which they hit for them BUT for me chartreuse was the ticket. Just had to find the depth and the retrieval rate that triggered the bite. They were mostly from middle of the channel to the wall opposite the town between the two bridges.

I had some FAT hickories and it was a fun day. No americans but i had a few doubles for hickories. If you loosen your drag enough and close your eyes, a hickory can be an american.

I had a meeting at 130 so i was off the water by 1. I ended up with 20ish landed and a few 'quick releases' that i don't count.

It was a great day to be out there and not a lot of boats, to my surprise. we were the only boat out there, at times.

Hoping to get out again before the shad are gone for the season.

#2 Apr-13-23 9:59AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 4-12 Occoquan Shad Fishing

Good stuff!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Apr-13-23 10:15AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Nice work Andrew!!

#4 Apr-13-23 1:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

Holy smokes!! Andrew went fishing!! Outstanding!

Glad you guys got some.

Send me the pic(s), I will load them up for you.

BTW, we count the quick release if it jumps jumps by the boat. That's a professional release...saves the hands! lol

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer