Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-01-21 5:27AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Pickles in Chuck County

Used to be we would have a blast back in the back of Port Tobacco this time of year on Pickles. Maybe 20 years ago..and also the back lake at Myrtle Grove..
I wonder if they still fish good?

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Dec-01-21 7:17AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Pickles in Chuck County

Bob always tells me stories from long ago of pickles in that area...

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Dec-01-21 12:02PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Port Tobacco held the MD record for a few months back in the early 60's @ 6+. Wasn't long before the Choptank took it over. My pb came on Washington's Birthday in 61. Weighed 4.75, fishing from shore on with my Dad. Was using ultralite spinning with 6# line on a lure that was older than me.

I might be 74, but I do remember some things.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#4 Dec-01-21 12:39PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I remember it was a minnow thing. Trying to find minnows around here is not easy BTW. That is why I choose to keep my own tanks so when crappie season starts I will always have minnows.

We would use a small bobber and a small split shot about 6 inches up from hook. Set at about two feet down and watch it swim around. Then like a ghost the bobber would be gone.

Fished Myrtle Grove last Sunday for trout but lake is full to the top with grass and pads. Hard to find an open spot. The back lake is the one I remember most from younger days. Lots of pickles.

Only got one trout and let it go at end of day. You know the old superstition about catching one on the first cast...Yep that was Sunday.

So it makes me think. And that song gets into my head "I dont wanna be a pickle, "

Might need to try again.. Not Port Tobacco since my boat is put away till March now.

HMMM

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer