Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-02-09 8:26AM

rebellionnum54

bait caster reel

i just got a new baitcaster reel for x mas and i put string on it and went to try it out and totally screwed it up
it has 3 knob like things and i dont know what they all do or how to cast?

#2 Jan-02-09 8:29AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: bait caster reel

The knobs are the break settings.  There is going to be a meeting in the next few weeks.  If you bring it I can show you or you can take it to dicks, get some line put on, and then ask them how to use it.

#3 Jan-02-09 8:35AM

Ernie
Administrator

Practice....practice....practice. Once you master it, you won't even want to use a spinning reel. I can show you how to use it if you want.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jan-02-09 9:34AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I can help also and if it is any consolation, I am self taught. Just remember, your thumb is the best brake the reel has.

Try a couple of things:
1. Spool up the reel, but only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full. Be sure to keep the line tight as you spool it.
2. Tie a jig on the line after feeding it through the guides.
3. Depress the gear control to let line off then slightly turn the brake nob to manage the speed that the jig drops. You want the lure to fall at a consistent, but controlled pace. That way, when you cast, the line will be controlled against the weight of the lure balanced against the speed that the spool spins thus improving the chances of a good cast and reducing the chances of a nasty bird's nest.

Good luck and congrats on your gift!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#5 Jan-03-09 11:17AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

what kind of reel is it?
the three knobs are probably spool tension, magnetic brake and drag

drag is generally knot a knob, but a "star wheel" at the handle.

its possible the three knobs hold the side plate on and the brake is an internal centrifugal braking system.

generally, for teaching someone to cast, I like to use a lure on the heavier side of what the rod is weighted for. 

tighten up the spool tension and magnetic brake and start casting.  you'll notice that you can't cast very far at all with the tension locked down.  loosen it up a little at a time.  you'll see that you get more distance but it still stops short with no backlash problems. 
you'll then reach a point where it will cast its maximum with just a little backlash at the end.

now you can start to loosen the magnetic break a little at a time to find the optimum setting for that lure. 
whenever you change lures, you'll likely have to readjust, but with time, you'll learn the feel for it and be able to throw with little or no brakes. 

there's also some tricks to picking out the inevitable backlash from time to time, but I'm not sure i can describe that on the internet.

a couple more tips - practice in the yard with just a weight, no hook.  throw and reel, repeat, until you have a good hang of it before taking it to the water.

when the lure hits the ground (or water), or if you throw it in the trees, or bushes - anytime the lure comes to a stop, clamp your thumb securely on the spool.

imagine the longest cast you are likely to make with your practice lure, and pull that much line off the reel, plus an extra 10 or 20 feet and put a pecie of electical tape on the reel at that point.  This way, when you do backlash, its only that amount and not the whole spool that gets messy. 

lastly, take up one of the local guys offers to meet up and learn how to cast.  I'm confident i could teach most anybody to cast one in a couple of hours in person, and imagine they can as well.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#6 Jan-03-09 3:00PM

rebellionnum54

thanks guys i might take u up on some of those offers if i get the time
um it is a bass pro shop extreme reel

Board footer