Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-26-21 5:41AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Kayak cart questions

Looks like the family is heading to the outer banks next summer. The house we are renting is about a 400 yard walk to the beach. 10 years ago I would have just cleaned and jerked the kayak onto my shoulder and carried everything in one trip. Now that I am smarter, I am thinking I need kayak cart. I see there are tons of plans out there for building one for about $30. Buying one isn't much more. Anyone have any personal experience with either? Personal preference? Or is this a "can't go wrong either way" kind of thing.

#2 Jan-26-21 8:35AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Kayak cart questions

I have a the Hobie (under the scupper) cart that came with it but they ain't chap and the wheels are terrible for non hard surface. They do have one with balloon wheels.

I've seen some for @$40 but it will depend of the type of yak you have.

Good luck in your search.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-26-21 8:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

C Tug - not cheap.  Get both the inflatable and hard rubber wheels for sand vs hill scrambling.  I've done 3/4 mile of a hill down to the winter hole.  Fished all day.  Then made it back up the hill afterwards.

Wallmart sells one for $30. Good for an asphalt road from the vehicle to the launch ramp.  You'll end up dragging the kayak on anything off-road

You get what you pay for

Last edited by hookup (Jan-26-21 8:51AM)

#4 Jan-26-21 10:44AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

I have an Ocean Kayak trident.  About the roughest thing I expect to use it on is sand...

#5 Jan-26-21 6:58PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

If the 400 walk is sand then you should get a cart with sand tires like a wheeleez or the sand tires for the c-tug style cart. Otherwise the more narrow wheels will kill you dragging / plowing through the sand. The other option is to just tie a rope off to the front handle and drag it. Even better, find a helper to carry the other end..

Board footer