Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-05-18 4:50PM

Ernie
Administrator

7-5-18, UP

Water level at POR was just over 3'.

Water we slightly stained, looked good!

Greg and I were supposed to fish tomorrow morning but the weather forecast scared me so we scheduled to go today. Except I had my 3 mo. back doc appointment in the AM and I was not going to miss that. We got out on the water around 11:15ish. It was warm but manageable.

We went to the XX 1st and got a few bites but no takers.

Then we went to one of John's spots but my cousins were frolicking in the water so we left them alone.

We went up to the big ledge just below the Goose and worked it hard.

A few small bites until...I got the big bite. I hooked a big smallie and it was game on! Greg was coming down from the front to get the net and for some reason, I wanted to stop the boat as we were drifting in fast current. In my haste (STUPID) to hit the Spot Lock, I high sticked the fish causing some slack and you know the rest of the story. I thought I was going to cry. I think Greg was trying to call a shrink for me.

I have no clue how big that fish was but it was a solid bruiser. I could tell you it was over 20" or maybe that it was in the high teens. I know this, it was a fighter. And I lost it!

Major disappointment!

We worked that area hard but nothing else happened.

Greg did play around with his drone...it was cool!

https://i.imgur.com/N2T998a.jpg

Initially, I wanted to stay closer to the ramp and not make the big run but it was getting hot and Greg suggested we run upriver to cool off. So we did.

While working the shoreline, we got some bites and then finally...skunk off!

https://i.imgur.com/qD5cCLb.jpg

OK...maybe not even 10" but he was fat!

Only other fish was a long ear.

https://i.imgur.com/A3w9bKs.jpg

We tried a few more spots including some repeat ones but nada. BTW, I think we threw 10-12 different baits....

I don't know if the fish just weren't biting or if they are just hiding somewhere....but I do know where a big fish lives!

Around 3 pm, it got really hot so we moved around a lot but we came back in around 5.

Now I need one of these....

https://i.imgur.com/qZlipTx.jpg

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jul-05-18 6:54PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 7-5-18, UP

Tough times up there.  Sorry you missed the big one.  That always stings.  Your grandson is a bruiser!  Too cute!  I may get out with my grandson on Saturday with the cold front.  I have an interview in DC tomorrow...

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jul-06-18 5:05AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Greg love the hat.. I got one too that just sits on my dash as I am afraid to dirty it up fishing.

Ernie that fish will haunt your dreams till a better one replaces it.

Thanks
Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Jul-06-18 5:43AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a batman bib in your size. They even have bibs with a basin to catch all those tears from missing that fish.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#5 Jul-06-18 2:13PM

Ernie
Administrator

I'm OK now...

I was also mad at the weather forecasters as today turned out to be nice in the morning, some light rain and cloud cover. We could have gone...except the rive rose a foot overnight.

Local fish are still confused. Hit Cedar for BG's on the fly today and got another nice LMB. I did get some BG's to eat but they were finicky. Normally, at this time of the year, they destroy my top water bugs. Only a few bites.

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Jul-07-18 5:55AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

That's called a heart break - hate when that happens

Good luck on the interview John

#7 Jul-07-18 7:34AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Really tough day fishing, but still had a great time just being out on the water.  I haven't been out much this year.  It was HOT!  It was nice being able to fish a while and then move to cool off.  Ernie kept replaying that big fish for about an hour or two after.  We would be fishing and all is quiet (you know Ernie is thinking hard if he isn't constantly talking), then suddenly Ernie would blurt out..." I can't believe I lost it!  I should have done x,y,z....".  He finally decided to show me where the spot lock is on his trolling motor remote so he wouldn't have to bother with it the next time.  Did I say it was HOT!

I finally got the drone out on the water to experiment with it.  It did really well.  I will post some unedited videos sometime this weekend.  Just need to figure out where I can upload them.  Photobucket won't take videos anymore.  Any suggestions?  I am still learning a lot about it.  Last week I almost lost it because I got too low to clear, smooth water and it lost track of it's height above ground/water (clear water is transparent and it starts to see the bottom instead of the surface of the water).  It started to go down and almost hit the water surface.  Luckily I got control and was able to get it back home.  High pucker factor!!

The hat was a Father's Day gift.  Love it?  Caps were incredible this year.

Board footer