Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-16-17 6:18AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Delaware 5/12-5/15

On Friday I left straight from work at 4:30pm and didn't arrive at Indian River Inlet until 10. Stupid rush hour traffic. Anyway, I fished a couple hours in the wind and rain. The end of the North Jetty was underwater so I went out about 1/3 of the way and threw plugs and swim shads. Nothing. Didn't look like anyone else was having any luck either.

Slept in the car a bit and then went to check out the pier in the early morning. It was still very wet and very windy and the water was a mess, so I didn't stay. I headed off to fish a different spot in the bay. Man it was rough out there, the water actually looked like the ocean surf. The rain was relentless too. Long story short, I soaked clams and bunker for about 4 hours and only landed a couple skates and a doggie.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/rough%20broadkill.jpg

That afternoon I hit the canal at the top of the outgoing to try for some flounder. I managed to land one at 21" and lost another. After the tide picked up the bite died and I didn't catch anything else. I was exhausted and still drying out so I didn't go back out in the nasty weather Saturday night, and got some sleep in a motel instead.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/flounder%205-17.jpg

Sunday morning I hit the surf again. It was still very windy but man it felt good to see the sun. I soaked clams and bunker again and also jigged with light tackle while I waited. Bait produced nothing but I hooked a couple chopper blues while jigging. I kept one for the smoker.

In the afternoon I fished a tidal creek for flounder. I C&R'd 5 or 6 big blues and a schoolie striper but never did find any flounder.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/marsh%20bluefish.jpg

Gave IRI a quick shot Sunday night on the South side but didn't catch anything. Man it was windy out there.

Monday morning I checked out the pier again but the wind was howling and the water was chocolate milk so I went back into the marsh again to fish for flounder. Same story as the last time...no flounder but several chopper blues. Soon the water clouded up and even the bluefish weren't biting anymore, so I packed it in and headed home.

tight lines

#2 May-16-17 6:23AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Delaware 5/12-5/15

I take it that it was windy out there!

Glad you got some pullage.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-16-17 6:54AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

I take it that it was windy out there!

Haha yes...a bit.

Of course now it's down to a gentle breeze. Sigh.

tight lines

#4 May-16-17 10:53AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow way to stick through it. Glad you caught and were able to take something home to show for it. I've always wanted to go to IRI, but haven't made it out there.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#5 May-16-17 4:38PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

That is some tough fishing.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 May-27-17 2:31PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Yikes! Good on you for sticking through it! I'll have to pick your brain sometime on surf fishing before a future beach trip.

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

Board footer