Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-10-17 3:21PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Los Angeles Calico Bass 5/9/2017

Went out Tuesday May 9th with Capt Ben Florentino (www.fishcoastalcharters.com) to a cloudy and windy cold Los Angeles coast morning. Wind temp was around 58 and water temp was around 60 degrees, but we were determined. Thankfully as the day progressed the weather got better and the sun decided to peak out.

Got the skunk off with a dink calico bass followed by some respectable sized ones.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/IMG953116_zpsb4inpzly.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/IMG953120_zpsqsk89tb5.jpg

Then had a sweet double. Interestingly, I felt a hit then followed by a lighter tap, so I popped it twice and felt a strong hit. It felt like a monster until we realized that two got hooked on the Crank bait. Capt Ben said they are notoriously competitive, but he hasn't seen a double like that in a while.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/IMG953125_zps4fjx3wul.jpg

These guys fight really well for their size and they will immediately try to go down into the rocks or dig themselves into the kelp "trees."

I lost what felt like a really big one that dug itself in the kelp. We maneuvered the boat around to get it out, but not before it spit the hook. We were using weedless plastics at this point. But thankfully I got another good sized fish (bit over two pounds) shortly after, that kind of made up for it... Kind of... You never really get over the one that got away! LOL

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/20170509_131435_zpsgpdi4yzp.jpg

It was an awesome day,  with awesome memories, and an awesome captain that started with this post: http://www.pacemakerfishing.com/forum/v … p?id=7749. The moral of the story is charter captains come in all shapes and sizes. If you are lucky enough to get in contact with a genuinely gracious one, he will likely know others and want to promote others like him. In my case our very own Capt Mike was the first charter captain I ever met and the first one who helped me experience saltwater fishing. I was lucky that he happened to be one of those gracious ones and although he didn't personally know the charter captains in L.A., it was his good karma that pointed me towards others like him big_smile

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#2 May-10-17 3:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Los Angeles Calico Bass 5/9/2017

Outstanding report....glad you got some fish while on travel!!

Thanks for posting!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-10-17 4:21PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Very cool, indeed!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 May-11-17 4:44AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Mustafa!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#5 May-11-17 5:30AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice!

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#6 May-11-17 6:13AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

They are pretty fish that only a few enlightened folks consider pretty. Someday I will get back to the left coast and fish for them. 

The combination of certain color patterns and display behaviors by adults may also convey information  on  their  sexual  identity and physiological  state.

Great report..

Thanks for sharing it.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#7 May-11-17 8:20AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice fish - great eating to if you get the chance

Glad to hear you got hooked up & enjoyed yourself.

The temps are cold for CA, but as a native from VA you should have felt right @ home

#8 May-11-17 12:15PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Great report! Always thought Calico fishing looked like a ton of fun.

tight lines

#9 May-11-17 6:21PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks everyone for the kinds words. Glad you enjoyed the report smile

@captmikestarrett, they are beautiful fish indeed. We caught some with some facial coloration which Capt Ben said means they were mating.

@hookup technically I should have been ok with the weather, but my psyche was expecting some stereo typical CA weather... So I was cold! LOL

@bryan yes they are a lot of fun! Did not expect them to be great fighters like that.

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

Board footer