Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-12-08 7:39AM

skvan

Flourocarbon line

Needed to buy some new line the other day (bought a new reel , Shimano Symetre 1500, really liked the feel of my 4000 but found it too heavy effecting the balance of the rod and dare I say it tiring after long periods of time ) and after talking to a guy at work he suggested I bought the Berkley Vanish flourocarbon line, ive never used anything else other than mono but hey I will take anything if I think it will help me.

Been using it a few days now and the damn stuff is annoying the hell out of me. Get it twisting soooo much and close upon itself that its taking some enjoyment away from the actual fishing as I have to stop and fix the loops on the reel every few casts.

Anyone else used this stuff and got some handy hints on how to avoid the twisting ? For all I know I am making a noob mistake with my drag or something really easy to sort out. Any help / advice as always will greatly recieved

Skvan

#2 Sep-12-08 7:49AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Flourocarbon line

I have a couple of recommendations for you.

1. Don't fully load your spool with the line. I strictly use Shimano Spinning Reels and you should only spool them about half way. Also, the 1500 is a small reel, so you need to consider the diameter of your line.

2. Fluorocarbon is a tougher line that doesn't stretch as much as mono (in my experience) and you need to work harder to get the stretch out of it...the best technique is by hooking into some lunker LMB!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#3 Sep-12-08 8:10AM

skvan

Thanks for those hints will have to try the lunker !
Yes the 1500 is small but its it makes the balance of the rod feel a lot better than the 4000 did and that has helped a lot with stopping my shoulder getting tight and sore (got a way iffy shoulder..dislocated it too many times playing sport and had to have an op on it in the end to stop it dropping out of its socket if the wind blew in the wrong direction) got it loaded with 6lb test, supposedly the reel will take 130yrds of that, but I dont like it when a spool is really full so put 100yrds on it. Maybe I should pull some more off it ?

Skvan

#4 Sep-12-08 10:33AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

When spooling the line on keep the line 1/8 to 1/4 of and inch from the end of the spool, so that it doesnt fall off the spool.  I have never used the Berkley fluorcarbon, I use the P-Line Fluoro and I love it.

#5 Sep-12-08 11:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

I mostly use braided line with flouro leaders (2-3 feet). Some of my reels have mono and I use flouro leaders on some of them. I have never used strictly flouro on the entire spool except for a hybrid from Yosuri (sp?) but that coiled up a bit.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Sep-29-08 5:46AM

skvan

Been using this stuff for a few weeks now. Have come to the conclusion that as long as there is a reasonable weight on the end of the of the line (even a small crankbait is enough) then there is next to no twisting. However cast with just a worm on the end and its a nightmare (although worm and small weight is fine). Lucky I have two spools so now got FC on one and mono on the other for just those occations that I want just a worm on the end.

Last edited by skvan (Sep-29-08 5:53AM)

Skvan

#7 Sep-29-08 6:28AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Leaders only for me. I tried it on a bait caster and never mastered it. I thought I had lost my touch, but switched back to mono in mid season and no more backlashes. Not sure if it's just too stiff or just wants to  be straight, but just starting a cast had it racing off the reel.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#8 Sep-29-08 10:36AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

flouro is generally stiffer than mono
which is probably causing the problem,  like you said, a little weight on the end will help.

also, never reel against the drag.   If a fish is pulling drag and you are reeling, you are causing lots of twist on your line.

i tried powerpro 5 or 6 years ago and haven't looked back.   the only time i use a leader is when i'm throwing a carolina rig

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#9 Oct-01-08 4:55AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I have a symetre 2500 and spool it with 8lb yozuri hybrid ultra soft and love it.

You might want to try some line conditioner like kevin van dam's line and lure. I use it on all my lines (hybrid lines, fluoro, and braid) and love it.  It's supposed to soften fluoro and remove line twist. Another idea when you're throwing worms would be to put on a leader with a swivel. I skip my worms a lot and doing this helps me get rid of a lot of line twist.

Last edited by AndrewDo124 (Oct-01-08 4:58AM)

#10 Oct-01-08 8:27PM

skvan

Thanks Andrew...will have to get myself some of that line conditioner and try the leader and swivel

Skvan

#11 Oct-02-08 4:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

I tried a hybid mix of flouro/mono and it was fine except when it got cold. I have never spooled a reel with just flouro....way to expensive. However, I do like using flouro and a leader (2-3') and regularly have one tied on for any type of fishing. The knot has to be good.

It's all a matter of preference and feel.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer