Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-24-08 5:24PM

Rob Allen

8-24-08 - Solomons Island MD - Report

Sorry Ernie - forgot the Camera - but here is the report -

Woke up 6:45am -arrghhh...(later start than usual -) in Reston - then woke my 13 year old up Bobby Rae and said time to go... We stopped at 7-11 for Coffee (me) and Lemonade and donuts for him - proceeded down the beltway without much traffic and made quick work of the 85 mile ride to Leason Cove Drive -

Grabbed the rods from the shed -cooler - ice from Freezer and lowered the boat into the drink - Gosh I love that Lift we put in last year!!

We were in the Harbor entering the river at about 9:15 -  Flat calm -all across the bay - a significant change from yesterday according to my scouting report -

We headed straight to CPR - Cedar Point Rips - No birds, no swirls, no moving tide - I said to my son - "Wanna catch some Flounder?" he said sure - so we headed East to 74 - my usual spot - I was secretly hoping to collide with Breakers on the way over - but the best I could find was an occasional pod of Menhaden - but nothing too exciting - again no moving tide which does not bode well for flat things - we set up two rods with three way swivel and a bucktail dressed Kahle hook - with no bait I attached Gulp strips - to the hook that simulated a squid strip -

with no tide, I just maneuvered the boat up and down the "ledge" from 40 feet up to 12 feet by the crab pots - Bobby Rae hooked up with a 14 inch flounder to shake the skunk off  - and we tinkered around over there for an hour getting about five more undersize flounder - one measured out at 8 inches!!! not kidding.

We then headed south to Hoopers Island Light house - His first trip down to that structure - again with flat seas - we were able to cover ground quickly - I can cruise at 32 kts comfortably in flat seas - We ran into another Grady down there - he had trailered down from Gaithersburg that morning - and they were hoping to get a moving tide to go after flounder as well - We threw SB bucktails and BKD jigs at the structure - had some snapper blues chase some of our lures but they were pretty small -

So now what??  It was absolutely beautiful on the bay today - so catching fish would actually just be a bonus -

So we head west into Cedar Point Hollow - this time of the year, we often find large schools of breakers that are by themselves since the hollow is a pretty big area -

When I reached 32 foot area, and made a right hand turn North and headed toward CPR - after about a mile, I spotted some birds working - but nothing too exciting - I suspected we may see something on the finder if we slowed it down - sure enough, the Furuno lit up - and Bobby Rae and I had our way with 1-3 lb Blues - they were hitting white bucktail mostly - Blues tend to dial in very closely to what the are feeding on - and this morning silversides were on the menu as they puked up some in my boat - nice! -

B Rae did score a 18 inch Rock in the mix - all in all we probably caught 20 blues a piece - and that was enough fun - we headed back to the harbor - filled the gas tank, and headed up the creek -

Quick clean up - and headed back to Reston - home by 4:00 - It was a great day shared on the water with my soon to be 14 year old - all the way home he was smiling and asking me fishing questions - he really wants to try trolling next Spring - might have to get back into that again too - it has been awhile -

Observations -

I think the bay is getting ready to explode right now - lots of bait out there - and they should really start to aggressively feed in the next 3-4 weeks

We will be down in Solomons next weekend hitting it again - My brother Chris will be with us and he always brings us luck!!

#2 Aug-24-08 6:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 8-24-08 - Solomons Island MD - Report

I want to go one time.....will pay for gas,wash the boat, bring drinks....whatever!!!!  cool

Sounds like a blast! What a difference a day makes....snotty yesterday:rolleyes:...calm today!

Great job out there and tell B-Rae that I am envious!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-25-08 9:35AM

Rob Allen

Re: 8-24-08 - Solomons Island MD - Report

Let's put it on the calendar - soon -

Board footer