Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-11-12 12:59PM

RapalaAndy
Northern Snakehead

Personal Best 201pound "Big Eye" Blue Fin Tuna

Landed this giant off Nags Head on Friday. NC State citation and the largest Blue Fin Tuna for the season. If you think this is a "fish story" check out the big board at the dock at Nags Head and my name is on it !

It took two hours to pull in and it tasted as good as it looks !

I took a shot from the chair as they pulled it in the boat

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7248/gg245.th.jpg

Great Boat and I was not the old guy fishing this time !

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5940/gg260.th.jpg

What a huge fish !

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9869/gg258.th.jpg

#2 Jun-11-12 1:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Personal Best 201pound "Big Eye" Blue Fin Tuna

Holy smokes......I don't even care if you Photoshoped it! tongue Just joshin' you there. Man that's a big fish!

When is the sashimi party!

Well done....that is a fish of a lifetime. When Capt. Mike sees it....well, who knows what will happen!

Major congrats on that one.......

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-11-12 1:40PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

whatever. I saw him swimming around in cedar.     

awesome fish.

how much did it weigh?

#4 Jun-11-12 2:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

bart2puck wrote:

whatever. I saw him swimming around in cedar.

lol   big_smile     lol

#5 Jun-11-12 3:35PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Wow!  Awesome fish.  After 2 hours of pulling that must have been an incredible feeling boating that thing!  I bet you had to have someone lift your beer to your mouth after all that.

I am with Ernie, when is the Sashimi party?

Congrats!

#6 Jun-11-12 4:28PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah, very nice fish.  They have been slamin the big eyes out of OI for the last several days........yesterday's  (Sunday's) big eyes:

182, 147, 133, 104, 176 and 168 lbs.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#7 Jun-12-12 4:49AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Awesome catch!

Aren't big eye and bluefin different species? I'd be sad if this was really a bluefin and not a big eye but i guess there was no way for you to control what you catch. :T Sorry, the girlfriend recently made me watch this documentary called "the end of the line" about the fishing industry.

your arms must've been on fire after that fight....

#8 Jun-12-12 10:52AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Holy smoly that is a nice Eye..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#9 Jun-12-12 1:41PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Awesome catch!

Aren't big eye and bluefin different species? I'd be sad if this was really a bluefin and not a big eye but i guess there was no way for you to control what you catch. :T Sorry, the girlfriend recently made me watch this documentary called "the end of the line" about the fishing industry.

your arms must've been on fire after that fight....

Yes they are different species. That one looks like a big eye to me based on length of pectoral fins, brightness of the finlets and, although hard to see, the lack of a defined notch at the center of the tail that bluefins have.

#10 Jun-12-12 3:05PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I need to get down to OI.  Many more big eyes caught yesterday, including a 223 pounder!

#11 Jun-13-12 11:34AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Holy smokes......I don't even care if you Photoshoped it! tongue Just joshin' you there. Man that's a big fish!

When is the sashimi party!

Well done....that is a fish of a lifetime. When Capt. Mike sees it....well, who knows what will happen!

Major congrats on that one.......

Where can I get the software for photoshop?
joe

#12 Jun-13-12 3:57PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

They are still wailing on the big eye's at IO today.............
http://www.oregon-inlet.com/journal/art … le_id=3054
http://www.oregon-inlet.com/journal/ima … 13-12r.jpg

I go down for cobia in mid-July on the Rock Solid! big_smile

Last edited by Curly (Jun-13-12 3:58PM)

#13 Jun-13-12 4:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

I go down for cobia in mid-July on the Rock Solid! big_smile

Aaron is a good Capt.

#14 Jun-14-12 11:03PM

Eweezy

This was a 201 lb Citation "big eyed" tuna that Mr. Rapala Andy caught on his trip to Nags Head last week, it definitely isn't an atlantic blue fin. I know fishermen that have been going down for the past 10 to 15 years and they fish one full or two full days a year around this same area and have never pulled one in the boat that big. Clearly from these reports there are currently some big fish being caught out of that area these past few weeks. I'm sure there are at least a hundred or more private charter boats all over Nags Head that go out of pirate cove or oregon inlet everyday. Out of all those boats your most likely going to get quite a few quality fish each day i'm sure.

Curly makes me want to call in sick Friday and hop in the car to go down and get a private charter so I can and hook into a 100-150 pounder and call it a day lol.  Then i'd come back to the dock, get that big boy all butchered up into some nice tuna steaks then head back home with a few coolers full of fresh tuna meat.  Now that would be cool but it's just not that easy, don't be to sold by those reports.

All those tuna he posted that people have been slammin on: 182, 147, 133, 104, 176 and 168 lbs. are still well below this 201 lb beast of a big eyed tuna!

Andy is simply sharing his nags head experience and on his first and only day down there he landed his first citation Tuna.  Who cares about all the other people paying for charters and what big eyes they have been slammin on this past week.  It isn't quite that easy considering he had 4 other guys fishing with him in the boat not to mention the capt and his first mate, and don't forget all the other 100 plus boats out in the water that day.

Good luck to anyone who drives down and back to the banks. If you are skilled and lucky enough to land a Big Eyed Tuna citation on your first trip down then huge congrats!  I can't wait to get down there very soon.

On another note I think Andy said during the whole day their boat caught only two mahi, two small yellow fin, one 30lb big eye and then the one large fella he decided to share with the forum!

To anyone on this forum who makes that trip please post some pics up of all the big eyed monsters you catch during your trip.  I don't want to read any stories about how you had a 200 plus pounder on and it got away when it was 10 feet from the boat tongue

It's about time to spice up this forum and start posting up some big summer hawgs!

Last edited by Eweezy (Jun-14-12 11:40PM)

#15 Jun-15-12 4:38AM

Ernie
Administrator

Catching and landing a citation "eye" is a big deal and E is right, many come back to the dock without the big one but hopefully with some other tasty fish.

As often as I have visited OI, I have never taken a ride in one of the big boats. i always fish the sound or inshore.  Big boat fishing is a long day (commitment) and takes all the quarters (investment) from my fishing money jar.

I am still looking for the sashimi party.....    cool

#16 Jun-15-12 4:54AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

About 18 years ago, I went out of Pirates Cove for tuna with a group from work.  Back then, it was around $550 to book an all-day trip (triple that today).  We booked 2 days, but were only able to fish one.......due to the weather.  No big eyes, but we caught a ton of big yellowfins (35-50 lbs).  We stopped fishing when the boat's fish box was packed full and would not hold another fish.  It was a blast and our arms were noodles when we got back in.  The fish cleaning bill was around $150, but we each had around 100 pounds of tuna "loins" to take home.  We had "fresh" shashimi that night at the beach house until we couldn't eat another bite. A trip I'll never forget.  We ate tuna at home for a long time tongue .

#17 Jun-15-12 5:28AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I have done the big boat offshore trip out Pirates and OI about 6 times at anywhere from 400 per person to 300 per person and never caught a fish. Helped catch a bunch of tuna , mahi , marlin and jacks but never sat in the chair.

Until last year in a small 24 foot boat just the two of us.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#18 Jun-15-12 6:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

Luckily, I have been in the chair to catch a few nice ones (bull dolphin, yellow fin tuna on the jig, wahoo) ......but those were company paid trips!  tongue

#19 Jun-15-12 9:43AM

Eweezy

With the right amount of guys and if you go just for a day all it takes is that one big fish to make the trip worth it.  If i'm not mistaken I believe Andy split the tuna in equal parts between all guys on the boat including the capt and the mate. 

He had about 3 basketball size chunks of grade A tuna that fed I dont know how many people for days. 

I did speak to another friend who went sometime in November and it took them about 5 hours to get out into the gulf stream and they only landed a few.  That to me would not be fun!

Board footer