Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-16-11 8:05AM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Sandy Point State Park

Hey I am planning on going to Sandy point this saturday on the kayaks or renting a boat and was thinking i would catch some spot and live line/jig for stripers around some of the pilings. any suggestions on were to catch the spot? like wat to look for on fishfinder, if there are birds, between pilings, etc. also are there any specific bottom characteristics that the stripers are relating to or are more plentiful at around the pilings? or just fish the pilings and i might come up with the right one?

Thanks for the help!

Tyler

#2 Aug-16-11 12:50PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Sandy Point State Park

I used to catch spot right in the marina. There were millions of em in there.

tight lines

#3 Aug-16-11 6:33PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

k thanks with just bloodworms?

#4 Aug-17-11 5:03AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Last year I used nightcrawlers and caught all the spot I could ever want in shallow water/hard bottom near the pilings. This year they have been more spread out and much larger. I haven't spent much time looking for them lately and instead I have stuck to jigging. Check out www.chesapeakelighttackle.com for tips for the bay bridge (in the articles). Usually the fish relate to the pilings and you need to make sure you keep contact with your jig at all times because a lot of hits come on the drop and they are subtle.

Bkd's, flukes, and bass assassins work well on .5 - 1.5 oz leadheads. I fish the area often from a kayak, in fact I'm heading there tonight!

#5 Aug-17-11 10:13AM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Ok thanks wen i am jigging the pilings should the jig have contact with the bottom or should i just gradually bring it up through the water column?

#6 Aug-17-11 10:19AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I start working the bottom on the upcurrent piling (I approach from the down current side). I work close in to the pilings and then all the way back bouncing the jig as soon as it hits the bottom (helps avoid snags) and then let it flutter back down. Some days an aggressive jerk is the tickets, other days a shorter more subtle bounce works better. If I don't have any hooks ups on several sets of pilings I'll start working different parts of the water column and areas outside of the pilings till I figure out the pattern.

Every day is different, but most of the time the bottom is where they are. Some days you'll get hit before you can hit bottom and others you really have to work for it. Good luck!

#7 Aug-17-11 3:17PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Ok thanks for all the tips and i hope to hear how your trip goes tonight and get all the "details" of what is working haha.

#8 Aug-17-11 8:57PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Haha details are usually pretty much the same! Jigged bkds, lost some, and occasionally I catch a fish or two. Tonight I fished the eastern side of the bridge. First set caught a few small fish, moved to the second set and caught a fat 31" rock. Decided to switch from my silver/blue flake 6" bkd to a 10" hogy that I had rigged on another rod. Next cast got another over 30! Worked some more and got one more over 30 from that set... then the snags set in and I forgot to bring my bag of spares. I was using the lures I had in my discard pile from the last trip and I ended up with 9 total on the night. I only got to fish for about an hour and a half though, so not too bad considering. I lost 8 jigheads, 6 bkds, 2 hogys, 2 snaps, and my fingers are cut from trying to sinch down knots for new leaders... need to get out more I guess.

Tide was ripping in with the wind and there was a west to east twist to it that caused all the snags. Good luck out there and I hope the fish are there waiting for you! Just follow what CLT (Kimbro) says and try make sure you keep contact with your jig at all times. Both fish on the 10" hogy felt like a bluegill peck.

Last edited by Redfish12 (Aug-17-11 8:58PM)

#9 Aug-17-11 9:25PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Ok well sounds like you had a good day on the water!! last time i went striper fishing we came up with no striper in 6 hours!! but did get 2 specs and lots of big white perch. Congrats on the 30 inchers by the way!! well i will  use all these tips on saturday and tell you how it goes. By the way how were the waves?

#10 Aug-17-11 9:50PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Sporting. Lots of mixed direction chop and some waves over the side. Definitely a leave your scuppers out day. Really wasn't rough, just one of those days where you're bobbing around a lot.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you guys knock them out!

Last edited by Redfish12 (Aug-17-11 10:00PM)

#11 Aug-18-11 11:51AM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Ok sounds good! If you go up there again this year me and my dad would love to tag along and fish with you! Thanks for all the info and we will report about it afterwards.

Tyler

#12 Aug-18-11 11:58AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Sure thing! Are you guys going to fish from a boat or kayaks? If you're kayak guys, you may be interested in the tournament I'm a part of - www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com. It is a non-for profit event and the proceeds go to the Make a Wish Foundation. We'll also be hosting a raffle with some great prizes that will benefit CCA MD. There are several categories so do not think you need to catch the biggest rock to be able to compete! Spot, Croaker, and White perch also carry prizes and spot and white perch have been pretty big this year in the area.

I try to get to the bridge once a week if I can. I'll be up there again tomorrow night if possible on my way to DE. Girlfriend has a bachelorette party so I have a weekend completely free to fish. I'm going to go Bryan style!

#13 Aug-18-11 1:25PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

^ I'm headed to DE too. Leaving on Saturday morning for an extended weekend. I need some flounder pullage.

tight lines

#14 Aug-18-11 1:27PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Bryan, know where you are fishing? 540-239-7517 if you want to come out with our group

#15 Aug-18-11 3:37PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Bryan and Redfish, I am TyF's Dad.  Thank you very much for the invite for the tournament and I think there was an invite to just go fishing with you this weekend or whenever.  We both fish from kayaks and were already planning Saturday morning to fish.  Is that when you were thinking?  I couldn't tell whether it was Friday night or Sat morning.  Let us know.  We would love to fish with you guys.  If it is for flounder, let us know what lures/bait/setup we need to bring.  Either way it will be our first time kayak fishing the Chesapeake.  Thanks I hope we can work something out!!!

#16 Aug-19-11 6:28AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Redfish12 wrote:

Bryan, know where you are fishing? 540-239-7517 if you want to come out with our group

I'm heading to Cape Henlopen early tomorrow morning to do some yak fishing. The next few days after that I'll mostly be fishing from shore at various spots in lower DE.

tight lines

Board footer