Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-26-11 9:18AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Delmarva Roadtrip 4/21-4/24

I left straight from work on Thursday at 4:30 and was on the water at Rudee Inlet in Virginia Beach by 9pm. I was the only one there and as it turned out I would have the place to myself all night.

I started in the back near the Navy docks and worked the shoreline with plastics and a mirrolure.  I fished the entire rocky shoreline and thie lights at the docks with nothing to show for it. Seemed like there was alot more grass there than the last time I visited.

Made my way to the islands and fished the points and western sides thoroughly with the same results. Things were starting slow.

So I high tailed it to Lake Wesley/Rich Man's cove out front to see what was going on. There was a sizeable striper popping under the first light at the cove entrance, but I got the mother of all wind knots on my first cast and drifted right under the light while untangling it, which scared away the big'un. Man I'm good. smile

I fished all the way to the back of the cove and there were schoolie stripers popping under most of the lights, but I stuck to the dark for the most part, looking for other fish.

After roughly 3 hours with no bites,  I went to catch some schoolies. Hit a couple of lights and tangled with a few in the 18-22" range.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/RudeeSchoolie.jpg

I worked my way back towards the launch and fished some more lights on the way. I was able to coax a couple topwater strikes but my only hookups came on the jig. I fished around the back one last time and there was no sign of trout, blues, flounder, or reds anywhere. Pulled out around 3am with not much to show for it. First time I've ever fished Rudee at night without bagging at least one Speck. Maybe next time.

I jumped in the truck and headed over the CBBT for the next round.

I made a quick stop at the Kiptopeke pier to see what was going on. I passed one guy that was leaving but other than that the place was empty. There were a ton of silversides under the lights, and a few shad eating them. I fished for about 20 minutes, and had some tiny seabass tugging on my jigs but that was it. The wind was picking up something fierce, and my eyes were getting heavy so I went back to the truck for some shuteye.

I think I slept for about an hour, and then was on my way up the shore. Did a little bit of sight seeing but no stops for fishing.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/MinnowStand.jpg

I've seen self-service produce stands before but never one for minnows. I thought that was cool.

Made a quick run through Wachapreague and there were several boats going out for flounder. I'm not sure they fish for much else in Wachapreague. Neat little town.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/WachapreagueMarina.jpg

From there I headed up the shore, through Ocean City, and on to Delaware.

I don't remember for sure, but I think my first stop was at the L/R canal for some flounder, and I caught nothing there. I had made my mind up to do a little surf fishing on Saturday, so I

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/LewesDrawbridgeOpening.jpg

went to pick up some bait. After finding out that the local tackle shops didn't sell herring, I figured I'd have to catch my own. I went to the spillway in Milton and fished for some herring with a sabiki rig. It was my first time there and I had a good time, even though I didn't catch much. I thought catching herring would be like shad fishing, where they bite anything you throw at them, but it was a little tougher. I left with 4 herring after about 90 minutes of fishing.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/WagamonsHerring.jpg

I'm sure I did some more fishing that afternoon, but I couldn't even tell you where. I was dog tired and needed sleep, so I booked a hotel and slept for a few hours.

I woke up at 9:30 pm and dragged, and I mean dragged myself out of bed. The wind was howling and it was raining...striper weather. I picked up some coffee and headed to Indian River Inlet, telling myself all the way there that fishing was more important than sleep. There were a couple of cars in the lot but I had most of the inlet to myself. I tossed swim shads off the points but never connected with anything. Water was fast and incoming, and the weather was downright crappy. I don't think I fished for more than an hour or so before packing it in.

Woke up around 7am Saturday morning and headed for Herring point. That spot seems to have the easiest walk-in access, and the small jetties always make me think there are fish nearby. It was windy as he11, and that combined with my meager surfcasting skills meant I was basically fishing the wash big_smile .  I soaked herring chunks for a couple of hours and never had a bite, so it was a typical surf fishing experience for me. This trip was not going well so far.

I stripped up some herring and went into Lewes to fish a couple of good early season flounder spots. While walking to the water at my first stop I found this. Surely this meant good luck.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/4LeafClover.jpg

Pffft...good luck my arse. I didn't catch squat at that spot, so I headed into the marsh.

I stuck a herring strip on a bucktail and threw it into a current break, and finally, got a bite. And missed. *&$!

Threw back to the same spot and hooked my first flounder of 2011. He was onlya throwback, but by rule, I gotta take a pic of the year's first flattie. He was even kind enough to spit up the herring strip he stole from my bucktail on the previous cast.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/CanaryCreekFlounder4-23-2011.jpg

5 or 6 more casts in that spot produced 3 more flounder, one of which was a 20" keeper. At least I had something for the cooler. I fished until the tide stopped, and headed to IRI for

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/CanaryCreekKeeper4-23-2011.jpg

a quick shot at some tog.

Well I spent the first couple hours of the incoming soaking green crabs and shrimp from the rocks, but never hooked up. I did see a couple of keepers landed but overall it looked pretty slow. The ridiculous wind made holding bottom and feeling for bites a difficult task.

I set my alarm for 2am so I could get up to fish the outgoing tide for another shot at IRI stripers. The weather was great that night (or morning, whatever), but for whatever reason I was the only person at the entire inlet. Maybe everyone else knew something I didn't.

I started on the North side, hitting all my favorite spots, and then over to the South side. It was kinda nice having the entire inlet to myself, even though I wasn't catching. I threw swim shads and bombers everywhere I could think, but had absolutely no luck on anything. No signs of life anywhere, which was hard to understand. I finished up with one last trip to the North side, but still found nothing at all.  I had really been looking forward to the pull of an inlet striper, haven't felt that in a while. Packed it in around sunrise and went to do some more flounder fishing in the marsh.

I went to Lewes and stayed there for most of the day. Threw bucktails tipped with herring and shiners, but it was slow. I caught 2 flatties and lost one before leaving for home at 5. No more keepers. I did catch a beautiful sunburn though, and my 2011 farmer tan is coming along nicely.

Not a very good trip fish-wise, but fun anyway. Sorry for dragging you though every waking moment of it lol

Last edited by Bryan (Apr-26-11 9:21AM)

tight lines

#2 Apr-26-11 10:22AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Re: Delmarva Roadtrip 4/21-4/24

That beat the he11 out of my weekend.

#3 Apr-26-11 10:39AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

That is some fishing like i used to do when I was half my age..

Sleep is overrated till you hit 35 rings on the old tree.

Impressive..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Apr-28-11 5:52AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

Sleep is overrated till you hit 35 rings on the old tree.

I'm not there yet, so I agree. Sleep only gets in the way of fishing! smile

tight lines

#5 Apr-28-11 5:56AM

Ernie
Administrator

I agree with Capt. Mike....IMPRESSIVE!

Thanks for the great report!

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Apr-28-11 11:22AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thats an intense fishing trip!!! Congrats on the early flattie, I can't wait to take a trip for them in May. Where do you normally fish around here?

#7 Apr-28-11 12:08PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Redfish12 wrote:

Thats an intense fishing trip!!! Congrats on the early flattie, I can't wait to take a trip for them in May. Where do you normally fish around here?

Pretty much wherever I can. The Potomac, Rappahannock, occasionally Shenandoah, and I think I've fished most of the well-known public lakes in northern VA. Probably my favorite type of fishing to do up here is wading for smallies.

Where you going for the flatties?

tight lines

#8 Apr-28-11 12:14PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I'm heading to Jamaica Bay Queens, NY to fish in the kayak tournament in 2 weeks. The first day of fluke season opens that Sunday so I'll probably try some when I'm up there. I think the weekend after that I'm going to head down to the HRBT or somewhere else in that area to try for them depending on the weather. I may hit CHSP or somewhere up in DE if it looks better up there that weekend. Memorial Day I'll be down in Topsail, NC fishing for specks, reds, and flounder.

Hopefully somewhere in there I'll get into a few! I try to fish the Bay and the middle Potomac as much as possible in the summer and fall if you're ever interested in heading out just let me know. We'll be doing Meet and Greet trips again soon so I'll try to post them on here when I know they're coming up.

#9 Apr-28-11 1:20PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Awesome report!

#10 Apr-29-11 5:16AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Redfish12 wrote:

I'm heading to Jamaica Bay Queens, NY to fish in the kayak tournament in 2 weeks. The first day of fluke season opens that Sunday so I'll probably try some when I'm up there. I think the weekend after that I'm going to head down to the HRBT or somewhere else in that area to try for them depending on the weather. I may hit CHSP or somewhere up in DE if it looks better up there that weekend. Memorial Day I'll be down in Topsail, NC fishing for specks, reds, and flounder.

Hopefully somewhere in there I'll get into a few! I try to fish the Bay and the middle Potomac as much as possible in the summer and fall if you're ever interested in heading out just let me know. We'll be doing Meet and Greet trips again soon so I'll try to post them on here when I know they're coming up.

Wow that's alot of traveling. I'll be interested to see how you do in that tournament. I know NY has some crazy flounder regs, but it seems like they have alot of big fish too.

I'm thinking about heading back to DE in a couple weeks, although I may have to take out a loan for gas money by then tongue

tight lines

#11 Apr-29-11 5:24AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bryan wrote:

I'm thinking about heading back to DE in a couple weeks, although I may have to take out a loan for gas money by then tongue

3% with 60 days to pay.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#12 Apr-29-11 5:31AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I'm hoping for a better year than last year! All I caught were blues, but they were the biggest blues I've ever caught which was fun. I know some spots now and I think I know more of what to troll, so that should help. I'm thinking of either PLO or CHSP the weekend after the tournament for flatties, I'll let you know. NY I think it has to be a min of 20" or maybe it's 21". That's a huge fluke but they get them much bigger. I plan on bucktailing some while I'm there and maybe go out Sunday morning and catch a few for the cooler before I head home.

#13 Apr-30-11 4:52AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Bryan wrote:

Probably my favorite type of fishing to do up here is wading for smallies.

One of my favorites as well! Learned about that when I lived in Richmond on the James River. I don't know a lot of spots here so have stuck pretty much with upriver at Riverbend. When the river is behaving I like using a kayak. Lots of spots to explore around there.

I'm also going to the Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing tournament. Grew up in Brooklyn and Staten Island so sort of my "home" waters. Caught my first saltwater fish in Jamaica Bay. Can't wait for this trip!

BTW, awesome report! That's some "combat" fishing! Used to run up and down the Jersey coast doing stuff like that during the fall. Not sure I could do that anymore. I am above 35 rings on the 'ol tree!

Last edited by jffoley (Apr-30-11 4:56AM)

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

Board footer