Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-07-11 1:56PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

pond. cold!

1 on a spinnerbait. 2 on a shakey head with a zoom lizard. slow day. the new vicious elite fluorocarbon is awesome! 19 $ for a small spool but its worht it

#2 Mar-08-11 8:17AM

Salmo

Re: pond. cold!

What makes the line so good?  Nothing is quite worth that much when I can pay $4 for simple stren or trilene that works just as well.  I might spend some money on leader material or braid but not on a filler spool of floro.

#3 Mar-08-11 8:23AM

Ernie
Administrator

Good point Jon.....many of the bass guys get very specific with their lines. I have certainly seen it with the smallies crowd.

Once in a while I buy a spool of good stuff (expesive) but I am not sure I fish enough to see a diference.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Mar-08-11 8:57AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Could it be follow the leader? The TV pros are sponsored and paid to tout a product  and the rest of us follow their example. Funny thing, you hardly ever see one of them using the hot lure they're pushing with one exception... KVD Good thing it was raining hard on Sunday, I'd have been at Bass Pro buying a bunch of Strike King square bill 1.5 crank baits in sexy shad. Then I'd be able to catch those elusive LM bass at 301 bridge.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#5 Mar-08-11 9:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Then I'd be able to catch those elusive LM bass at 301 bridge.

lol .....  roll

#6 Mar-08-11 12:30PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Well that simple stren or trilene is most likely monofilament which has stretch in it.  This is good for crankbaits.  The fluorocarbon has no stretch in it and is basically see through when in the water.  The fluorocarbon is great for almost every other application that you are not using braid for.  With the spawn coming up I will be using almost exclusively fluoro. 

Oh and fluoro is great as a leader for braid, but I have started to get away from doing that as much.

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Mar-08-11 12:50PM)

#7 Mar-08-11 12:32PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

And Dustin it's interesting you liked that Vicious.  When I tried it I did not like it because of the line twist.  Let me know if a couple weeks if you have line twist with it.  I use Seaguar invisx, but am tempted to try the seaguar red label.

#8 Mar-08-11 12:47PM

Ernie
Administrator

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Well that simple stren or trilene is most likely monofilament which has stretch in it.  This is good for crankbaits.  The fluorocarbon has no stretch in it and is basically see through when in the water.  The fluorocarbon is great for almost every other application that you are not using braid for.

Good info....thanks.... CNU is paying off!!!!

BTW, make sure you tell everyone next time teh CNU fishing team is on TV....it was cool to watch them this weekend. I expect to see you on TV sooner than later.

redskinsfan360 wrote:

With the spawn coming up I will be using almost exclusively braid.

Why?

#9 Mar-08-11 12:51PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Well that simple stren or trilene is most likely monofilament which has stretch in it.  This is good for crankbaits.  The fluorocarbon has no stretch in it and is basically see through when in the water.  The fluorocarbon is great for almost every other application that you are not using braid for.

Good info....thanks.... CNU is paying off!!!!

BTW, make sure you tell everyone next time teh CNU fishing team is on TV....it was cool to watch them this weekend. I expect to see you on TV sooner than later.

redskinsfan360 wrote:

With the spawn coming up I will be using almost exclusively braid.

Why?

I meant to write fluoro, but I was thinking about braid.  Whoops.

#10 Mar-08-11 1:16PM

greenRanger364v

Fluorocarbon definitely stretches.  Take some Fluorocarbon and try stretching it in your hand.  Fluorocarbon is denser than mono and braid so it sinks.  Some say this makes it more sensitive, and it does feel more sensitive than mono to me.  A spool of Fluorocarbon also lasts much longer than mono and doesn't go bad as quickly.

#11 Mar-08-11 2:17PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

i like it because its smooth casting mainly . it makes a huge difference to me. charlie- i use the vicious copolymer and iv never had problems. it goes bad after so long but usually last me a month or so. the vicious fluoro lasssttt forever. and its has no memory so far and it doesnt fray at all

#12 Mar-08-11 2:34PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

But the fluorocarbon has significantly less stretch than monofilament and the fluoro I use has almost none in it.

#13 Mar-08-11 3:00PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

it works better for me using crankbaits and spinnerbaits. as far as flippin unless its a heavy lb fluoro its no good.

#14 Mar-10-11 11:12AM

Salmo

I like the idea of no stretch or less stretch.  Increased sensitivity.  Most my reels are spooled with either power pro or fire line now but a couple have mono like P line or Pine Line floro clear.  It's relatively inexpensive, is floro carbon coated, not all floro and seems to perform very well for me.  Species that are line shy, walleye, trout, smallmouth maybe.  Largemouth??? not so much.  Stripers?  Not so much.  Maybe on Monomoy Island flats in Cape Cod or on the Potomac during a major drought but that means my leader drops down to 25 pound instead of 50 for stripers.  I've gone as light as 12 pound for stripers on a fly rod while on gin clear flats like Monomoy or the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. 

I also like Seagar floro for a filler spool but you're still talking $12 for a 300 yard spool.  Not $20 for 100 or whatever it is.  Plus if I'm buying floro for leader, I always buy filler spools if I can.  This way I get 200 yards instead of 25 for just a little more money.  That's a lot more leaders.

Board footer