Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-03-11 5:17AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Dickerson Power Plant

Has anyone fished the warm water area at dickerson before? Is it worth going? Is it kayakable during the winter?

#2 Jan-03-11 6:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Dickerson Power Plant

I have not fished it but I do understand it's doable in a yak.....I think T. just recently checked it out, maybe he will weigh in.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-03-11 12:54PM

Ernie
Administrator

Here are some posts from another board (fly):

1. I decided to squeeze some last minute use out of my MD fishing license and went up to the Dickerson power plant Friday morning.  I'd never been before so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

10 or so cars in the lot and 10 or so guys on the water, spread out from the parking lot area, up to the outflow.  The outflow was flowing (I don't know if it always does?) and was close to 50 degrees.  One guy there told me the water was lower than normal.  It was a little shallower than I expected, but again, I didn't know what to expect.  I ended up catching a few bluegill and one small LMB on an olive woolley bugger.  I didn't see anyone else do any better than that, but I'm sure someone did.

Saw one fly fisherman coming in as I was walking out around 11:30 am. Hope he found some fish.

2. I went the same day and fished the outflow from 2:30 to 4, or so.  Lots of company.  Met another fly-fisherman in the parking lot who arrived when I did and stayed later.  I was headed straight for the outflow without waders; he was wading.

Didn't have a thermometer, but the outflow was low and very very clear.  Like trout stream clear.  Very different from the first and only time I fished it late last February when it was higher, turbid, and murky.

Believe it or not, I came specifically to target redbreasts and that is what I found.  I sightfished small beadheads around bigger rocks and the redbreasts would dart out for the attack before rushing back under cover.  I found what I came for.

Didn't see any of the baitfishermen catch a thing, but they weren't chasing redbreasts.  In that same spot last February in very different conditions, folks caught crappie, blue cats, channel cats, carp, rock bass, smallmouth ... and redbreasts.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jan-03-11 1:16PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

After scouting it on Saturday I decided to check it out in the yak on Sunday morning.  The current was about 1-1.5mph, hard to tell because of a little wind.  The trip upstream wasn't bad.  The hot water wasn't flowing and the only fish I saw were schools of cats and carp on my way upstream and a few minnow-sized fish at the the outflow.  At the outflow it was only about 2ft deep.  The river averaged 3-4ft.  The deepest I found was 8ft and there were some stretches where it's 6-7ft.  That's where I was finding more schools of cats.   I couldn't get them to eat metal or plastic.   Most looked to be 14-16" but some others were more like 10lbs.

Word is you need to see steam coming from the stack to know whether they're generating electricity and producing hot water.  It must be the tall stack they're talking about.  Nothing was coming out of that one.  I can actually see the plant in the distance from a spot 1/2 mile down the road, so I'll be keeping an eye on it when I have the chance to fish.

#5 Jan-03-11 6:23PM

kanvery

I like fishing Dickerson and have had a lot of luck there. One thing that I've noticed is that the species you catch change depending on where you are on the trail (or in the park?). The river is warm almost 6mi down river on a cold 28 degree day with good flow I noticed the water was still 61 degrees in front of the parking lot. The one caveat is that water absolutely has to be discharging or the bite severely dies. I usually fish it with my fly rod or with an ultralight. I have two favorite spots, one is down the trail closest to the water. Just walk upstream and about a half mile up there is a distinctive dead tree that is very productive when the water is clear like it has been. You can see all large bass, carp, and sunfish milling around the debris in about 2-4ft of water. Most people go straight for the discharge and it is productive but I found that I usually catch largemouth and sunfish there. The fishing I prefer is down stream of the parking lot. There is a creek that flows into the river and a point of land just past the creek. The point juts out into the center of the river and is very wadeable and sometimes even dry around this time of year. Drifting just about anything in the current here is awesome. I usually catch smallies here and I've seen some walleye (caught a small one and tried to lip it, mistake) and pike caught as well. I've also had a popper get completely crushed by something huge. I am definitely going up there to fish it soon. I'm leaving for a fishing expedition to Nicaragua so it'll be this week sometime that I go up there. Also, for the bait guys, whether the water is flowing or not I've seen guys catch large cats with whole sunfish they catch near shore in the sunny areas. If anyone has free time this week I'll let you know when I'm headed out that way.

Also it is accessible by kayak and it's something I'd like to try.

A google maps link to the point I was talking about.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.193668 … 8&z=17

Last edited by kanvery (Jan-03-11 6:32PM)

#6 Jan-04-11 4:51AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

kanvery wrote:

If anyone has free time this week I'll let you know when I'm headed out that way.

Also it is accessible by kayak and it's something I'd like to try.

I'd go but after taking last week off I need to spend some time at the salt mine. Let us know how it is and what the kayak launch is like.

Board footer