Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-10-10 12:01AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Lake Manassas

Lake Manassas Controversy Continues....

Long a favorite fishing spot for many Northern Virginia residents, Lake Manassas was closed to the public 10 years ago. During this time, many efforts to reopen the lake for fishing have been denied by the Manassas City Council, citing the necessity of maintaining the integrity of the water supply and the expense of facilities for opening the lake to the public.

In the past year both of these arguments have been negated by a number of events. The developer of the Saranac community on Lake Manassas wants to donate land for a public access point. The Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries has committed $100,000 to build a boat ramp, parking lot and finger pier. They would also contribute an operations stipend to offset costs for a concession stand, as well as monitor the lake and manage any concessionaire.

These proffers have not swayed the council however, who question whether city residents should incur expenses that would benefit only non-residents. What the council members have not addressed is that fact that over 6,000 residents of their city have purchased fishing licenses during the past 12 months, as well as over 16,000 residents of Prince William County. It is also safe to say that anglers using the lake would bring in dollars to the community that are not currently available. Motels, restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores and tackle shops would see a great increase in business, which benefits the residents of Manassas.

The property deed for the Saranac community allows access to the lake, but the city council has consistently denied such access. The developer would prefer to work in partnership with the council to get the lake open, but after being stonewalled at every turn, has filed a lawsuit to gain their legal rights. This means that the City of Manassas will have to spend considerably more money to defend the lawsuit than it would cost to accept the offers and open the lake to the public. Any expense to the city could be retrieved by charging a fee to boaters and anglers for use of the lake.

All of these points will be discussed once again at the council meeting to be held on Monday evening, September 13th at 7:00 p.m. The meeting will be held at Manassas City Hall, 9027 Center Street, Manassas, Va. All interested parties should make plans to attend this important meeting and make your views known.

Charlie NHBA.........

#2 Sep-10-10 4:34AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Lake Manassas

Thanks for the update Charlie.....I will be away on the 13th. I hope some of the guys can make the meeting.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Nov-17-10 10:57AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Any updates?

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Nov-17-10 5:45PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

We have been attending City Council meetings each month and speaking in
favor of opening the lake to the public. The Mayor has been steadfast in his
opposition to this and the council has been very reluctant to oppose him.

As a result, the developer who proffered the land for the ramp and parking
area has filed suit against the city. This suit seeks to enforce their right
of deed to access to the lake. The city seems sure to lose the suit, but
once again, the mayor steadfastly refuses to settle with the developer.

The suit is scheduled to come up in court in the Spring of 2011. If the city
loses, access will be assured. If the city wins, it will be a long drawn out
fight. The developer vows to take it all the way to the Supreme Court.

Unfortunately, in today's society, we no longer have an effective way to
communicate with the general public. Most of them do not read newspapers any
more and TV coverage is impossible to obtain. This inconsequential situation
does not generate sympathy or rage and without these, TV stations are not
interested.

Updates are posted at:  http://www.pwconserve.org

Thanks for your interest.

Charlie NHBA.........

#5 Nov-18-10 5:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks for the update Charlie...let's hope for a good outcome.

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Nov-18-10 6:49AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

really, how much does it cost to build and maintain a kayak/canoe launch? Isn't this one of the things that my fishing/hunting license go towards, esp on a public lake? And some of these launch fees are getting pretty bad. NVRPA and their $4.00 for me to set a kayak in the water is pretty bad. ehh just my gripe for the day.

#7 Nov-18-10 7:08AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Novahunter:

Your fishing/hunting license revenue does not support NVRPA or any other government or private organization ramp.  Just because the ramp is on a public body of water does not make it a VDGIF ramp.  All VDGIF ramps are designated and plainly marked as such. They all have brown signs directing anglers and boaters to them.

Instead, it's the tax dollars of the various jurisdictions that make up the NVRPA that build and maintain their parks.  As for Leesylvania, this is a state park and it is Virginia state tax dollars that build and maintain the state parks.

I may be wrong but I don't believe that I have ever seen a VDGIF ramp (Constructed and maintained with Fishing License revenue) that had a charge for launching a boat or parking vehicle and trailer.

Charlie NHBA.........

#8 Nov-18-10 8:21AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Hey Charlie, sorry about the rant. I know those are two separate items. Its more that NVRPA has gotten pretty pricey for a kayak/canoe launch these days. 

I think I am still just grumpy from the Redskins on monday night and my thoughts are not quite linear yet.

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Nov-18-10 8:22AM)

Board footer