Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-09-10 10:10AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

New Guy

Greetings all! My name is John Foley of Fairfax, VA. I was introduced to this site by Bob (Osprey). Looks like a good bunch here. And local to me as well. Thanks Bob!

Originally from NYC. Have lived in San Francisco and Richmond, VA. Got started fishing as a kid by an uncle in the lakes and streams near Scranton, PA. Most of my fishing now is in the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River. Striped bass have long been a favorite. When I lived in Richmond I discovered James River smallmouth. Since moving to Fairfax I've discovered Potomac River LM bass. And smallmouth and shad and stripers and big cats and snakeheads! Also into kayak fishing this year. My wife and I tried it while on vacation in Costa Rica last winter. I'm hooked!

I'll offer a small contribution here being a new guy on the forum. If you haven't already seen this it is very, very effective. It's for fluke (flounder) fishing. We're just back from a family trip and had a chance to fish our home waters off NY / NJ. I was stoked to try this technique by JSkinner of LI NY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oKzzpM0-qw

When I lived up that way I often used a bucktail as the weight on a 3-way with a traditional killie/squid sandwich. Why not? It often caught the biggest fluke or something else (bluefish, weakfish). Well, I can certainly vouch for Mr. Skinner's technique! (sorry, no pics. Left the camera on the counter.) Our hosts used the killie/squid combo as usual. Each caught a couple shorts. (18' in NJ) I used the Skinner method exclusively and outfished everyone (even those I observed on the head boats nearby). In 2 hours I caught 10 fish. 3 were keepers up to 22" !!

Hope to meet up with some in the group soon.
Tight lines!
John

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#2 Jul-09-10 10:40AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: New Guy

Welcome John, I've seen your hair and you're not that new....oh wait, you meant to this site... sorry.  The Ashburn Village fishing posts will drive you nuts, but aside from those you'll find lots of opportunities to meet up and fish. Just watch the last category to find out what's in the works. These guys are the reason I bought a yak so I guess I also met you because of this site. Great bunch of old and new fishermen here, I'm sure you'll enjoy the site.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Jul-09-10 10:49AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Welcome to the Forum John!

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Jul-09-10 10:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Welcome John...I think that Paul Naj fishes some of that NJ water you are talking about.

There is some good smallie fishing near here as well.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jul-09-10 3:01PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Thanks guys. Looking forward to some outings and learning more.

Bob, LOL ! You're right. Not so new to the planet but fairly new to the area. While I've lived here a few years the first 5 I traveled quite a bit on business. It's only the past 3 or 4 years I've been able to really explore around here. I've learned a lot from Capt Mike who I spotted on this site as well! Hi Mike!

Curly, Ernie, I'm with you... hell or high water, time to go, I'm fishin too! Just ask my wife. During our trip we also visited my mom who lives on a small lake a little north of Port Jervis, NY. Guess where I was every sunrise and sunset the few days we were there? Yep, in a paddle boat flippin gulps to all the LM, crappie, yellow perch and bluegill you could want! Had a buddy with me some of that time... a 10 year old nephew. I'm hoping I can do for him what my uncle did for me!

Tight lines!
John

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#6 Jul-12-10 4:09AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Howdy John..

John loves catfish BTW.. The 2010 Fishing in MD mag has a pic of him with a nice big blue cat. That same pic found it's way to the Balitimore Sun and a few websites as well.

So we are in the presence of a celebrity....

I am honored..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#7 Jul-12-10 5:25AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Welcome to the party John!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#8 Jul-13-10 5:57AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Capt Mike,

LOL! I'm no celebrity. It's the captain that get's the ah, notoriety. But we did find a few big cats that day last fall. Look forward to doing it again. I never did find that magazine...

Thanks for all the welcomes. I saw some chatter about kayak fishing. I'm new to that this year. A few seasons ago I would wade fish upriver at Riverbend Park in Fairfax. I have wanted to try it in a kayak and get to some deeper areas. If anyone is up for that let me know. I also saw mention of Algonkian. That's some place I've also wanted to try. If anyone is going and wouldn't mind a tag along please let me know.

Thanks, John

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#9 Jul-25-10 6:19PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

John:
You mentioned Potomac River Largemouth Bass.  You might be interested in checking out:
www.nhbayouthfoundation.org  Fun, youth and education oriented local fishing club.

Charlie NHBA.....

Charlie NHBA.........

Board footer