Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-28-10 9:27PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Fletchers Boat House

I have seen reports from boats at Fletchers, but last year I went and threw shad darts from the bank and caught tons of shad.  For how many more weekends is this possible?

#2 Apr-28-10 11:25PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: Fletchers Boat House

Hickories should be around for another two weeks or so, while American shad will be here for another month. In the meantime, you can also have fun with herring, stripers, catfish, bass and the occasional walleye, musky or pickerel. Fletchers is one of those places where you never know what you are going to catch when you throw a bait in the water. I have caught everything from 3/4# herring to 44# carp and just about everything in between. And the beauty of this is that I always use ultra light rods with 4# line. You can believe that an 8# American Shad, a 20# striper or a 15# catfish are a real hoot on this tackle.

Charlie.........

Charlie NHBA.........

#3 Apr-29-10 4:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

Charlie is SO right!

As well, there are snakeheads in the shallows.

Lots of guys from TPFR fish it every day. Check them out: http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-po … ly-rodders

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 May-04-10 12:31PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

I am planning on going on May 15.  Does a VA license work here or do I need a D.C. license? 

I know you throw the double shad darts for the Shad, but how do you catch herring from shore?

#5 May-04-10 12:45PM

Ernie
Administrator

You need a DC license!

For herring, throw a sebiki. if you don't have any, stop on by for one (or 2) and a quick lesson.

#6 May-04-10 2:19PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Are the hickories still being caught? I've been hearing that they are getting fewer and farther between.

#7 May-04-10 2:25PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

I heard quite a bit about Fletcher's but have never been there myself. What is it about that place that makes it so good?

#8 May-04-10 2:51PM

Ernie
Administrator

purpleworm wrote:

What is it about that place that makes it so good?

The April/May run of stripers, cats (blue and channel), herring, shad (American & Hickory), white perch. Plus, there are smalies, LMB, Musky, snakeheads and I am sure I have missed out on a few others.

People come from all over the place to fish for shad!

#9 May-06-10 9:52PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

To properly answer your question, anadromous fish come into freshwater rivers to spawn. Stripers, herring, Hickory and American shad, white perch, etc. have to go to the most distant point upstream to spawn. Stripers, in particular, have to spawn in enough current to allow their eggs to float for 96 hours. If they sink, the eggs die. Thus, they head as far upstream as possible. Little Falls stops their ascent on the Potomac river and they then tend to hang around the current seams where the water emerges from the 50-55 foot depths to the 15-20 foot flats around Fletcher's.

Hopefully, this answers your question.

Charlie NHBA.........

Board footer