Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-03-09 6:09PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

My home pond, first time in over 10 ten years

This evening I went over to the pond in the neighborhood where I grew up.  It's changed a lot.  It used be a bare, muddy run off pond, now it's fairly clear but jammed with milfoil and some hydrilla.  At least 50% of it was covered with duck weed.  mad  The ends where it's deep were coated so I went to the middle where I could see some clear areas.  Within seconds of my bobber hitting the water they were biting my nightcrawlers.  I pulled in a few small sunfish, then a small bass (about 10"), then some even smaller bass and a bunch more sunfish.  I tried a few lures but that was pointless with all the weeds.  As it was getting dark I saw something jumping around in the middle of the pond a little ways down the shore.  So I placed my bait right smack in the middle of a weed-free channel of sorts.  No bites, so I went back to my gear and started packing up while keeping an eye on the bobber.  Before I could get packed the bobber went missing so I rant back to find the rod starting to flex.  I pulled in a channel cat about 15" long.  Those didn't used to be in there.  It used to be mostly yellow bullheads. 

As I was leaving I stopped to talk to another guy fishing for cats. He pulled in a brown bullhead and then a small channel cat.  He said there's an over abundance of the bullheads, 'mudcats' as he called them.  He also said he's caught some 4lb bass here.

Tomorrow morning I'll be going to a favorite spot on the Potomac.  If it sucks I'm going back to the pond.

What's it take to get DGIF to come out and check the fish population?

#2 Oct-03-09 6:16PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: My home pond, first time in over 10 ten years

T. wrote:

What's it take to get DGIF to come out and check the fish population?

A lot!

I know John Odenkirk pretty well and having so many ponds was definitely a bonus. If this pond is fairly public, call him and tell him about it. You just never know!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer