Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-27-06 5:11PM

Ernie
Administrator

Wicomico/Potomac Rivers report, May 26 & 27, 2006

Knowing that Memorial Day weekend is still a bit too early for the bigger white perch to be in the shallows, Bev Carroll and I decided we needed a “Wicomico fix" so we headed down there anyway on Friday afternoon and into Saturday.

On Friday, we put in at Shamansky’s Marina at 1:45 PM. After a short run, we started fishing the mouth of the Wicomico (where it meets the Potomac) at the rocks by the light. We got no takers and the wind started to blow us around a little so we moved inside the “W” and fished around St. Catherine’s Island. Bev got the skunk off with two white perch but that was it so I headed to my “secret spot” on the Wicomico.

There is a pond that floods at high tide and has a little creek that runs out of it. You can’t see it from the water unless you know it’s there. When the tide runs out (and so do the little baitfish), it can be very productive. We were only there for 45 minutes and we caught 3 white perch and 12 schoolie stripers, all on light tackle (5’ sticks and 4 lb line).

We were content on staying there until it got dark around 8:30 but it stated to get dark around 5 PM. A massive storm was coming in and the firefighter said, “that’s it, we got to go”. So we took off for the marina at full speed with the storm behind us (check out the picture in the PHOTO) section.

Halfway there, and in the middle of the river….the engine shuts down.  I thought for a few seconds and decided to squeeze the gas bulb. In a few minutes, we were hauling it back but we got hit with the hard rain about 100 yards short of our target. Luckily, there was a slip that was available next to Bodeen’s (Jeff Hammett) boat and we tied up and relaxed under the roof of Jeff’s boat.

After a restful sleep at the LaPlata Sleep Inn, we put in early and headed up to Swan P. For hose of you who have fished swan Pt. with me, we ALWAYS catch fish (either white perch or stripers and most of the time, both.

We made several drifts and NADA, ZERO, EL ZIPPO!!  Now what? Apparently, the summer hot spot ain’t so hot in May (water temps were below 70). We headed down to Kingcopsico VA which was a 15 mile run. I had a good report that some stripers were biting. We had a smooth ride down there and as we started fishing, the winds came and messed us up again! Luckily, Bev caught 2 white perch and took the skunk off again.

So back up river we go to the secret spot. Only problem was that the tide was almost finished coming in…the wrong way! So…to lunch at Quade's we go! After our normal great lunch served by Mrs. Quade (white lima bean soup, cheeseburger and a homemade crab cake), we tried some croaker fishing but got bored after 30 minutes. Back down to the secret area and we proceeded (we’ll Bev did) to bang out 25 more white perch and 1 striper (Bev’s total was 21, you do the math)

Even though it was still too early for what we wanted to do, we had a great time!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer