Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-14-09 12:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Action needed on poultry poop polution!!

We Can End Excess Poultry Waste!
by Jeff Kelble, Shenandoah Riverkeeper

Did you know that 80% of all poultry waste created by growers in Virginia is sold or given to neighboring farms which are not subject to regulation? This is the biggest environmental loophole in the Commonwealth and we're trying to close it, but we need your help! A proposed regulation will require all significant poultry waste end users and poultry brokers to test soil and prevent the accumulation of phosphorous. It will also end the practice of storing litter in huge piles out in the rain and applying litter right down to the stream banks.

These are important and necessary changes that are long-overdue, but unless we hear from you they are never going to become law. The proposed regulation will be open for public comments beginning on June 8th. We all know lobbyists for the factory farms will be out in droves representing their interests, which is why we need your help to represent the interests of everyone who enjoys the river, receives drinking water from the river, and wants to protect this natural resource for future generations.

Want to submit comments? You can send them to me and I will make them part of the official record.

Email me at jeff@shenandoahriverkeeper.org and be sure to include:

1. Your name
2. Your full address and telephone number
3. How you are connected to rivers affected by poultry in Virginia (you fish them)
4. What you think about the pending regulation (phosphorous is the #1 algae feeder!)

Pass this along to everyone you know who fishes. This is the #1 issue among anglers in Virginia--and may be our biggest chance to improve water quality this year. We need as many comments as we can get! As soon as the proposed regulations are posted, we will get them to you!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer