Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-10-09 5:52PM

Ernie
Administrator

4-10-09, Potomac River Report

While Curly and Jeff were fishing up at Fletcher's, Jamie and I hit the river down at Gunston Cove.

This was my 2nd time fishing this area. The 1s time, we went after white perch. This time we were after stripers....on a fly! We actually started by using conventional tackle to try to find them. That didn't work so we trolled for a while. That didn't work so we used fly rods. That didn't work so I moved us up river. That didn't work so we went back downriver towards the Greenway Flats. Maybe this would work since there were a few boats fishing the edges in 6-8 feet of water. I was heartened by the fact that we saw two guys catch stripers on rattletraps.

Jamie quickly switched over to a rattletrap and within a few minutes, I looked over and he was hooked up!!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2529.jpg

He looked over and said, "get the net!". I did and he took the skunk off the boat with this striper!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2530.jpg

A few minutes later, I got a nice hit and started to fight a decent fish but he got off....very frustrating. The bite shut down after that and we moved to a few different areas of the flats but could not score. We saw a friend of ours, Harry Shivonne, out there fly fishing but  he didn't get any on that method. He and his partner did catch a half a dozen stripers for the day.

While we worked the flats some more, I got a bump and I promptly set the hook! This nice large mouth came aboard!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2533.jpg

I was throwing one of George Lenard's Jig & Fluke

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2532-1-1.jpg

Now we each had a fish.....slow day for sure. Lots off lessons learned for my next trip down there. Even though we had a slow day, we had a good time out on the water!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Apr-11-09 6:27AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 4-10-09, Potomac River Report

I wish the weather would have cooperated today...good thing we didn't make the call at 5 AM....it was not raining and it was calm then!

Anyway, I marked tons of smaller fish (not bait balls) in the channel off Marshall Hall. I was not rigged up to catch perch, shad or herring. There were lots of comerants too so the area was loaded with bait.

#3 Apr-11-09 1:21PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Over at the north end of the Wall just up from the Officers club is a PRFC marker and a long slow point that goes north kinda. Yesterday at dawn a blitz occurred and the stripers where up to 35 inches. All caught on rattletrap.. 6 boated.

Second hand report from a reliable source.

Should have gone there this morning..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Apr-11-09 2:08PM

Ernie
Administrator

Capt. Mike...as always, thanks for the info. Being new to that area (where have I been????), I need to decipher the code. Is the officer's  club on the VA (Belvoir) or MD (Indian Head Navy)?

I am coming back Friday and Saturday should the weather hold out.

#5 Apr-11-09 3:08PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Va Ft Belvoir

38.687654, -77.121577

Google map it..you will see the point

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Apr-11-09 3:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

Could you be a bit more specific?  wink

Thanks...I will report next week's results!

Board footer