Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-22-09 5:42PM

Ernie
Administrator

Fly Fishing 101

FLY LINE

Just like real flies, fishing flies are essentially weightless, which means you'll need the weight of a fly line to carry them to your intended target. Fly lines come in a range of weights from 000 to 15. Your choice of line weight should be based primarily on the weight of the rod you are using.

Fly fishing lines come in floating and sinking styles:

Floating lines are more versatile and allow you to use a dry fly, which stays on top of the water.

Sinking lines and sink tips are for fishing underwater from just below the surface to dredging the bottom of deep water.

There are two basic shapes, or tapers, for fly lines: double taper and weight-forward.

Double taper (DT) lines work well in more delicate and close-up presentations like small to medium-sized rivers. DT lines are characterized by a heavier mid-section (appropriately named the "belly") that tapers back to smaller diameters at each end. They are reversible.

Weight-forward (WF) taper lines are better for longer casts with heavy flies. They start with a belly of the line in the first half, then taper to a thin, low friction running line. The heavier portion of the line literally carries the thinner, running line to the end of a shooting cast.

FLY LINE TIPS

* As a general rule, most recreational fly fishers will use a mid-range, weight forward line weight (between 5 and 8) because those weights provide great versatility.

* A clean fly line in good condition is essential to good line handling and performance. Use a line cleaner to remove the dirt and water film from your line.

* Use colored line to follow the progress of your cast.

LEADERS

Fish are pretty savvy, actually. If they can see your fly line, they're instantly wary of the fly you're trying to present to them as food. That's why you need a leader-that "invisible" connection between your fly line and your fly designed to fool fish into thinking your feathered fly is the real deal. The leader attaches to your fly line at the "butt" end, then tapers down to the end where your fly is attached, allowing the fly to be presented to the fish in the most natural manner (and keeping the colored fly line at a distance and out of sight).

Leaders come in different lengths for different fishing scenarios.

**Leader length: A good rule when choosing leader length is to use a leader about the length of your rod. You can use a shorter leader when it's windy, when you're in a narrow stream, or when you're casting shorter. The longer the leader, the less likely a fish will notice your line. However, longer leaders are harder to cast and manage.

TIPPETS

What exactly is a tippet you ask? The tippet is the most delicate part of the leader that attaches to the fly. The midsection of the leader tapers down to the tippet. Some leaders are pre-tapered and come in only one section while others use two or more sections, knotted together, to narrow down to the tippet.

Tippets come in many sizes and lengths to match fishing conditions, flies, and the fishing equipment itself.

FLIES

With the hardware out of the way, it's time to get down to the fun stuff: the bait! It's not called `worm fishing' so you don't have to worry about digging up night crawlers. But you do need to stock up on a variety of flies. The well-prepared angler carries a wide array of flies that match the conditions he intends to fish. in different styles and sizes that can be used at all water levels, from the bottom of the stream to the surface.

Gear Tip: Fish feed mostly on aquatic insects and smaller fish. A well-stocked fly box will give you the variety you need match your fly with what fish are eating.

Fly selection is often the most difficult decision an angler has to make. Flies are designed to attract (by arousing the fish's curiosity) or imitate (masquerading as the insects on which fish like to feed). Sierra Trading Post carries the following categories of flies:

Nymph flies and wet flies: Excellent for trout fishing, nymph flies are wet flies created to resemble insects in their underwater nymph stage. Trout consume underwater nymphs as 90% of their food.

Streamer flies: Streamer flies mimic injured baitfish or crustaceans, swimming erratically under water.

Saltwater flies: These flies are tied on stainless steel or tinned hooks to prevent corrosion and hold their ground with large fish.

Dry flies: These tricky flies look like insects that have just touched down on the water or are emerging from a nymphal stage to an adult stage. Many terrestrial insects are also fished as dry flies on the surface. Many fish find dry flies impossible to resist.

RODS

First things first - you need a rod. Most fly rods today are made from ultralight materials like graphite, boron, or a combination of the two. These materials create a strong, lightweight tool for casting a fly line directly to your target.

There are fly rods sized to handle virtually any kind of fish you're after, from small river trout to ocean marlin. Fly fishing rods are manufactured and sold by length, the type of "action" (degree of tip bend), intended use, and line weight. They typically range from 7 to 10 feet in length, but 8 ½ to 9 feet are by far the most popular. Some specialty rods, like those for two handed spey casting, will fall in the 12 to 15 foot range.

Generally speaking, a shorter rod is used in tight spaces so the line won't get hung up in shore brush when a cast is made. Longer rods are ideal for long, accurate casting where there is an unobstructed casting area such as a saltwater beach or wide river. Longer rods keep the line higher above the water when casting from a belly boat.

Rod action is explained by the amount of "bend" in the rod tip. Fast action rods use more of the tip to propel the line and, if cast correctly, do the work for you so you don't tire as quickly. However, fast action rods tend to be less delicate in delivering small dry flies to a timid target. Slow action rods have the highest percentage of tip bend and are intended for slower casts and more delicate presentations.

Overwhelmed? If you're a beginner and want to fish freshwater, choose a standard nine-foot, five weight rod.

ROD TIPS

* A versatile choice for a beginner freshwater fly rod is the popular 9 foot, 5W+ rod.

* The rod weight determines what flies and tippets can be used. Lightweight rods need to be matched to light flies, tippets and line and are ideal for landing smaller freshwater fish. Heavier weights can be used for saltwater fishing, windy conditions, heavy flies and larger fish. The chart below is a great reference.

REELS

What good's a rod without a reel? Fly reels were originally designed to perform two basic functions: To provide a place to store your fly line and to supply resistance (or "drag") against the pull of a fish so that it could be landed efficiently. New lightweight materials and innovations are adding smoothness, convenience, and aesthetics to what was once just glorified storage for your line. Most of today's reels are made from lightweight aluminum that is machined from a solid block for maximum strength and durability.

Reel Tips

* For the beginner, a reel with cork disc drag and aluminum body is ideal.

* A reel with a large arbor will achieve the same amount of line retrieval with fewer rotations than a reel with a smaller arbor.

* Some reels allow for instant spool changes, so you can quickly change from floating line to sinking line.

* Disk drag systems provide greater stopping power than the more common and lighter spring and pawl designs.

* If fishing in saltwater, choose a reel made of corrosion-resistant materials (and always rinse and/or soak your reel and rod with fresh water after each use).

* Generally, short rods balance better with lighter weight reels; longer rods with heavier ones.

Source - Sierra Trading Post

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Mar-23-09 7:21AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Fly Fishing 101

Very detailed, very helpful.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#3 Mar-23-09 9:24AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Did you write this?

#4 Mar-23-09 10:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Did you write this?

No way....got this from Sierra Trading Post...I just forgot to mention that.

#5 Mar-23-09 10:30AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I've always been interested in fly fishing but have never gotten around to trying it. My girlfriend bought me a st. croix fly rod for an anniversary a few years ago but she forget a reel, so I exchanged it for a st. croix medium light spinning rod..

What's most "budget friendly" combo I can get away with? =P

#6 Mar-23-09 1:23PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Sheesh!!!  roll

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#7 Mar-23-09 1:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

AndrewDo124 wrote:

What's most "budget friendly" combo I can get away with? =P

Hard to answer this question.....you will drive yourself crazy coming over to the fly side! As much as I enjoy it, I don't do it as much as I should and I have some major dollars invested in equipment....that sits and sits!

I would suggest a 6 or 7 wt but if you want to fish for bass, then go to an 8 wt so you can throw the big bugs.

#8 Mar-24-09 8:53AM

bigfoot

they have packages at dicks but they are not very good i think its like $30 but im not 100 % 

Fly fishing is tons of fun tho

working is for those who don't fish

#9 Mar-24-09 10:03PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Andrew, I picked up a St Croix Reign on discount from cabelas but I don't know if they still have any left. I know it's not exactly an Orvis setup but it seems alright for me...not that I would really know....I know you like to spend a lot of money though, so you might want to check out Orvis options

#10 Mar-24-09 10:05PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

btw, thanks Ernie, some very useful information there.

When does 201 start? smile

#11 Mar-25-09 8:06AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

201 will likely come with a cost! ha

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#12 Mar-25-09 8:44AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

www.flyanglersonline.com

lots of stuff in the archives. along the left side that includes bugs, fly tying, casting, etc and so on

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#13 Mar-26-09 6:02AM

fishin4food
Northern Snakehead
Website

Does anybody know of a good beginner fly rod and reel that's inexpensive???
Thanks.

john.hill.t94@gmail.com

#14 Mar-26-09 6:39AM

Ernie
Administrator

Get a St. Croix.....maybe used. I can help you find one if you would like. The reel is not as important at this point.

#15 Mar-26-09 7:32AM

fishin4food
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks...let me know if you see anything

john.hill.t94@gmail.com

#16 Mar-31-09 6:30PM

Ernie
Administrator

Board footer