Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-02-09 1:37PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

Casting or spinning - when? why?

Do you use just spinning or just casting or both. 
Are there certain reasons you use one over the other?  let us hear about them.

Also - whats your favorite lures?, but what do you end up fishing the most?  sometimes our favorite lures aren't the best fish catchers.  What puts fish in your boat?

for me - I use spinning for light lures, as well as lures where feel is important, like tubes, jigs and stickbaits. 
Casting gets used for spinnerbaits, crankbaits and also for heavier lures or lures that have a lot of resistance coming through the water.  I find the casting reel has much better cranking power and leaves me less fatigued after a long day of casting and reeling. 

my favorite lure is the buzzbait - no questions ask, its fun to throw, makes noise and the strikes are nothing short of a 5-star show on their own, but it doesn't always produce.   In warmer weather, if the buzzbait isn't working, I find myself going to flukes, crankbaits and spinnerbaits as backups and would guess that flukes account for most of my fish through warm weather periods.   In colder weather, tubes get top billing for catching the most fish, though I'd much rather fish a suspending jerkbait or slow roll a spinnerbait or crankbait.

what about you guys?

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#2 Feb-03-09 7:33AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Casting or spinning - when? why?

Good stuff L1ranger!

I use spinning tackle for weightless senkos, trick worms with nail weights, shakey heads, drop shots, weightless flukes, inline spinners, and skipping lures.

castings for frogs, buzzbaits, other top water stuff, jerk baits, crank baits, spinner baits, tubes, jigs.

My go to lure is the senko but my favorite is any type of topwater lure (buzzbaits, frogs, soft plastics). Those top water explosions are addictive.

#3 Feb-03-09 7:44AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

One of the major benefits to using casting gear (once you get the hang of the reels) is the accuracy you realize while pitching, flipping, and skipping lures. Additionally, you will recognize power and control with heavier baits, usually resulting in larger fish.

The lighter tackle is best used for lighter lines and when accuracy is not as important (e.g. drop shotting). However, there is no substitute for the ease of use with the open bales on the spinning reels.

I have leaned towards the casting preference, but it largely depends on the conditions and the style of fishing.

I almost always use spinning tackle when fishing for smallies in Goose Creek and the Upper Potomac.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Feb-03-09 8:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

I lean heavily towards casting just because I like to throw them. I just got some new Abu C4's and they are great. I can throw even lighter stuff.

On a kayak, spinning is just easier....a no brainer. So I usually carry 2 spinners and 1 casting on the yak.

On my boat, casting is the preferred method. I do bring spinning but rarely use it on stripers. Of course, now I have the fly gear so I bring it along on some trips.

Josh's premise is right on the money.

As for a favorite lure? I experiment a lot and yet sometimes I will stick to the "one lure" concept.

Example: when I was in FL in Dec. I took a Sebile rattletrap like lure and used it 90% of the time on a casting rod. It just felt good and I caught as many fish as the expert on the boat.

Yet, back in the 80's, I was fishing with Carl for white perch and I changed lures 11 straight times and caught a white perch on every one of those casts. I have never had a day like that again.

I tend to like soft plastic over hard plastics for smallies and bass but I like metal and hair jigs for stripers (even though I will throw plastic).

Trolling is a necessity at times due to the fishies not cooperating. Either style is fine when trolling.

I love rattletraps but hate the hooks.

Confidence is the key....I used to wear out the bass in Cedar with Zoom Lizards. That's all I would use. OK, now I can catch them so let's try something new. Now, I experiment with other things like nose hooked worms on a circle hook. I just don't fish Cedar that much and when I do, it's right out back.

Many times when I am catching fish I will switch up. I have already proven I can catch them with lure X so now it's time for lure y....it's part of the game.

Last year I fished a bass tournament with Charlie Taylor and I caught most of my fish with a home made lure (by Jeff Little of http://blueridgekayakfishing.com/smf/index.php). It was one of his "left overs'. I had confidence in it and caught near a limit with it (I used a rattletrap to get me over the limit and start culling).

Sometimes, we get hung up on the latest and greatest. I saw some bass lures at GT for over $20!! What?? No way! I will buy good stuff but I am not willing to throw away a dinner!

Whatever you do, get good at one style and then move to the next. Being proficient on one style helps rather than being 50% on three styles. Same with lures. Why does Josh like buzzbaits? because he uses them a lot. like the "hit" and is confident that a smallie will not be able to ignore it. I have seen Josh catch nice smallies on a sunny day in the middle of the day. The book says not to do that.

Great post Josh!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Feb-03-09 10:51AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

I used to use spinnig for everything.  I now use casting for crankbaits and am going to buy a casting setup for frogs and one for spinnerbaits from Quantum.  Soft plastics, jigs, pig and jig, and tubes will still be used with spinning gear.

Favorite tackle:

-any worm texas rigged, carolina, or wacky
-1/4oz or 1/8oz panther martin spinner
-frogs
-pop-r
-tubes
-

#6 Feb-03-09 12:09PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Many times when I am catching fish I will switch up. I have already proven I can catch them with lure X so now it's time for lure y....it's part of the game.

Whatever you do, get good at one style and then move to the next. Being proficient on one style helps rather than being 50% on three styles.

Ernie makes some good points - sometimes the fishing is just on!  in cases like this, I'll try different lures to try and build confidence with them.

other times, If I want to learn a new lure, I'll take nothing but that lure with me when I'm fishing so that I can learn how to fish it under a variety of conditions and add another lure to the arsenal at 100%. 

in a real life, condensed, example - I've been fishing rivers and creeks for bass since i was old enough to cast on my own.  from the beginning, live bait was the key.  from time to time, I'd pick up an inline spinner, or some grubs and leadheads and learned to fish those.  A little later on, I got some pop-rs and floating rapalas and learned to fish those.  once into my teen years, plastic worms/lizards and flukes came into the arsenal and I could literally camp for a long weekend on the river and carry worms, flukes, a pop-r and hooks and weights and not need anything else to catch fish consistently.  Through college, as a poor college student, not much changed.  Once I graduated and had a full time job, I was buying lures like crazy - but never REALLY learned to use most of them. 

Since then, there's been significant outings that have built a confidence in one lure or another.  One was on the new river - the guy i was fishing with had caught some nice fish the day before on white spinnerbaits, he handed me one and I tied it on.  Man was he right - we slayed em that day - best day of river smallies ever, we both had well over 25 fish, and most were 16" or bigger, only a couple were smaller.  I even landed my personal best smallie at 21.5".

Another day was on the James - we got an early start, on the water as the sun rose, and we noticed fish busting bait on the surface.  I tied on a buzzbait that I had won in a raffle the spring before from buckeye baits and proceeded to whoopup on fish all day long.  The guy I was fishing with had buzzbaits as well, but just couldn't produce.  I've continued to stay well stocked on those baits since that day and fish them often.  I landed 78 fish that day, included a citation smallmouth, a 28" musky, and several other nice smallies and largemouth.  Even had a gar try to chase the bait back in the yak with me!  it was an amazing day to say the least, but really boosted my confidence in buzzbaits and you won't find me without them from late spring through fall.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#7 Feb-03-09 3:10PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

On this topic.....

If you could only pick one company to buy all of your bass fishing rods and reels from, which would it be?

I would pick Quantum.

#8 Feb-03-09 3:21PM

Ernie
Administrator

Never put all your eggs in one basket. Are you telling me that a Quantum rod is better than Josh's? No way....and Josh does not make reels.

I mix and match....come to think of it, I don't even own a piece of Quantum. But if you like it...that's all that counts.

#9 Feb-03-09 3:35PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Never put all your eggs in one basket. Are you telling me that a Quantum rod is better than Josh's? No way....and Josh does not make reels.

I mix and match....come to think of it, I don't even own a piece of Quantum. But if you like it...that's all that counts.

Did not think about Josh's and I use his the most.  He is not a company so I can have as many as his as I want along with the others hahahhahahaha.

Good point.

#10 Feb-03-09 10:50PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I am not a fan of Quantum but I haven't used any of their high end stuff.

I currently own all Shimano reels (Stradic FH, Citica E, and Citica D) but I'm looking to make my next reel a Daiwa because I've heard great things.

I own a St Croix Legend Tournament spinning rod, a Kistler Magnesium flipping rod, and a custom GBlanks casting rod. I don't have as much brand loyalty when it comes to rods, but I think that's because there are a LOT more rod manufacturers than reel manufacturers so there are a lot of great options.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Feb-03-09 10:51PM)

#11 Feb-04-09 7:33AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Right now I go with Shimano Reels and St. Croix Rods.

#12 Feb-04-09 9:31AM

Ernie
Administrator

Remember, the reel is mainly used to gather the line. It's the rod that does most of the work if you are fishing properly. Tourney fishermen are an anomily because they want that fish in the boat (sometimes they horse them in) quickly.

If you properly play a fish, the rod is doing most of the work.

#13 Feb-04-09 9:31AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

all my rods are my own

reels vary, based on the model and what its used for.  I have several gander mountain spinning reels and for what I use them for, they work great.
I've also got a shimano calcutta, abu garcia 5500, pinnacle inertia and diawa procaster and like them all

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#14 Feb-04-09 10:16AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Remember, the reel is mainly used to gather the line. It's the rod that does most of the work if you are fishing properly. Tourney fishermen are an anomily because they want that fish in the boat (sometimes they horse them in) quickly.

If you properly play a fish, the rod is doing most of the work.

But doesn't the drag matter? I love fishing for big fish with my ML and L rods on 4-6lbs. test so drag is important to me.

I have Daiwa and St. Croix rods with reels from abu garcia, daiwa, shimano, pflueger, and quantum.

You use what you like. My favorite set up (rod/reel) is my daiwa/daiwa and my st. criox/shimano.

#15 Feb-04-09 10:56AM

Ernie
Administrator

Drag matters.....but simple reels have good drag systems. Drag really matters when you are trying to bring in a 100 Cobia or something like that.

I should mention that  casting reel should be of better quality since you use that tool to throw (both rod and reel do the work). On a spinner, it's just a matter of unraveling line.

For me, there is waaaaay too much hype on high end reels. I have a bunch of $40-45 Okuma Epixors (30s) that have brought in stripers up to 37 inches (20+ lbs) on 12 lb line.....NO ISSUES!

My favorite setup?? The one I am using at that particular time. I love them all but I am a little partial to my custom rod which is matched with an Okuma Epixor 20 (rear drag knob).

#16 Feb-04-09 3:28PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

for freshwater use, I've never met a drag on a decent reel that wouldn't do that job.

especially now, that I use braid almost exclusively, my drag is almost all the way tightened down and only slips on the best of fish

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#17 Feb-06-09 7:34AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Drag absolutely matters, especially when you are dealing with light tackle. Lake Anna, for example, is a very clear lake (especially at the southern end) that requires deft movements and light, invisible tackle. A common technique you will hear from the locals involve back reeling to manage drag and the usage of light tackle for big bass. Managing the drag on light tackle when dealing with 3+ lb bass is critical to keeping them on and not breaking the line.

#18 Feb-16-09 9:29AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Well done Josh...way to get information out of me for my rod...without me even putting two and two together. I look forward to the final product!

#19 Feb-17-09 1:10PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

I wouldn't do anyting like that Coz wink

just getting the brains warmed up for spring - lots of basics out there that we forget to think about over time.  plus it always good to share information.

we'd all do well to listen and learn from others.  see what they do, why/how it works and use or adapt it to work for us as well.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

Board footer