Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-14-08 3:40PM

doberdog1

Solomons 12/14 fishing in the wind

Carl and I headed towards fish heaven (SOLOMONS ISLAND), at least for Carl and I.  We headed there about 8 in the morning from Fairfax and since Carl was driving we got there about 10:30(Ha Ha).  When we got there it was sooooo windy that we decided to wait to see if the wind calms down.  while we were waiting we saw several boats come in.  one boat had caught 5 big rock fish the biggest being 41" long.  Several other boats ranging from 38-44".  So finally about 11:30 we got in the boat and headed out near the bridge to see if we can find any schools of fish on the fish finder.  Nothing really showed up, so we decided to bottom fish using warms and shrimp.  Our first drop we caught to rock fish right of the back which got us really excited.  The rock fish were a whopping 9" and 12" and that is probably being generous.  As Carl said we just enjoyed being in fish heaven, man do we love Solomon.  I told Carl that this is not my specialty, my specialty come when I white perch fish.  After all I have 6 months of experience in white perch fishing.  Maybe one day I can give up being a chiropractor and be a white perch guide (guarantee to catch 40 white perch).  Fishing was done at 4pm.

Sorry about the long story, it is my first one!

I think I love fishing!Mo

#2 Dec-14-08 4:14PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Solomons 12/14 fishing in the wind

Great story Mo...not long at all! We all learn from these.

There are several websites you can check to see about wind conditions etc. But then again, I check them too and still go! Glad you got out and caught a few fish! Those big rock were caught out in the middle of the bay but that is an area that our buddy Carl will not consider. He does not like being far from land. I have stories!  tongue

This summer, we will go to the Choptank for some big perch! I still have a special affinity for white perch fishing. I got it from our mutual friend and mentor! wink

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Dec-15-08 3:27AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

When we arrived at the boat ramp there was just enough wind to show small white caps and the temperature was cold enough to make my nose numb. Mo was fired up and ready to launch and go find the perch. I, on the other hand, was now in a "wait and see" mode. After watching Mo pace up and down the peer I knew I was going to launch regardless of wind conditions. Once under way, we did some experimenting and determined that the fish finder is picking up false signals from the air bubbles caused by the boat and motor. I'm going to reserarch this and try to find a remedy.

#4 Dec-15-08 5:13AM

Ernie
Administrator

Try adjusting the "gain". I started playing with this at Lake Anna after learning more about it on Saturday morning when we were  in the parking lot waiting for the winds to die down so we could fish the CBBT which we never did.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer