Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-21-19 12:56PM

Ernie
Administrator

8-21-19, Spa Creek

This was our 1st time here this year.

We were on the water by 7a and we had our 1st perchies in short order.

https://i.imgur.com/tZAHJ7U.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/img7W1Z.jpg

Beautiful place!

https://i.imgur.com/ZkXhdTU.jpg

After catching a few, we moved over to the condos where we caught a few more. But they were not the size we were looking for.

On the move again...

https://i.imgur.com/qF1gSCZ.jpg

So I took Bob to a new area (for him), the wall at the U.S. Naval Academy. We scored nicely but the size was lacking.

So on to the Towers we went. It was a fairly easy ride over although a little choppy.

We hammered the rocks and the wall and we did well. Not hot and heavy but steady.

I got an 11"er for the SRRKC leader board.

https://i.imgur.com/YPrLPQv.jpg

I caught another one just like that a little later.  I think Bob and I are in the top 3...for now...and Bob's in 1st!

Bob was doing well, catching a few stripers...

https://i.imgur.com/Z8kf943.jpg

...this one was 17".

And he caught many a perch!

https://i.imgur.com/6NPtgCQ.jpg

We had a blast...except for 2 things.

1. There were a ton of "floaters" in the Severn. We have never seen anything like that. Lots of big stripers, a bunch of shad and some WP.

2. They had predicted just a little wind in the AM, we got 10-12mph. Then it really picked up and it was kicking against the current and outgoing tide. Three or 4 times I said we needed to get going but we kept fishing. Finally, it was time to cross the mouth of the Severn, often called the Washing Machine.

We got very wet! We had steady 2' rollers coming in. Quartering was impossible. I finally surfed in the last 1/3 of the way.

But we got back across safely. My hands were cramped from gripping the steering wheel. I had valuable cargo on board after all!

We then hit a few more spots in Spa Creek before calling it at 1p.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-21-19 3:06PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 8-21-19, Spa Creek

looks like it was rolling a bit by the towers.............

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 Aug-21-19 3:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

It tired me out and tightened up my back. When we got back to the ramp, Bob asked me if I wanted him to get the truck. Heck no! I needed to walk up the hill to loosen up.

We still caught a ton of perchies...many over 10"! All went back in the drink.

#4 Aug-22-19 6:10AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

What was up with all the floaters? 

Seems like I'm hearing this same story in the fresh water rivers.  Wondering if the warm weather's culling the fish?

Be safe out there Ernie - we don't want to hear any bad news on WTOP

Also sorry to hear about the back - I understand

#5 Aug-22-19 6:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

What was up with all the floaters?

Not sure, they were all along a tide line. Could be from the live lining fleet or it could be from dissolved oxygen.. This river is salty. Water temps was 83-84.

hookup wrote:

Be safe out there Ernie - we don't want to hear any bad news on WTOP

We were never in a pickle. Just got wet because the of the wind.  Bob said he had no worries.

hookup wrote:

Also sorry to hear about the back - I understand

All it did was tighten up because of the rollers. Once I walked up the hill...I loosened up, totally fine. Remember, I had mine fixed. This was regular maintenance.

#6 Aug-22-19 6:40AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Unfortunate about the fish kill, glad you got some big WP though.

#7 Aug-22-19 6:53AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

This river is salty. Water temps was 83-84.

High water temps mean less dissolved oxygen.  Not sure how the higher salinity affects the fish?  I remember seeing many fish kills when the wife & I use to camp frequently on the northern neck.  Nature's way of culling?

Remember, I had mine fixed.

Yes, I remember.  And you're one of the rare ones that I've gotten good reports from - but I believe that is because you prepared your body for the operation and worked hard after the operation to strengthen your core and keep your weight down.

We were never in a pickle.

Two foot rollers and surfing your jet into the outlet sounds like an adventure to me

Bottom line, wish I could have joined you.  Family & work's kicking my butt but I'm not complaining because I'm blessed because of both

#8 Aug-22-19 6:55AM

Ernie
Administrator

Oh...Bob caught a flounder as well. Long time since that happened.  But it fell off as Bob was bringing it up.

#9 Aug-22-19 7:20PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Another fun day with lots of fish caught. Severn reports haven't been all that good on the kayak board. Guess the trick is to fish outside of kayak range.
Never a worry crossing the river, the captain was always in control. The low sides did make for a wet crossing, but the 83 deg. water felt good on a hot day. I learned a lesson on how the quick-dry fabric works. All the water from the shirt quickly runs down your back into your shorts. Got home with a perfectly dry shirt and a wet butt. Wife had  good laugh. Thanks again E.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#10 Aug-23-19 5:34AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Got home with a perfectly dry shirt and a wet butt.

LoL
Need some quick-dry fabric underwear

#11 Aug-23-19 7:11AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Glad to hear you guys got out and did well.  Concerned about the dead fish.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#12 Aug-23-19 8:34AM

Ernie
Administrator

drxfish wrote:

Concerned about the dead fish.

During the summer, most of the big charters are on a "live lie" bite. They catch spot early and then use them on circle hooks to catch boat limits. Many a day, there is a line of dead fish (stripers) that just don't make it after release. Whether it's gut hooked, fought too long or the wrong size and tossed back, they die. Bob and I speculated that the tide and wind brought these in but we have no clue.

The dead shad are a different story.

#13 Aug-23-19 9:54AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Shad can be sensitive to temperature or maybe oxygen levels.  There are still red tide issues I believe.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer