Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-02-19 8:22PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

8/2/19 Upper Potomac

After the weather people lied and we got no rain, I decided to get out for some afternoon smallies.  I ran upriver and started fishing the middle of the river.  It was windy and the wind was from the South, causing about 1 foot waves and the boat was not really going downstream.  I tried an underspin and got a couple short strikes.  I decided to use a chatterbait with no skirt and a Little Dipper on it.  After about 15 minutes or so, I caught a smallie that was about 13 inches and healthy.
https://i.imgur.com/S76PYaC.jpg
About 5 minutes later, I landed another smallie about the same size.  I was happy and thought it might turn out to be a good day.  The wind was moving me toward the shore,  The water there was muddier and very shallow.  I moved out a bit and tried a couple spots, but really was not moving much due to the wind.  I made many casts with the chatterbait and did not catch any more fish.  I eventually tried the shore again with a Whopper Plopper, Keitech swim bait, the chatterbait and eventually a spinnerbait.  Somethiing bit the tail off the Keitech, but I did not hook up.  I tried three different WPs, the spinnerbait and a Skinny Dipper, but no more fish.  The water was about 84 degrees and just below 2 feet at POR.  The wind died down some, which I think hurt the bite.  I enjoyed the evening and got off the water about 7:30pm or so.  2 smallies under 13 inches, but they were healthy.

Oh yeah, I tried to catch a picture of this guy in a tree, but fumbled and just missed a good shot.  I caught him flying away (Bald Eagle).
https://i.imgur.com/Yf2bc2s.jpg

Last edited by drxfish (Aug-02-19 8:25PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Aug-03-19 11:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 8/2/19 Upper Potomac

What didn't you throw that you wanted to throw?

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-03-19 12:22PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

I used to go to happy hour almost every friday....now I'd rather be doing a friday evening fishing trip like you did John!

#4 Aug-03-19 12:52PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

What didn't you throw that you wanted to throw?

I did not try a grub.  I did try a wacky senko, but no love.  I should have tried the spinnerbait earlier maybe.  There was lots of dislodged muck floating on top.  Pretty gross really.  MD side was clear and VA side was more stained and mucky due to wind.  I did not fish the MD side as it had the sun.  Too windy for UL.

Last edited by drxfish (Aug-03-19 12:53PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer