Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-10-19 7:27AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Widewater, C&O Canal 7/9/19

I got a couple hours to fish last night and decided on Widewater, it usually is cleaner than other water after a good rain event but when I got there I was not expecting this.

https://i.imgur.com/4h5rBRcl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XuQJUrLl.jpg

It was basically a debris and duckweed field that went out 10-15 yards all along the bank. I was planning on paddletails, spinners, and maybe some topwater, but that totally changed and I pegged a 1/4oz t-rigged GY Cowboy on and basically used it to punch through the debris.

Nothing along the first stretch of bank where the debris was heavy, but past the walking bridge, the debris became more sporadic and I started to target nooks in the rock wall, and isolated debris cover.

This 2lber hit the Cowboy almost immediately and took the line sideways. I also lost a smaller one a few yards away while hoisting it up the embankment.
https://i.imgur.com/1ej0YnDl.jpg

Water level is still down, even after all the rain and I'm not sure how all that debris is going to clear out with such low water level since there's not much flow. It's going to take some strong winds and a lot of time I think. I don't think I'm going to hit Widewater again for a while, unfortunately.

Main river flow didn't look that bad, there were about 15 kayakers down there that I could see, but it was chocolate milk as well.

Last edited by Junger (Jul-10-19 7:30AM)

#2 Jul-10-19 7:30AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Widewater, C&O Canal 7/9/19

Nice report and nice fish. I've walked by that body of water when hiking around that area many times and always wanted to try fishing it.

Last edited by firemunkee (Jul-10-19 7:30AM)

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#3 Jul-10-19 7:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

Good catch in tough conditions....

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jul-10-19 7:31AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

firemunkee wrote:

Nice report. I've walked by that body of water when hiking around that area man times and always wanted to try fishing it.

Let me know next time you're going hiking there and I'll meet up with you.

#5 Jul-10-19 9:32AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice fish!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 Jul-11-19 6:35AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Junger wrote:

firemunkee wrote:

Nice report. I've walked by that body of water when hiking around that area man times and always wanted to try fishing it.

Let me know next time you're going hiking there and I'll meet up with you.

Sounds good. But I haven't been since before kids lol it will probably be a few more years before everyone can walk on their own haha

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Board footer