Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-17-19 3:28PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

3/17/19 Lake Whetstone

After cleaning up the garage, my wife rewarded me with 1.5 hours and I made a quick trip to Lake Whetstone. Wind was a steady 8-10mph, with some gusts upward of 20mph. I only brought one rod and lure, white chatterbait with a bluegill pattern Rage Menace. Water was really stained, 2-3" visibility max and water temps were probably around 50 degrees, so it's going to be on very soon. Saw some splash carp in the shallow end on the east side of the lake.

Threw the chatterbait near some visible branch laydowns, and I thought I had a lunker for my first fish of the year. I had to tighten the drag to move this thing, then as I got it closer to the bank....I saw a dark sillouhette...and....3lb soaked trash bag. The wind must have fooled me with a gust that pushed the line to think I had a headshake. Anyways, I brought it onto the bank and tossed it into a trash canister.
https://i.imgur.com/IJfvqhV.jpg?1

I was running out of time, so I just started to cast and reel back at a steady pace as I walked back toward the boat house. I got to the dock and made some skips under the boat house and thought I snagged a small branch. I turned out to be a little guy as my first fish of the year. I didn't care though, he smelled fish and great and then I let him go.

https://i.imgur.com/mEOXJS9.jpg?1

#2 Mar-17-19 6:26PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 3/17/19 Lake Whetstone

#1.  That's a start!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Mar-18-19 4:42AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Trash bags have fooled me before. I once caught a spare tire on a pig and jig that had me fooled, as it bounced off the bottom several times in the current.

Oh spring has sprung.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Mar-18-19 6:05AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Fish! I have a vague memory of fishing that lake once as a kid and catching some sort of sunfish. How productive is it now?

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#5 Mar-18-19 6:50AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

firemunkee wrote:

Fish! I have a vague memory of fishing that lake once as a kid and catching some sort of sunfish. How productive is it now?

Still very productive for panfish, usually bluegill and green sunfish. The crappie come out in the spring and you can see them congregate by the dock.

It's a great spot for kids. There's a little park when they get bored of fishing, and there are also rowboats you can rent for some exploration.

Board footer