Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-07-19 3:25PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Upper Potomac 2/7/19

I was planning to get out with Ernie this week, but the stars did not align.  I had been working on my boat and got everything finished (new wheel hubs, new fish finder, new lower unit oil and changed plugs).  I decided to hit the river today before it gets cold again.  The water was clear-green and was about 5 foot at Point of Rocks.  It only had to shovel a little mud to get the boat in.  It started right up and I was on my way about 8:15am.  I was using hair jigs, 1/4 oz. jigs with and without hair with small darter style trailers and a tube.  The water temp ranged from 37 to 41 degrees throughout the day and air temps were upper 40's to mid-50's.  I caught my first fish in a shoreline current break with a Punisher jig with a small chunk trailer.  It was small, but I was excited to get the skunk out.
https://i.imgur.com/jIhta9V.jpg
It was a little while before I caught my next fish.  It was 14.5" and hit a tube.
https://i.imgur.com/E2BS9jh.jpg
Next was a 17" smallie that hit the tube behind a current break and immediately started running.
https://i.imgur.com/vjTqB4C.jpg
I lost a couple in one area.  They would pick up and I tried to get a hookset, but they came off.  I hit a different island shoreline quickly before calling it a day.  A chunky and feisty 17.5"er hit the tube as it was swimming in an eddy.  I could not get the fish to stop moving for the picture. but I took two.
https://i.imgur.com/JjEnh4U.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CvhlrAe.jpg
I was happy that I got out and caught a few February smallies.  That may be a first for me.  I was off the water about 5:00pm.

Last edited by drxfish (Feb-07-19 3:25PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Feb-07-19 7:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Upper Potomac 2/7/19

Good Lord that's a looooong fishing day! Good thing we didn't go Tuesday (iced up ramp) because you would have been ticked when I would've quit, normally around 2 pm or so.

But so glad you got a few!! Good work! The high water has proven to be a benefit....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-07-19 8:22PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Very  nice.

#4 Feb-08-19 4:59AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Way to go get them

#5 Feb-08-19 8:48AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Awesome. I'm jealous, haven't wet a line in weeks.

tight lines

#6 Feb-08-19 9:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

A buddy did the Susky yesterday and got 9...ice chunks all over the river made if for tough navigation.

I saw a separate report of someone asking how the conditions were at Algonkian yesterday. Some folks replied that they drove by and it was "high and dirty". Ha! Little did they know.....

#7 Feb-08-19 10:07AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I was the only boat out that I saw.  It was overall not uncomfortable.  I really did not wear gloves most of the day and I had to take my jacket off in the afternoon.  I ran upriver quite a bit and just worked my way down slowly.  Water was lower than the last couple times out and you can really see the erosion that has occurred with the high water.  Even with weedguards, I lost jigs and tubes to underwater limbs and snags.  I had a ned rig on at one point, but I snagged it and switched to a jig.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#8 Feb-08-19 11:37AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Bryan wrote:

Awesome. I'm jealous, haven't wet a line in weeks.

I haven't fished since November! But I have been playing tackle dollhouse, reading other people's reports and watching fishing shows, and even inventoried every piece of tackle I have into a spreadsheet.

So it's been a productive winter...other than not catching anything since 2018.

#9 Feb-08-19 11:46AM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

even inventoried every piece of tackle I have into a spreadsheet.

Something a CPA would do!

But don't worry, I was just down in the basement practicing backhanded side casts with my new baitcasting rods...which I didn't need!

#10 Feb-08-19 3:39PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Ernie wrote:

But don't worry, I was just down in the basement practicing backhanded side casts with my new baitcasting rods...which I didn't need!

Bet it was warm, catch anything?

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#11 Feb-12-19 3:54PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Junger wrote:

I haven't fished since November!

I'm not even going mention when the last time I wet a line roll

Junger wrote:

But I have been playing tackle dollhouse

LOL I like this.

Junger wrote:

I like this even more! Is it just for inventory sake or will you also be logging things like how many fishes each one catches?

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#12 Feb-12-19 5:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Bet it was warm, catch anything?

The rug....

#13 Feb-12-19 8:37PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

firemunkee wrote:

Junger wrote:

I like this even more! Is it just for inventory sake or will you also be logging things like how many fishes each one catches?

I mentally track what catches, and kind of build that into my spreadsheet. For example 4.3" Keitech Fat Impact Swings in Bluegill Flash are my #1 producing paddletail, and I use it mostly with a Trokar 3/0 Swimblade in 1/4oz. My spreadsheet tracks how many I've bought, used/lost and I can replenish when needed. For other colors that don't produce as much, I make a note to not rebuy and when they're gone, they're gone.

Also, if there's some deal at Dick's like Buy 5 Get 5, I can look at my spreadsheet and see which lures I use/need the most and use that instead of rummaging through all my tackle.

#14 Feb-14-19 5:47AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Junger wrote:

inventoried every piece of tackle I have into a spreadsheet.

I would never do that because if my wife ever found that spreadsheet, she'd know how much I spend on fishing

#15 Feb-14-19 6:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

I would never do that because if my wife ever found that spreadsheet, she'd know how much I spend on fishing

You're that guy that says, "when I am gone, I hope my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid".

#16 Feb-14-19 8:05AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Too funny, but so true. big_smile

#17 Feb-14-19 11:24AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

You're that guy that says, "when I am gone, I hope my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid".

Guilty as charged

Board footer