Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-11-18 1:49PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Archery question

I'm looking to retire my old bow. I don't hunt anymore, no place to go, no time etc, but I really miss shooting. While doing a bit of research I came across the Diamond Medalist 38. It is marketed as a entry level target bow or one for finger shooters. I like the adjustable range of the draw lengths. I have a 32" draw and it is near impossible to find a draw that long these days. My main question for the forum is, does anyone shoot a Diamond or Bowtech bow? Does anyone know anyone who has shot a medalist? I hate to buy blind, but none of Diamond dealers I've called really seems to carry this model. Looking at Archerytalk there are a few threads on it, but there is also alot of "if it isn't (mathews/hoyt) it is junk) talk in there.

This is about the best review I can find...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfPvHZEs0Hw

I like how he takes it apart and breaks down everything on the boy.  Just for the record, it does come in camo...

Then question two...

What do you do with an old bow? I bought that mathews back in 95. At that age, I wonder how safe it really is. I've put a ton of arrows through it. Hunted in every condition with it. I've replaced the cables when they need it, but worry about the limbs and riser etc wearing out...

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Dec-12-18 7:41AM)

#2 Dec-12-18 10:08AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Archery question

Interesting bow. I did consider a new re-curve to take me back to my youth and do some target shooting. Saw one recently that had adjustable draw length via the riser/limb screws. But I have enough to keep me busy right now. Maybe when I retire.

Your old Matthews is most likely safe unless you see some De-lamination in the limbs. Or a deep scrape on the limbs.

I miss shooting targets.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Dec-13-18 7:27AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

wow, 32 is long!.  I don't think I have the chicken wing span, but it's good to know they make it for guys like you.  I unfortunately have never shot one, but will check with buddies and see if they have any experience with it.  I stopped reading into forums now because it's like no one has their own opinion that is correct.  I shoot a bear (last 18 years and no problem).  I also have a long bow for light sport shooting.  I agree with Capt Mike....check for degradation of the limbs/cracks/delam/even scuffs.  But new strings should make it new again!

If you ever want to shoot at a outdoor range, Isaak Walton in centreville has a nice place and Ft Belvoir has like 10 lanes of all distances (100 yds even) I recall.

#4 Dec-13-18 12:32PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

If you ever want to shoot at a outdoor range, Isaak Walton in centreville has a nice place and Ft Belvoir has like 10 lanes of all distances (100 yds even) I recall.

I used to be a member of Belvoir Bowhunters and helped to build the outdoor range and the field archery range way back in the day (like in the 80s back in the day). Hunted there util I moved to Ashburn.

Board footer