Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-21-18 7:08AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Mattawoman 8/19/18 w/ Capt Dave

I was really pumped up for this trip because I had driven about 9 hours from NH back to MD since Saturday (we made a pit stop at my wife's mother's house in NJ). My brother was fishing with me on this trip as well, and he's the only one left in my family to get a NSH. My dad had the honors of getting his first NSH several weeks ago with Capt. Dave.

We started out with a high tide around 3:30PM, and threw toads into the pads. I had one fish follow twice, but other than that no signs of activity so we headed toward the wall. On our way, we saw a yaker in the water and Capt. Dave asks him if he's cooling off or if he fell out. He had fallen out and needed assistance. He was a big fella and had just sold his boat, this was his first time in a fishing kayak, and had no PFD on. Unfortunately he had to learn about kayak fishing the hard way, and he lost his phone, and one of two rods. It took all three of us to hold one side of the kayak while he pulled himself up on the other. It wasn't a particularly wide part of the creek, but who knows how that may have ended up if we didn't show up.

We motor on and proclaimed that the fishing gods should reward us for our good deed. We start fishing the inside edge of the grass mats and the pickle grass with toads before the wall. My brother had the deck so he thinks he saw movement, but keeps casting forward. I behind him so I'm trying to be a little more selective and pick spots where there are holes into the pickle grass and space to swim the toad back to the grass mat. It paid off and I hook up, and the fish digs deep into the grass mat. My toad rod is a Daiwa Aird-X 7' H/F , so I slam the rod up and keep pressure until we 4-wheel drive to the fish and I haul it out. It was probably about 6lbs, but that picture is from my brother and the angle is from the deck, so it's looks a little smaller from that angle...and so does my belly so I'm OK with that! For $50, the Aird-X line is great if you're not looking for sensitivity, it's very light and balanced.
https://i.imgur.com/kgLbxt2.jpg?2

We kept with the toads all up and down the creek and had good water in the pads, and I think my brother got 1 hit but that's it. Then as we were motoring back toward the wall to get ready for golden hour, we come across another boat and as we're chatting they ask if we want a NSH they caught. Sure, good eats, my grill is ready to smoke it so Dave had to dispatch it quickly. The guys on the boat didn't know they had to be killed to be possessed and they were planning to machete off the heads at the dock. While we were chatting I got my popper rod ready and threw one cast out. 3 pops and I land a good chunky LMB.
https://i.imgur.com/64vjlUW.jpg?1

We head back down toward the wall and then my brother lands a good 2.8lb LMB (his personal best) on a popper.
https://i.imgur.com/s2NJAS8.jpg?1

I like to throw something a little different from the back of the boat, so I wanted to fish the Spro BBZ rat. I love this lure....the noise and action is amazing. I caught one just after my brother's fish, and had a couple more small blows ups, unsure if they were LMB or aggressive bluegill though. I was primarily pitching it just past the grass mat, then ripping it into the open water and swimming and pausing. Dave gave me a good lesson on pitching, which is something I need to master.
https://i.imgur.com/v44x56g.jpg?1

It got dark behind the clouds and became difficult to see the pad and grass edges, but we kept trying until about 8:40PM with toads but had no other takers and called it. Fun night, no NSH for my brother but he got a new PB and the weather was great.

Last edited by Junger (Aug-21-18 7:15AM)

#2 Aug-21-18 9:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Mattawoman 8/19/18 w/ Capt Dave

When I coached baseball, I could pitch batting practice all day long without wearing out my arm. After all of these years of fishing though, pitching is still a learning piece for me.

Nice job...looks like the usual great time!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-21-18 9:07AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Good trip.  I like that rat!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Aug-21-18 9:17AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Pitching and flipping are not my favorite way to fish, but I get why they're effective. Once it got dark and I couldn't see the grass or pad line, I made the same pitch motion over and over and I could hear it splash and it was not stuck into the cover at all.

Love the rat and hope I can bust it out at Starrett Pointe.

#5 Aug-21-18 11:09AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Although I did not file a report we did have some odd catch's on Sunday. First pickerel in 20 years was caught on Mattawomen Creek Sunday.
Also we had a 10 inch snakehead that fell off as I lifted it out of the water.  Never caught one that small before. All caught on tiny torpedo along with 4 bass.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Aug-21-18 1:35PM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

and hope I can bust it out at Starrett Pointe.

When are you going?

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Aug-21-18 1:58PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

When are you going?

21-23 with John Foley's gang. They must have liked the beer I brought last year to invite me back. big_smile

#8 Aug-22-18 4:51PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Great report and nice fish too.

tight lines

Board footer