Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Feb-02-18 7:22AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Facebook

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

It's for people who are self centered.

Although I agree allot use FB for an extension of their selphies, but I initially signed up to keep in touch with my church's activities and my fishing buddies.

Now I understand the political division that's happening to this country.  FB is NOT helping

#27 Feb-02-18 7:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

For me, the "unfollow" button is my friend on FB.

I just want to keep up with friends, family and fishing.

But sadly, I have some friends that I now unfollow because of their constant tirades....about many things. Not sure if they would do that in a normal social setting.....

Creating a private FB fishing page seemed like a better alternative. That's what I was originally thinking about.  Invite those that you want to share fishing stuff with and that's it. But...since lots of folks here don't use FB, that idea is now in the toilet.

Time to go fishin' again!

#28 Feb-02-18 8:57AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

What would be the intent of moving to a FB group? I think I might have missed that in this thread. Maybe there's another solution to whatever problem you're trying to solve.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#29 Feb-02-18 9:03AM

Ernie
Administrator

The "problem" is that folks are now used to posting pics instantly off their phones. To post a pic here, it's cumbersome. Lots less posting of fishing excursions than before. The website and applications are old. I have no clue how to update and really don't want to spend the money to do so. Plus I have to monitor the site all the time.

#30 Feb-02-18 10:41AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Gotcha. I'm not sure how you would set it up, or what it would cost, but I know some forums you can upload directly from your phone. I don't know the details but it uses the Tapatalk platform. You can upload/insert pictures directly in a post (they get stored on Tapatalk's servers) or add pictures as an "attachment" (so they aren't directly in-line with the post but visually show up at like an email attachment). So you still get to keep a forum (as opposed to the FB groups format) and there is the convenience of being able to upload pictures directly. SnaggedLine has this feature if you wanted to check it out. Tapatalk also has a mobile app where you can do all this directly from your phone too.

Last edited by firemunkee (Feb-02-18 10:43AM)

#31 Feb-02-18 10:50AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie, I belong to a facebook group that is private (again for gaming only), but it would make it easier for photos and videos.  I think your idea is a good one.  Our members here believe in sharing our passion of fishing and being outdoors.  I don't recall anyone ever talking politics or having rants that weren't shared by all of us (weather for instance).  Let's give it a try with the active members and see what happens.  Whatever happens....I'll support it.

#32 Feb-02-18 10:56AM

Ernie
Administrator

Let's give it a try with the active members and see what happens.

Issue is that a lot of the guys here are not on FB....I think starting an FB page would dilute this and I would then be monitoring 2 sites....

#33 Feb-02-18 12:11PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Let's give it a try with the active members and see what happens.

Issue is that a lot of the guys here are not on FB....I think starting an FB page would dilute this and I would then be monitoring 2 sites....

I agree with Ernie......I would not use FB or post on it.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#34 Feb-02-18 1:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

I agree with Ernie......I would not use FB or post on it.

But....if the hosting costs and support go haywire, it would force me to shutdown. That's my biggest fear. This is a very old platform. When I researched it last year, there was no way to save the history, should the forum host go away.

FB is where I would end up 'cause I ain't building another one of these.

#35 Feb-02-18 2:25PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Can you not export the data into a flat file that can be parsed?

#36 Feb-02-18 3:08PM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

Can you not export the data into a flat file that can be parsed?

No clue on how to do it or if it's even possible.

#37 Feb-02-18 3:09PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Ernie I understand your concerns. It reminds of a song in the 80's that sung about how MTV killed the radio star. Sometimes just a small tweak in old platform can make it work better. The site is not broke I am very happy with it. The question comes to "how people can upload pics from there phones." Well one of many sites I post on is using Tapatalk but I still post the way I have always posted. And to be honest none of the members who are over the age of 50 have learned how to use it yet. LOL..They do extract fees from your users to turn off ad's.

Perhaps a hosting site with the membership could solve this. Just spitballing here..

I would really miss this place, so many good friends and memories..

Capt Mike

Last edited by captmikestarrett (Feb-02-18 3:21PM)

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#38 Feb-02-18 3:29PM

Ernie
Administrator

So....after reading Mike's comments I started looking around and saw that my PunBB (Powers Forum) version was 1.2.5. I then looked around some more and they have the latest update at 1.4.4. Seems like I missed a few. Now, i am scared to update it. No clue what all the updates are for but they do state lots of fixes.

Do I update or not?

#39 Feb-02-18 3:35PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Go for it..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#40 Feb-02-18 3:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

Well.....if the site goes down....c'est la vie!

#41 Feb-03-18 6:01AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I would say first figure out if export is possible before updating so all the data can be backed up. Worse comes to worse I'm sure one of us could write a site crawler to manual extract all the posts. I could hack one together if need be but it might take me a while tongue

Actually I vaguely remember someone here posting about a site that will archive your website for you? Curly perhaps? That might be a quick and dirty way to back it up, and then it can be parsed later to extract the content.

Last edited by firemunkee (Feb-03-18 10:53PM)

#42 Feb-03-18 9:46AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Your webmaster that set up your site can do a backup.  Any webmaster worth half their weight in rock salt can do it.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#43 Feb-03-18 10:37AM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

Your webmaster that set up your site can do a backup.  Any webmaster worth half their weight in rock salt can do it.

Easier said that done...don't know where he is these days. I don't know any webmasters.

But I know I checked before and the answer was not an easy one.

#44 Feb-03-18 10:38AM

Ernie
Administrator

firemunkee wrote:

I would say first figure out if export is possible before updating so all the data can be backed up. Worse comes to worse I'm sure one of us could write a site crawler to manual extract all the posts. I could they a hack if need be but it might take me a while tongue

You are now talking a foreign language to me.....

And....we were hacked once before, don't want any part of that.

#45 Feb-03-18 11:41AM

Ernie
Administrator

Ernie wrote:

I was able to download the latest version but did not find an "exe" file to get it going.

#46 Feb-03-18 10:54PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

firemunkee wrote:

I would say first figure out if export is possible before updating so all the data can be backed up. Worse comes to worse I'm sure one of us could write a site crawler to manual extract all the posts. I could they a hack if need be but it might take me a while tongue

You are now talking a foreign language to me.....

And....we were hacked once before, don't want any part of that.

Sorry, I apparently can't type on my phone. I meant to say "I could hack something together if need be".

#47 Feb-03-18 11:01PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Ernie wrote:

I was able to download the latest version but did not find an "exe" file to get it going.

I don't know anything about being a webmaster, but a quick glance at the PunBB Wiki http://punbb.informer.com/wiki/start seems to indicate upgrading involves replacing files on the server where the site is hosted? Also might be a good idea to first upgrade to 1.3 then to 1.4.

Board footer