Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-28-16 5:42PM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

Occoquan Reservoir 6-28-16

Made it out this morning for a few hours. Bite was slow to say the least, but I got the 4.65 lber shown below on a drop shot, and also managed a 2.77 lber on a hollow body frog. A few other smaller ones rounded out the day.

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah240/kevinjmalone/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7m4rzxwm.jpeg

Does anyone have any advice for fishing that deeper water when it gets hot? Deep crankbaits? Carolina rig?

#2 Jun-29-16 2:01PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Occoquan Reservoir 6-28-16

Not bad at all for Summertime.  I was nearly skunked last Saturday.  Caught one crappie on a crankbait and one small LM on a Bandit footloose under a bridge.  I thought it woul be muddy, but it was pretty clear.  Get out early and usually you can get one before the sun gets up.  Otherwise, they go DEEP and I hear the thermocline is around 15 feet.

Last edited by drxfish (Jun-29-16 2:07PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jun-29-16 8:07PM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

drxfish wrote:

Not bad at all for Summertime.  I was nearly skunked last Saturday.  Caught one crappie on a crankbait and one small LM on a Bandit footloose under a bridge.  I thought it woul be muddy, but it was pretty clear.  Get out early and usually you can get one before the sun gets up.  Otherwise, they go DEEP and I hear the thermocline is around 15 feet.

As I understand it though, the bass don't go below the thermocline. Correct or not?

#4 Jun-30-16 3:57PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I think you are correct, Kevin.  I have tried trolling a crank, but got snagged and lost my lure more than once.  I do not like fishing sunny days or low, clear water there.  Just never had much luck.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer