Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-26-16 5:46PM

findingnemo

South Riding Ponds

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get into fishing and spend some quality time with the family. I wanted to know if any of the ponds in South Riding are stocked with bass?  Or what's a spot to get the family hooked on fishing. I went to the pier (Pond 6) but only caught very small bluegills; nothing that excited the family. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm hoping that this new hobby will gives us plenty of quality time and good memories.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

#2 Mar-30-16 10:25AM

mkupchyk

Re: South Riding Ponds

Hi Alex, Yes SR ponds have a variety of species. LMB, Catfish, various pan fish (e.g., bluegill, sunfish) and certain ponds have some big carp. Locations are similar, I think the actual pier may get over fished but I have heard people say they landed one from there. For a family outing you probably want an easy to access spot so you can try the fountain pond across from the shopping center (park there and walk across, or you can park on the other side by the basketball courts / dog park and walk the path). Other ponds are close to the roads and you can park nearby so just a matter of deciding where works for you. Catching bluegills and similar is always going to be easy action, but bass is a bit trickier....there are some big fish in there (one guy said he pulled a 7 lb. from Pier); the harder part is getting on the bite consistently.

#3 Mar-31-16 4:54PM

HokieDJ

How old are your kids?  Little ones (<10) just take them to the pier and fish for blue gills.  There's bass in there for sure.  I caught a few 1.5 to 2lbs there in the summer.  The big pond at SR Blvd have bass too.  The end by the creek is usually my favorite spot.  There's a pond where they do the annual camping thing.  That one has some finicky bass but I have caught a 5lb there before.  I've heard the pond by the Dulles South Multicenter holds some big bass in there but I have only caught dinkers in there.

#4 Mar-31-16 5:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

Blue Gills are the ticket for little kids....bring them to the BRHS Fishing Tourney on May 14. They will have a blast.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer