Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-28-15 5:08PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Virginia Beach 4/24-4/27

Friday 4/24

I launched sometime after midnight on Friday for a "quick" 3 hour trip. Paddled around a bit and found a mess of blues in one spot. Worked on them for a while and then headed back in at 3:30am. Kept 5.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/rudee%20blues%204-24-15.jpg

Saturday 4/25

Saturday morning I went over the CBBT to look for tog at the concrete ships. It rained non-stop all day but other than that it was very pleasant out there. Caught a couple small tog, but the bigger ones seemed to be interested in other things.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/kipto%20tog%204-15-15.jpg

I found a bunch of nice tog up near the top of the water chasing each other around, looked like spawning behavior. I spent a while trying to get them to bite, but they had no interest in eating so I gave that up. The distracted tog did let me get really close, so I spent some time trying to get them on video, which came out terribly.

Came back in and fished from the pier for a little bit but I didn't catch anything except big wads of slimy brown grass on every cast.

Weather was nasty Saturday night and I was still drying out, so I caught up on sleep instead of fishing.

Sunday 4/26

Started Sunday morning by doing a couple hours of wading in Little Creek. Fished jigs and strip baits looking for flounder but came up empty. No bites or signs of life.

Later in the day I went to Rudee Inlet to fish from the rocks. I threw Gulp mullets and jerkshads for over 3 hours without a bite, then 10 minutes before I had to leave, I put on a pink Fin-S and caught a 20" flounder.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/rudee%20flounder%204-26-15.jpg

Sunday night I launched the yak again, think I got out around 9:30pm. It was chilly but super calm.

Started fishing a few paddle strokes from the ramp. First few fish were stripers, nothing huge but good pullage.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/rudee%20striper%204-26-15.jpg

Hit some of my favorite spots and caught some blues and a shad. I was mainly throwing paddletail plastics but also trolled a plug  when I paddled from spot to spot.

I saw some baitfish activity in one spot and also had some good marks on the depthfinder so I fan-casted the area. Missed one fish and a couple casts later hooked up to a nice overslot red!

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/rudee%20red%204-26-15.jpg

Caught one more striper there and then nothing. Pretty sure I could have caught more in that spot if the red hadn't dragged me all over it and spooked the school.

I worked my way back and caught some more blues, then pulled out sometime after 3am. Got a little sleep and headed home after a long and enjoyable weekend.

tight lines

#2 Apr-28-15 5:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Virginia Beach 4/24-4/27

That is quite a slamola!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-28-15 5:45PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice!  Thanks for sharing.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Apr-28-15 6:04PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Looks like you had a good weekend! What type of rod is that in the pic with the flounder?

#5 Apr-29-15 5:19AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks guys.

TyF wrote:

Looks like you had a good weekend! What type of rod is that in the pic with the flounder?

It's a Tica Libra. Great shore and wade fishing rod, but the handle is very long so it sucks for kayak fishing.

tight lines

#6 Apr-29-15 6:49AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

What a trip!!! Thanks for sharing and the pictures. What did you use to catch the blues?

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#7 Apr-29-15 7:28AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

firemunkee wrote:

What a trip!!! Thanks for sharing and the pictures. What did you use to catch the blues?

Caught most of them on Strike King and Z-Man paddletail minnows. They're made of that stretchy super plastic stuff so they hold up to bluefish teeth better than normal plastics. That's also what I caught the red and most of the stripers on.

Yesterday I smoked the blues and made bluefish salad. I just flaked the fish and added diced onion, a little mayo, and relish. It was amazingly good. Now I wish I would have kept more!

tight lines

#8 Apr-29-15 9:42AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Bryan wrote:

firemunkee wrote:

Caught most of them on Strike King and Z-Man paddletail minnows. They're made of that stretchy super plastic stuff so they hold up to bluefish teeth better than normal plastics. That's also what I caught the red and most of the stripers on.

Cool, good to know.

Bryan wrote:

Yesterday I smoked the blues and made bluefish salad. I just flaked the fish and added diced onion, a little mayo, and relish. It was amazingly good. Now I wish I would have kept more!

Sounds delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Board footer