Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-03-15 5:01PM

LouisD

Bullfrog Pond

Haven't had any time for fishing yet this season, but my son insisted on spending some time at Bullfrog.  We gave him an hour and he came up with only one..

And now a fish selfie.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/louisd/download_20150322_153042%202_zps7rp3vam8.jpeg

#2 Apr-03-15 6:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Bullfrog Pond

Nice....saw a couple of them cruising today....time to get the fly rod back out!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-03-15 6:34PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Couldn't even fit the whole fish in the picture, must have been a good one! I bet it was worth just that one. Nice job!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 Apr-04-15 7:00AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Which one are you calling Bullfrog pond?

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 Apr-04-15 7:10AM

Ernie
Administrator

I always look forward to the call of the frog...a true sign of warm weather.

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Apr-06-15 6:53AM

LouisD

Curly wrote:

Which one are you calling Bullfrog pond?

Umm, the one called Bullfrog Pond.. http://broadlandsnaturally.org/2010/05/ … frog-pond/ .. (https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid … &hl=en)

BTW -- There were some HUGE Bass (for a pond that size, maybe 5 lbs) that we kept seeing, but weren't biting.

#7 Apr-17-15 10:19AM

mkupchyk

Is there street parking there and access to the lake for people whose house does not back to the water?

#8 Apr-19-15 8:49AM

LouisD

mkupchyk wrote:

Is there street parking there and access to the lake for people whose house does not back to the water?

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes, there is.  You can park on Small Branch Place:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/39%C2 … !1s0x0:0x0

and the pin I dropped above is right at the community trail that leads to the dock about 75 feet back.  There are two GIGANTIC bass (one REALLY gigantic and one just gigantic, I've revised my estimate and think the bigger one has to be 7 pounds or more) that lurk under that dock that we just can't get to take anything.  On the other hand, if you want BG, you can pull 30 in 15 minutes without trying.

Last edited by LouisD (Apr-19-15 8:51AM)

#9 Apr-19-15 5:13PM

Fishfry
Northern Snakehead

Is this pond restricted to residents of Broadrun?

#10 Apr-19-15 7:29PM

LouisD

Not that I'm aware of.  There is one sign posted there that states that it is catch and release only, but other than that no other postings. 

Here's the Broadlands webpage regarding the pond: http://broadlandsnaturally.org/2010/05/ … frog-pond/

We went there today, no sign of the big bass.  We caught many many (too many) BGs, mainly 5-6 inches.   Not a single bite on anything we used to try and find Mr & Mrs Bass.

Because of the BG population, the place is very popular with kids during the mid-day hours on the weekends.  I would recommend avoiding it at that time unless the weather is lousy.

#11 May-20-15 7:11AM

mkupchyk

So I stopped by last night about 7pm and caught a 1.5lb bass in about 5 min (weightless Texas rigged 4" ring fry, 3/0 Owner keeper hook) but then my daughter had to use the bathroom (just like kids to say that only minutes after you get there) so we went over to Ashburn library for the facilities and to grab her some kids books, then afterward I tried the pond next to the parking lot and snagged another bass about the same size in the first 5 min. (this time on a Big Bite Baits Super Shad Bream 4" swimbait Texas rigged weightless on a 4/0 wide gap hook). After that the bite stopped but we did not stay very long.

Thanks Louis for the directions, I parked at the spot by the trail. The pond is tiny, smaller than I was expecting but seems like a perfect habitat to grow a few monster bass like the ones you described. It's actually slightly creepy there like you are in the middle of a mangrove swamp in Florida or something (maybe because it was just starting to get darker). That platform/deck is about 5 feet above the water so if you are fishing there and hook a bass bigger then a few pounds you would have to walk around and try and land it at the bottom of a bit of a steep slope at the side of the deck but there is no clear spot so you have to push aside some plants. I did notice there is a place around the right side where you can walk and fish at water level, but the grass is a bit overgrown so shorts may not be the best idea.

Last edited by mkupchyk (May-20-15 7:15AM)

Board footer