Administrator

STRIPER DIE-OFF IN CONNECTICUT

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jan-14-14 9:00AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: STRIPER DIE-OFF IN CONNECTICUT

That's terrible.

In other news, 2 poachers out of Baltimore killed thousands of pounds of striped bass in illegal nets, and in Virginia Beach the annual Rockfish shootout tournament...didn't weigh in a single fish.

The striper situation sucks right now sad

tight lines

#3 Jan-14-14 11:31AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Never heard of "cold shock."  At least it's somewhat natural.  I absolutely can't stand these illegal nets being in the water.  We need to find these people and cut off their hands.

#4 Jan-14-14 3:22PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

........... I absolutely can't stand these illegal nets being in the water.  We need to find these people and cut off their hands.

I'd also cut off something else to keep them from reproducing! big_smile

Last edited by Curly (Jan-14-14 3:23PM)

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 Jan-14-14 3:46PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

First, let me say I'm not against legal commercial fishing, and I know not all poaching is done by commercial fishermen. When the poachers are caught they normally receive a smack on the hand or a fine and possibly lose their commercial license. Judging from the number of repeat offenders those penalties aren't much of a deterent. The poaching charge can reslt in jail time as well as having their boat siezed and auctioned off. It seems to me if a poacher gets out of prison and has no boat to use it might cause hime to think twice before stealing any more of everyone's fish.

I think Curly's idea would also help since poaching seems to be a family trait in MD.

Last edited by Osprey (Jan-15-14 6:42AM)

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#6 Jan-14-14 5:44PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Osprey wrote:

I think Curly's idea would also hope since poaching seems to be a family trait in MD.

The exact reason for my statement:

Curly wrote:

I'd also cut off something else to keep them from reproducing! big_smile

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#7 Jan-15-14 12:31PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Osprey wrote:

First, let me say I'm not against legal commercial fishing, and I know not all poaching is done by commercial fishermen. When the poachers are caught they normally receive a smack on the hand or a fine and possibly lose their commercial license. Judging from the number of repeat offenders those penalties aren't much of a deterent. The poaching charge can reslt in jail time as well as having their boat siezed and auctioned off. It seems to me if a poacher gets out of prison and has no boat to use it might cause hime to think twice before stealing any more of everyone's fish.

Agreed. The punishments are so lenient that poachers have no reason not to do it again. They can just pay the fine by selling a few more days worth of illegal fish. I've never understood why we don't crack down harder on them, and the people who buy their fish.

tight lines

#8 Jan-15-14 1:27PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

The only time the punishment seemed fitting was when the Feds conducted that sting a few years ago. Caught several poachers a few wholesalers and markets and charged them under the Lacey Act. Those charges went to a Federal court where the judge and prosecuters had nothing to lose by throwing the book at them. Most of the time the bad guys appear in their home court where they ellect the judges and prosecuters. It's not hard to understand why they continue to skate. If it was one of us we'd be bidding to get our boat back at an auction. I've seen DNR officers at Aqualand wait till the boat was back on the trailer before they checked a cooler. One guy had an undersize striper and they confiscated his truck and all. Hope he caught a friendly judge, and I bet he learned a lesson about how to use a tape measure.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

Board footer