Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-06-14 2:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

My Limit Is One!

This year (2014) and beyond, I will keep very few stripers but....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/LimitisOne_zps5cd7ae5f.jpg

...and NO more!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jan-07-14 5:54AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: My Limit Is One!

Kudos to you. smile

This isn't an issue for me since I never catch more than one keeper size striper anyway!

tight lines

#3 Jan-07-14 6:00AM

Ernie
Administrator

The state of the stripers in the bay is suspect at best. Even if I keep one, it won't be a big breeder. Those days are long gone for me.

There is a lot of finger pointing (netters, hook and liners, Omega, recreationals, weather, chicken farms etc) going on but if we don't start being smart about this, we will go into another moratorium and who knows if the stock will come back.

Personally, I prefer to eat white perch.....

#4 Jan-07-14 7:18AM

John F
Website

I've chased  migratory fish down south  for almost 20 years and  I've seen it at it's best.

I was there during the great runs on the OBX.  Once you got out of the inlet , it was game on.   It would blow your mind how many big fish were laying on the dock. That's not even including all the boats coming back in at the ramp. Then the word started getting out. There would even be days were people got turned away by the local police because there was no place to park your trailer. I remember to this day , a local guide in NC  ( Ernie , you know who I'm talking about ) 8 years ago said " We're in trouble . We need to do something now " . Boy was he right !.

That was the last time I kept a big breeder. Most of the time I wouldn't even keep one of any size.  I just loved playing C&R . Finding these fish got harder and harder. Fish eventually stopped showing up in NC and we started chasing them out of VB. Big breeders  continued to be hung up at the fishing center or layed out on the docks. These charter guys knew what was happening , but I understand, bills need to be paid and I don't fault them for that.  I blame our  fisheries commission .

Well, last year was the worst . Four days of fishing , not one fish , and has continued into this year for many.  Haven't gone yet this year.   I don't know if this will make a difference but it sure can't hurt.  We need to start somewhere , and have everyone all up and down the coast to take part , if we want  any chance of saving this fishery.

I think a lot of peoples attitude was , don't worry about it now, we'll deal with it later. Later has come !

Last edited by John F (Jan-07-14 7:19AM)

" Think Like a Fish "

#5 Jan-07-14 7:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

Well stated John......

#6 Jan-07-14 9:48AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

The state of the stripers in the bay is suspect at best. Even if I keep one, it won't be a big breeder. Those days are long gone for me.

There is a lot of finger pointing (netters, hook and liners, Omega, recreationals, weather, chicken farms etc) going on but if we don't start being smart about this, we will go into another moratorium and who knows if the stock will come back.

Personally, I prefer to eat white perch.....

I'm with you.  I used to get charters for stripers and never thought much about this.  I've always just got one a year, but the past couple years....I haven't been able to get any.  So, this thread just validates my future plans of fishing for more sustainable fish....like catfish!   and NO.....it's not because it's the only fish I'm capable of catching....sorta.  hahaha

#7 Jan-07-14 10:05AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I need one of those with a martini glass in place of the convict bass. But to be more serious this is a great symbolic concept and idea. Many real fisherman will adopt this and some fish will be saved....

But the spring trophy fishery that supports so many charter boats will go on. The breeders will be fileted and the idea will be put to test on every big bay boat out there.

The spring trophy season is the one time that the bay charters make money.. money needed to kick start the season all summer long.

So at the expense of a future stock and short gains it will not make much of an impact.
Do not get me wrong I really think it is a great idea. It worked for bluefish in the late 70's to mid 80's very well. And Redfish also...(but redfish limits helped the most)

Just my 2 cents..
Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#8 Jan-07-14 10:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

Capt. Mike, your 2 cents is right on the money. I am doing this as gesture to recognize a problem. As well, I can't and won't cast a bad light on those who fish legally. It is their right whether charter or recreational.

Man I am glad that there are three hundred thousand bizillion white perch out there.....

#9 Jan-07-14 10:17AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I hear ya guys. I don't even fish for them in Fall anymore. The places I used to go no longer see much of a run, if any.

I usually make a trip during the Spring C&R season and catch a decent fish or two from the sand. Hoping that holds up this year.

tight lines

#10 Jan-07-14 1:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

There is a LOT of illegal fishing that goes on. Whether they net, troll, jig, gig etc, they (illegal fisher people) rape our resource.

I have no problem with what a person takes as long it's withing the regs. If we don't like the limits then we need to get them changed.

The reason that I started this thread was to bring more awareness in a positive way.  My actions will not make a hair of difference. But ours will.

Board footer