Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-26-13 1:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

10-26-13, out of Gravelly

It doesn't look very cold, does it?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/001_zps3dd8d9ca.jpg

Well, I worried more about going out today with the foretasted chilly AM temps and wind than I should have. But we went out anyway.

Curly, Bruce and I met up at 0640 and in an hour we were on the water. Luckily we only had a short run to where we wanted to fish but....the fish were not there.

These guys were though....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/003_zps5bf608b5.jpg

We fished the channel hard but saw almost no marks so we tried other parts of the river to no avail.

Knowing that the wind was blowing SW (in other words, blowing the stink into the city) we went down to the poop plant. We marked very little but then Curly took the skunk off with the 1st fish of the day!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/004_zps3753408d.jpg

Skunk is off. Just before we were getting to go, I got a subtle hit on my jigging spoon and landed the big fish of the day!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/005_zps23e21305.jpg

We then headed up river.... we trolled, jigged, threw spinnerbaits, crankbaits and silver buddies. No hits...no nothing!

We called it a day around 12:30 and went on back down river in a 15-20 mph headwind.

The wind made it tough later in the day, the blue bird sky made it tough all day. We ran into other fishermen that were skunked...we did not get skunked!

Good time out there despite it being the 1st cold water expedition of the fall.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Oct-26-13 1:58PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: 10-26-13, out of Gravelly

Been waiting for a WC report. I was hoping for something better, but at least you got out there. Too soon for them to be gone, don't you think?

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Oct-26-13 3:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Water temps were in the mid 50s. They should have been there. We didn't go all the way back though....

#4 Oct-26-13 3:42PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Osprey wrote:

Been waiting for a WC report. I was hoping for something better, but at least you got out there. Too soon for them to be gone, don't you think?

Nope, they have not been there at all this year.......just a few dinks here and there.

2 bad striper years in a row for the WC in the fall............a little depressing.

Last edited by Curly (Oct-26-13 3:43PM)

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 Oct-26-13 5:27PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I was out at the WW bridge today and I also called it a day once the wind picked up as I was expecting.   Caught 8 cats, one I believe was a white catfish.  The biggest ones were 30" and 27".

#6 Oct-27-13 2:51AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

We were trying to catch stripers? Now they tell me. I thought we were just out for a sunny day boat ride amidst friends on the historic and scenic Potomac. Guess I'll need to pay more attention when they hand out the assignments on the drive to the water...
Bruce

#7 Oct-27-13 5:01AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bruce wrote:

We were trying to catch stripers? Now they tell me. I thought we were just out for a sunny day boat ride amidst friends on the historic and scenic Potomac. Guess I'll need to pay more attention when they hand out the assignments on the drive to the water...

But you did have a relaxing day.......

#8 Oct-27-13 6:13AM

dave
Northern Snakehead

Capt Mike and I were on the river too.  Many eater cats but, no monsters.  Yes,  the sailboats were out in force.  Some almost laid out flat on the water it was so windy.  It was windy and cold (I like the cold) but,  when we got back to the ramp,  the Buffalo Trace warmed us up real nice like.

#9 Oct-27-13 8:39AM

Ernie
Administrator

dave wrote:

the sailboats were out in force.  Some almost laid out flat on the water it was so windy.

We saw one between Key and Memorial Bridges....he was laid out flat only inches from the water. He was good...or lucky!

dave wrote:

It was windy and cold (I like the cold)

Not me....give me those hot summer night in the pads anytime!

#10 Oct-28-13 3:59AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

But you did have a relaxing day.......

Absolutely...I always do with you guys.
Bruce

#11 Oct-28-13 5:18AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

A couple of Chincoteague ersters chased down with some Buffalo Trace was delightful. The ribs and chicken good as always.
Weather not so good and the big ones never showed. Sunday was pleasant and still no big ones for our efforts. But they did get about 40 some eater cats to take home. 

Might be my last trip depending on weather in November on the Potomac. Heading for parts south several times in November also. Will post reports..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer