Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-17-13 6:01PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

CBKA 2013 Results

Our event was a huge success. I have bills to pay so don't exactly know how much will go to Make-A-Wish Mid Atlantic and CCA MD just yet uuntil I sort out all the expenses. But, here's the summary from the 2013 CBKA event.

If it weren't for the windy conditions (again!) it would have been perfect! But a great time was had by all. We had 104 online registrations, almost 3 times from year 1!! Highlights include:

Raw oyster bar and CBKA friend, author, and CCA rep Shawn Kimbro at the Captain's meeting. The oysters were donated by Tyler Sondberg of Great Eastern Shellfish. Shawn provided words of support and the local fishing report. What a great combo.

The Friday night potluck get together was a huge hit. It was a great time meeting fellow kayak anglers and swapping stories. The food was excellent including the donated crabs from Bette S. Kenzie of Easton, MD and coordinated by Dana "Coop" Cooper. And the Masgouf style open fire fish roast was provided by Mustafa Hussin(AbuMasgouf on snaggedline). Thank you, Mustafa and Coop!

Saturday came and the wind had not subsided. But, a number of brave anglers went out on the main stem of the bay to fish the bridge. The majority opted for the relative calm areas on the eastern side of Kent Island. Those that braved the 3' waves were rewarded with the larger and more numerous striped bass that were caught. Personally, I would have left the donated Carefree Boat Club chase boat at the dock if I didn't commit to be out there with fellow director Martin and volunteer photographer, Russ Hewitt. Alot more fish were caught this year including striped bass to 30" for the win. Another went 29" and several others in the upper 20 inch range.

Speakers at Saturday's awards included Ms. Ashley Jefferson of Make-a-Wish Mid Atlantic. Ashley provided some examples of wishes granted to local kids including a great video of little 8 year old Lateef meeting his hero, RGIII. You'd have ice in your veins if that video didn't reach you.

CCA MD Executive Director Tony Friedrich provided a summary of CCA efforts to "defend the fish" and brought along surprise speaker, Tom O'Connell, Maryland Dept. of Natural Resources Director of Fisheries. Tom provided words of support for our grass roots efforts of conservation and updates on DNR activities to support local fisheries.

This year we held 3 raffles. The regular raffle was for accessories, fishing equipment, gift certificates, books, and more. A second raffle for a Hobie kayak donated by Easton Cycle & Sport sold out! The 3rd raffle for a Jackson Kayak Coosa donated by Valley Mill Boats along with several other high end items was a great success.

Overall, our most successful event to date. Looking forward to next year. Thank you!!

Regards, John
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Tournament Director
www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com

Results:

Slam Division (Striped Bass + Bluefish + White Perch) - Sponsored by Easton Cycle & Sport

1st - Richard Souder - 51"
    2nd - Jimmy McDermott - 44.5"

3rd - Jason Pratt - 36"

CCA $500 Biggest Fish Award - Sponsored by Coastal Conservation Association of MD

Richard Souder - 30" Striped Bass

Striped Bass Division - Sponsored by Backyard Boats

1st - Mike Rosa - 29"
    2nd - Chris Burke - 26"

3rd - Don Huber - 22.5"

Perch Division - Sponsored by All Tackle

1st - Roger Metz - 11.5"
    2nd - Nathan Oakes - 11 3/8"

3rd - Ryan Altenburg - 11 1/4"

Largest Bluefish - Sponsored by Katherine Charters

Don Huber - 10"

Lady Angler Division - Sponsored by Appomattox River Company

1st - Samantha Ferline - 13" Striped Bass
    2nd - Michelle Vieraitis - 10" Perch

Blue Crab Division - Sponsored by Fisherman's Crab Deck

Harry Steiner (caught the crab on a fly!)

Fly Division - Sponsored by Tochterman Tackle

Mark Bange - 11.25" Striped Bass

BKD Prize - Sponsored by Bass Kandy Delights

Richard Souder - 18.25" Striped Bass - Biggest fish on a BKD

Hobie Prize - Sponsored by Backyard Boats

Richard Souder - Biggest fish on a Hobie Kayak

Senior Angler Prize

Larry Walquarnery

Grandmother Angler Prize

Kaye James

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#2 Sep-18-13 4:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: CBKA 2013 Results

Well done!

Now stay away from Sep. 14 (anniversary #40) next year so I can participate.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-18-13 11:37AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

I caught my first striped bass at the tourney!  But it was only 14" ha.  Great experience.  I didn't feel like my yak could handle the rough water out in the bay so I went to the inland side of the island.  The bite seemed to be very tough but I will never call myself an expert at saltwater fishing.  Either way, great night and day.

#4 Sep-18-13 2:53PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

BillyBigMouth wrote:

I caught my first striped bass at the tourney!  But it was only 14" ha.  Great experience.  I didn't feel like my yak could handle the rough water out in the bay so I went to the inland side of the island.  The bite seemed to be very tough but I will never call myself an expert at saltwater fishing.  Either way, great night and day.

Glad you had fun! It's what it's all about along with supporting a couple great causes. Hope to see you next year.

And you made the right call launching on the eastern side. I was not at all happy being out on the bay in a 22' boat!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#5 Sep-18-13 2:54PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Well done!

Now stay away from Sep. 14 (anniversary #40) next year so I can participate.....

Uh oh...  :-)

Congratulations in advance, Ernie! That's a big one.

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#6 Sep-19-13 5:49PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3onmk94usqyge6r/vFDmMIX3zW#/

We have 1100 more! Stay tuned...

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#7 Sep-23-13 5:06AM

Ernie
Administrator

Great job guys....what an outstanding event this has turned out to be.

#8 Sep-23-13 6:23PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Thanks Ernie!

BTW, a gazillion pics now available on our website. Go to the "Tournament Results" page, scroll down and on the left, under photos click a category to view, copy, download, etc. Here's the direct link:

http://chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com/pastResults.html

Please feel free to link, add to your site, Facebook, etc.

Enjoy!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#9 Sep-25-13 8:44AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

It was a lot of fun and hats off to Jeff and the crew who put the tournament together! It is a lot of work and they make it look easy!

Here is a Masgouf 101 that I did Friday night (special thanks to Toyomo for filming it and MOC for putting it together, both members of snaggedline):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SJUT_sToJo

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#10 Sep-25-13 9:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

I heard that the Masgouf was a huge hit......

#11 Sep-27-13 5:21PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

I heard that the Masgouf was a huge hit......

It was!! And the potluck, too. We're gonna get it started earlier next year.

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

#12 Sep-27-13 5:23PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Thanks to everyone for your support of this year's CBKA event. After expenses we have raised over $8,000 for Make-a-Wish and CCA MD. WOW! Big, big thanks to all!

That number will go up with proceeds from the online store which, closes tomorrow at noon. Last call until our next event! Here's a direct link:

http://itzdone.com/shop/chesapeake-bay-anglers-hat/

Also, we received a wonderful note of thanks and support from Tom O'Connell, Maryland DNR Director of Fisheries. Seems CBKA has a friend at the DNR. That is a testimonial to all your support. Can't say thank you enough!

John – Thank you for your personal note. It was a pleasure attending, and I really appreciate you providing me a few minutes to introduce myself to your members. Your event was among the best I have ever attended, and I left the event with enthusiasm. It was refreshing to be among such a diverse group of individuals, both in age, gender and ethnicity, something that separates your association from many others. Kayak anglers are a growing segment of our fishing public, and I look forward to establishing a relationship with you and your members. Please do not ever hesitate to contact me if you and/or your members have any questions, concerns, or need assistance. Take care. Tom

Regards,
John Foley
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Tournament Director
www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com
571-236-4557

Cobra Explorer Kayak
www.cbkainc.com

Board footer