Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-06-13 5:03AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Tautog Fishing Cape Henlopen on May 4, 2013

It was a long day loaded with fun.
One thing I learned this time was that steamed shrimp (I prepared 3+ weeks ago) worked very well. A zip bag of a dozen of the steamed shrimp has been refrozen twice earlier because I didn't use it during the past two trips. After ran out of 2 dozen of frozen shrimp, I used the cooked shrimp.  I caught 4 togs on steamed shrimp.  I felt that steamed shrimp are as good as fresh shrimp, or possibly better.   Next time, I will bring 2 dozen of steamed shrimp (and Old Bay) to confirm that tautog love steamed shrimp

I also used frozen blue crab.  I vacuum-sealed 24 blue crab quarters in each bag in December last year to test if frozen blue crab over 4 months would work well for tautog in this spring.  I brought one bag of 24 quarters (which was also re-frozen twice because I didn’t use it during the last trips).
After I ran out of the steamed shrimp, I tested the frozen blue crab.  I couldn’t land any togs but I had bites. I did confirm that the frozen blue crab works last year after Tufnik mentioned and confirmed.
I need to do more testing on the frozen blue crab that have been frozen over 5 months

I was glad that Minh (the youg kid) came with us. It was his first time tog fishing, and he caught two keeper togs and several under sized.

One of mine was 20". I think one of Minh's was 20" if laid on a flat surface.  I placed the frisky togs on my lap when I measured them with a flexible ruler.

The video fishing Log:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyMu-ihQlHY

Board footer