Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-09-13 2:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

3-9-13, a big ZERO at the big "O" plus some adventure!

Today was the 1st day to splash the Targa for this year.

I met up with Curly and Jeff and went on down the road with great anticipation of a yellow perch and/or crappie bite. We had heard that the water was muddy (it was up river) but when we got there, it was stained (down river) but very fishable. There were a few trailers in the lot at Occoquan but certainly less than what we expected.

We started at a favorite hole and and saw lots of bait so we were exited. Curly called out that they were mud shad. How does he know? But we got no bumps. We always pluck one or two out of this well known hole.

Right before we decided to go down river, Curly called out, "fish on" and our skunk was off.    smile

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/001-47_zps076b3e91.jpg

It was a fish....the type that he had called out earlier....a mud shad!

We began fishing the YP holes with only a bump or two. Twigs? We ran in to another YP boat and they had caught nothing so we decided to go back up river....where it was fast and muddy. That is the most water I had ever seen coming down the rocks from the reservoir.

While we did mark some fish, we believe they were all shad.

We had a nice day out on the water, a great way to kick off the fishing season....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/002-52_zps6ca9b54b.jpg

....or not.

After a stop at the boys room (this will come in to play later) we went up the road and headed home....happy we were out on a glorious day but dejected that we zeroed out.

While on FX County Pkwy, we happened on an accident and I stopped to see if we could be of help. Everyone appeared to be OK but there were a few welts and sore necks (air bags deployed) so we stayed until the authorities arrived. 1st on the scene was an occupied tow truck (car on it) but the driver got out to get a sense of the scene. I was impressed by that.

So we get back on the road and a few minutes later a van start laying on the horn. Jeff opened the window and they guy yelled out, "tire". I looked back and smoke was coming out of the rear left trailer fender so we pulled over.

This is what my tire looked like!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/005-41_zpsf8cb5bbd.jpg

This is what it should look like!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/004-49_zps59af6522.jpg

Curly took a quick look and made the assessment. Hub is busted....deep doodo!  mad

I have Boat US Towing so I called them and within a few minutes they called back and said the truck would be there in less than an hour. OK, we will wait and chill out!!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/006-47_zpsb4b57ce6.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/007-38_zpse6c476ba.jpg

It did take a little longer than an hour but we were happy to see the tow truck. Once the driver looked at the width of my boat, I knew we were in trouble. It would not fit. We tried and the wheel almost fell off!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/008-36_zps38119259.jpg

The joys of owning a boat!!  roll

So...another call to Boat US (I also gave them the name of a local comapny that could bring a wider truck) and within 30 minutes, we had another truck on the scene. And...it was the same fellow that we had seen at the accident. I knew we were in good shape.

Eric was an expert and how he got my trailer up on the truck is still puzzling but he was good. And he was careful...an safe. He put on quite a few straps....that boat was not going anywhere.

On to D & S Marine (Waldorf) he went!

Through all of this, I had been in contact with Jay, the owner of D & S Marine. He felt bad because they had installed the bearings last year. He was going to come out and fix it when he heard how much the tow bill was going to be. But we all though it was best that the boat get towed to D & S and get it fixed there.

Well, it was nice spending some nice roadside quality time with Curly and Jeff. They were very patient and understood that this stuff happens.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Mar-09-13 4:53PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 3-9-13, a big ZERO at the big "O" plus some adventure!

I didn't know Boat US offered roadside assistance too. That's great.

Thanks for the detailed report!

tight lines

#3 Mar-09-13 5:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

They have several plans...I have Unlimited Trailer and Water towing.

#4 Mar-10-13 9:19AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Ouch!  That sucks!  Looking at the positives.....Lucky that thing didn't come all the way off on the highway!  That could have changed a lot of people's lives.

It is situations like this that can really bring out the good people in the world.  Curly and Jeff's patience, understanding and friendship/company; the guy who took the time to tell you about the tire (how many others drove by); and the tow truck operator (is that good Karma that the same guy came to help you?); and Ernie who thought enough to bring extra, emergency cigars for just such an occasion!

Hope you are back on the road soon and not too much lighter in the wallet.

Last edited by GregF (Mar-10-13 9:22AM)

#5 Mar-10-13 9:50AM

Craig

Very lucky - like Greg said, could have been much worse. I got a flat tire a few years back on Father's Day on the way back from Solomons Island with my old boat. Jacked it up to remove the tire and found that one of the stud welds had cracked, with the lug nut just free spinning the stud on the back of the axle and preventing the flat tire from coming off. Had to get towed back to Annandale which was about $300-$400 bucks alone just for the tow and another couple of hundred to fix the weld and replace the tire. Good luck on the repairs!

#6 Mar-10-13 11:57AM

Ernie
Administrator

The tow bill will be between $600-$900 but that will be covered by Boat US.

You guys are right that we were lucky to have that guy honk at us. That tire was seconds from coming off.

We all have our stories...this just adds to them!

#7 Mar-10-13 3:30PM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Like Greg said "Hope you are back on the road soon and not too much lighter in the wallet."

Go Fish!

#8 Mar-10-13 4:06PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Could have been soooooooo much worse.  We (Ernie) were lucky!  It all worked out in the end..........3 old salts were not rattled and we all got home safely!

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#9 Mar-10-13 5:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

I should be back in operating condition in a couple of days. Jay at D & S will make sure of that.

#10 Mar-10-13 7:30PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Wow what a story! I totally share GregF's sentiment, "It is situations like this that can really bring out the good people in the world"

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#11 Mar-11-13 7:03AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

What is it with you and boat trailer wheels? LOL

Glad everyone made it home safe.

#12 Mar-11-13 7:25AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Ouch! Glad that guy let you all know before things got worse! Glad to hear it all worked out

#13 Mar-11-13 7:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

purpleworm wrote:

What is it with you and boat trailer wheels? LOL

That was quite a day too!

http://www.pacemakerfishing.com/forum/v … hp?id=2447

#14 Mar-11-13 9:34AM

Ernie
Administrator

Trailer is fixed and ready to come home.....may not have been the bearings that started the problem but now both wheel hub nuts are reinforced.

#15 Mar-12-13 3:28AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

That's quite the scare!!! Glad everyone is safe and, although it sucks, i'm glad it panned out the way it did! Best case scenario aside from it never happening.

#16 Mar-15-13 9:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

Boat is back in the barn.....D & S Marine in Waldorf is amazing!  They changed out the system a year ago. That is enough time for things to go bad. Jay, the owner, did not want or take any payment. I threatened to beat him up but he still resisted (thankfully, he didn't beat me up as he is younger, badder and stronger). I must send him a surprise.....

#17 Mar-15-13 10:48AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Wow!!  That is a big bill avoided.  What are you going to do with all that money?  Another fishfinder?  Maybe those power poles you were considering?

Just trying to help spend your money! big_smile

#18 Mar-15-13 11:19AM

Craig

Classy move on his behalf. Always nice to hear about marine service people who take care of their customers (filing away their info for future reference!).

#19 Mar-15-13 11:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

GregF wrote:

Wow!!  That is a big bill avoided.  What are you going to do with all that money?  Another fishfinder?  Maybe those power poles you were considering?

No PP...Mo just got one on his boat  (Carl's) so I am anxious to see how it goes.

Don't need that FF to chase NSH and white perch.....

I will use money not spent to buy a hub/bearing assembly to have as a spare.....may need it when we go to Norris Lake TN this summer. Taking the boat.

#20 Mar-15-13 11:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

Craig wrote:

(filing away their info for future reference!).

Good move on your part...not that far from Annandale.

#21 Mar-15-13 7:23PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

GregF wrote:

No PP...Mo just got one on his boat  (Carl's) so I am anxious to see how it goes.

Don't need that FF to chase NSH and white perch.....

I will use money not spent to buy a hub/bearing assembly to have as a spare.....may need it when we go to Norris Lake TN this summer. Taking the boat.

Norris...is that the big striper lake in TN?

#22 Mar-15-13 7:30PM

Bassaholic
Northern Snakehead

Wow.  You don't hear Norris Lake, TN mentioned much in NOVA.  I spent practically every summer on Norris Lake until I was 18 with my dad and uncles walleye fishing.  Can still smelll the musty odor in my grandfathers lake cabin cellar.  Great memories and an awesome place to fish.   Check out Chapman Village Drive just south of La Follette....that's my old stomping grounds.  Enjoy!

#23 Mar-15-13 7:42PM

Ernie
Administrator

I have never been to Norris Lake but am looking forward to it. We are doing this instead of OBX. We rented a house right on the lake and have a striper trip planed for the Monday we are there. 

We are at Waterfront Trail just off Cedar Creek Rd and not far from Chapman Village.

Walleyes in the summer Bassaholic? I must know how!

Board footer