Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-27-12 7:38AM

Ernie
Administrator

Hook1

I jut spent some time (30+ minutes)with Chad Hoover, owner of Hook1, on how to rig my Hobie for a FF.

I highly recommend using his company for your yaking needs.....I now know more about rigging than I need to but he was a pleasure to speak with and very knowledgeable.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Dec-27-12 8:08AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Hook1

He hosts the " Kayak Bass Fishing" show on verizon's WFN network. Pretty good program, he fishes from a wilderness yak. Did Santa bring you a fish finder?

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Dec-27-12 8:11AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Did Santa bring you a fish finder?

Nope.....but one will be on order soon.

Garmin echo 300c Dual-Beam FF or Lowrance Elite-4x DSI Sonar w/455/800 T/M Transducer or......something else?

#4 Dec-27-12 1:50PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Ernie, check this out at the gps store. A little bigger and a little more money, but it comes with the navionics gold chip included. Looks like a good deal.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-Eli … -Gold.aspx

Be sure to add it to your cart for the sale price, way below list.

#5 Dec-27-12 3:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

Bob- you sure are good at spending my $$!!   lol

That unit is better than what I have on my boat....oh, I get it, take the one off my boat and put it on the yak!  tongue

#6 Dec-27-12 5:17PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Why should I be the only one with no stash left. I'll be back  :-)

#7 Dec-28-12 9:16PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Just to add my endorsement of Chad Hoover.  He is a down to earth guy who is doing a great job of putting together a quality company and being 100% devoted to helping everyone when they ask for it.  Tyler is currently sponsored by Hook1 and Chad has become a quick friend.  He is always willing to help.

#8 Dec-29-12 2:09AM

Ernie
Administrator

GregF wrote:

Just to add my endorsement of Chad Hoover.  He is a down to earth guy who is doing a great job of putting together a quality company and being 100% devoted to helping everyone when they ask for it.  Tyler is currently sponsored by Hook1 and Chad has become a quick friend.  He is always willing to help.

We talked about this....after he answered my 13 questions. I knew I was talking to "Chad" but did not now was the same one until we finished. He spoke hightl of Tyler....and you too Greg!

He was very helpful.

#9 Dec-30-12 4:24PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Ernie,

I'm contemplating a Lowrance Elite 4 or a Humminbird 587ci DI HD combo... They are not in the same class but I like the higher end Humminbird model for DI.

I've heard mixed opinions about DI...  What are your thoughts?

By the way, west marine is selling that same model (Elite-5 DSI Gold Fishfinder / Chartplotter Combo) for $469. 99

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se … leOptOut=1

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Dec-30-12 4:33PM)

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#10 Dec-31-12 6:41AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Chad's good people.

#11 Mar-07-13 6:08AM

Ernie
Administrator

So I finally opened the box that Chad sent on 12/29 since I finally bought the FF for the PA (last week) and I realized I need some bolt caps. I called him and he remembered my order. he is sending me these 3 pieces....no charge. I wonder who I will get my kayak rigging stuff from going forward?

#12 Mar-07-13 12:20PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

I didn't know you had a PA for a while.  Let's go catch some togs!!!

#13 Mar-07-13 1:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

ComeOnFish wrote:

I didn't know you had a PA for a while.  Let's go catch some togs!!!

Joe- most of my yak fishing has been floats on the Upper Potomac and a local reservoir. I did venture out with Bob last year at the 301 but we were right near the shore.

I would love to go after togs though......is that a live bait only game?

#14 Mar-07-13 5:25PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

AbuMasgouf wrote:

Ernie,

I'm contemplating a Lowrance Elite 4 or a Humminbird 587ci DI HD combo... They are not in the same class but I like the higher end Humminbird model for DI.

I've heard mixed opinions about DI...  What are your thoughts?

By the way, west marine is selling that same model (Elite-5 DSI Gold Fishfinder / Chartplotter Combo) for $469. 99

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se … leOptOut=1

I don't think DI adds much to a quality 2D sonar.  Save up for a unit w/ SI capability. 95% of the time I have either an SI-only view or a SI/2D sonar split view on my Humminbird.

Just my 2c.

#15 Mar-07-13 6:24PM

Ernie
Administrator

Mike- I am glad you answered Mustafa because I was away when he sent that inquiry and I missed it. He is using it on a yak.

#16 Mar-10-13 7:39PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

Mike- I am glad you answered Mustafa because I was away when he sent that inquiry and I missed it. He is using it on a yak.

Thank guys.... I ended up going with the Humminburd 587 ci di hd a couple of months ago. I knew I wanted to get a 5" screen, GPS, and color, so the extra cost of the DI was worth it for me to get that "other perspective." It is really neat how you can clearly see the branches and structure on the bottom with the DI. I went with Humminbird because the Lawrance units I saw didn't allow split screen with sonar and DI, while humminbird did. I use that view the most and I can always double check what I'm seeing on the sonar...

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Mar-10-13 7:40PM)

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

Board footer