Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-27-13 11:10AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

A 20 cent Cast-able Trolling rig with two lures

This is about a homemade cast-able rig with two lures.  I am presenting my new rig and the result of the first field trip.
Please Comment. I need feed back please

Lake Anna stripers are skittish. Even though they are the same Chesapeake Bay strand stripers, they react differently to the typical Chesapeake Bay lures.  This made me  and other bay striper angles frustrated.

Past 5 trips, I studied and learned the lures for the lake.  I found a set of lures that worked for stripers in Lake Anna. I also searched for a rig that can be cast and trolled.  I tried Alabama rigs and some homemade lure with teasers. I found that the Alabama rigs, Chesapeake Bay umbrella rig, and my home made rigs weren't quite suitable for all situations - clear vs stained water or sunny day vs cloudy day, etc.

I used to trolled two lures on one rod - I call the rig with two lures tandem rig. Tandem lure rig had been good when I search for the right lures for the day.  In Lake Anna, I needed an additional feature on a tandem rig.  Cast-able is the additional feature that was needed while searching for the right lures for stripers in Lake Anna.

I finally made the tandem lure that can be cast and can be trolled with light tackles.  My tandem lure didn't scare away stripers like Alabama rig.  An two lure on my tandem rig don't mate (getting tangled).  And My tandem rig won't spin during the trolling.

I will be using the rig for Chesapeake Bay stripers for sure with heavier jigs and bigger lures. I will be using the rig for redfish and speckled sea trout. The rig will work well with redfish and speckled sea trout I think.  The rig will be also good for WP.

During the first 6 hour field test, I caught 22stripers

BTW, I learned this.  In Lake Anna, use only plain LEAD Jig with no colors.  This way you can put any lures you want.  Though Pearl Body and sparkles are key.

The instructions and result of the first field test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o588ibC4nOc

Last edited by ComeOnFish (Feb-27-13 11:21AM)

#2 Feb-27-13 12:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: A 20 cent Cast-able Trolling rig with two lures

Joe- some of us have fished (casting or trolling) with twin lures for a long time. Sometimes, I tie in a leader with a double uni using the tag (long) for one of the lures. I learned it from John Keeler. I have also used this for a teaser fly.

Curly often uses a double rig when fishing for stripers or perch but I find them to be a pain so I stick to single lures.

As well, I like lead colored heads which makes it easy to put on any color body but frankly, I use what ever I have in the box at the time.

For ANna, I find that the Toothache spoon is best as well as the Specialized Baits L'il Bunker.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-27-13 3:38PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

.........Curly often uses a double rig when fishing for stripers or perch.............

I've been using a home made tandem jig setup for years..........just like yours but no metal.  I use 30lb Cajun red line with a 12" drop for 3/8 to 1/2 oz jig and a 24" lighter 3/16 to 1/4 oz jig on a barrel swivel (keeps it from twisting up).  Both tipped with either swimbaits or curlytails.  Here is one of my many doubles on such a rig with a buddies fish (fish on left) on a single rig to give us a "triple".  THis is one of my "go-to" striper rigs.  The vast majority of single hits are on the lighter jig.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/FISH%20PICS%2010-08%20on/DSC02132.jpg

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Feb-27-13 4:12PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

It seems like the one Curly describes would have more of a chance of tangling?  Joe's looks like it would minimize that.  Do you have to worry about line wrap and tangling when you cast Curly? Or, do you mostly jig it like a drop shot?

Last edited by GregF (Feb-27-13 4:13PM)

#5 Feb-27-13 4:24PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

It's not for jigging.  Only for casting and sometimes trolling.  Rarely does it tangle because of the 30-lb mono, plus the barrel swivel does not allow line twist.  Ernie has watched me use this setup many times.......he can vouch for non-tangle and no line twist. Only time I have to make an adjustment..........is to put a new curlytail on it after the stripers have chewed it up big_smile .

#6 Feb-27-13 5:11PM

Ernie
Administrator

For jigging it would be better to have a teaser fly vs another jig.

And yes, Curly uses the rig he describes most of the time when striper fishing without issues.

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Feb-27-13 7:07PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Curly,
Can you post the pic of your rig please.  I am preparing for the Bay Stripers. Next Weekend, I am going to hit Hunter's Landing (Lake Anna).  I will be looking for bigger stripers.  Also I am going to practice with 1/2oz (top) and 1.5oz (bottom) jigs.

Thanks
Joe

#8 Feb-28-13 8:38AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2013%20pics/stripertandemrig_zpse6f6cf76.png

#9 Feb-28-13 9:56AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Curly,
Thank you. I got it

joe

#10 Feb-28-13 11:35AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

That rig Curly posted is also a very popular rig for flounder fishing in Delaware. If you go to the Cape Henlopen pier that's about the only thing you'll see anybody use for flatties. We cast them and twitch them across the bottom. These days most people are using them with two 1/4oz jigheads tipped with Gulp.  For trout or shad I use 2.5" fin-s and 1/8oz heads.

tight lines

#11 Feb-28-13 7:58PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

I used Curlys rig.  But I did not use a barrel swivel.  I used a 3-way swivel.  When I have time, I made a dropper loop knot.  I attached the jigs (hooks) to the end of the lines (dropper loop rig).  Then I connected the loop to the main line using a coastal lock swivel.

Dropper loop rig spread the line a bit better than the 3-way swivel. Dropper loop rig spread the lines wider if light jigs are used. 

I (kayakers) fish while sitting on a kayak.  I don't have space. It is not that easy to reach the top of the rod while sitting when every rod is tethered to the kayak. The most of kayakers don't use two lures on a line.  Only a few kayakers use teaser fly for vertical jigging.

Joe

#12 Mar-01-13 5:17AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

3-way swivels will tangle up terribly when casting sad .

#13 Mar-01-13 11:42AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Curly wrote:

3-way swivels will tangle up terribly when casting sad .

You are right.  I dropped the rig when I was moving nicely. That was why I was looking for a cast-able rig with two lures. 

The issues with the Dropper loop rig with two long leaders was I had to replace the whole rig when one leader was damaged.  Making a new dropper Loop leader rig while sitting on a kayak wasn't productive at all...  So I premade the dropper loop rig with jigs and hooks and kept one on each sandwich bag.

Joe

Board footer