Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-17-13 4:37AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Lake Anna Stripers near Dike1 (cold side) - Feb 16, 2016

Finalizing Lake Anna Striper Lures

It was a tough day.  I fished in a new area, Dike 1, in the cold side of Lake Anna.  I launched from High Point Marina (208 Bridge) and trolled 2.5-3 miles to Dike 1.  Between 8:30am-12:00pm, I did not see any striper images on the FF.  I saw only once a small school of undersized striper less than 20".  There, along the edges, 12'-17' drop-off from flats, I trolled and trolled.  I didn't jig because I didn't see stipers.  But I knew stripers were there along the edges.

I used two tandem trolling rigs one at a time.  One was an umbrella (Alabama) rig with two lures.  The other was homemade - made of stainless trolling wire (124# test). On both rigs,  I used two different lures (different colors or different types)

A single rig was used on my port side.  I used a 3/4oz lead jig with a 5" BA.  The most Lake Anna anglers use 3.5 - 4 inch lures.  The Lake Anna stripers behave quite differently from Chesapeake Bay stripers - according to the anglers fishing both lake Anna and Chesapeake Bay

Between 12:05pm and 03:30pm before I headed back to the marina, I caught 5 stripers at around 18". Two hit the tandem rigs and three hit the single rig.  One of the the purposes of the tandem rigs is to find the lures the stripers prefer on a given day.

Yesterday, the stripers preferred 5" BA (Salt&Pepper with chartreuse tail) over 5" BA (Pear with chartreuse tail). This can be reversed on any given day.  Striper didn't hit a crank-bait (not on the video)

I think now I have go-to lures for the clear water in Lake Anna.  I may not need tandem rigs any more.

This fishing log is all about the lures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOVCfPnCS08

Joe

#2 Feb-17-13 6:05AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Lake Anna Stripers near Dike1 (cold side) - Feb 16, 2016

Cold, rain, snow, sleet...and 5 stripers to top it off!

Nice!!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer